Two Nerds Do Disney World - FINAL Update 5/12

OK it's still Tuesday for some of you....

Saturday 3/8

We got up at 7am today (our last full day!!) so we could hopefully make it to our 8:30am breakfast reservation at Ohana. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what time we got to the Poly? If you said 8:16am you’re right!! It took us until our LAST DAY but we FINALLY made it to an ADR on time!!!

IMG_3522.jpg

He looks so grumpy doesn’t he?

Our breakfast was great (as usual) we were so full when we left which was about 9:30am.
Of course, Stitch came by to say Happy Birthday to Lumar (he was still wearing his button).

IMG_3527.jpg

Oh yeah…feeling better on a full stomach!

When we first arrived on Main Street USA, I got really excited because Jiminy Cricket was doing meet & greets! We never met him before and I’ve heard that he’s a fairly rare character.

IMG_3528.jpg

We decided that today we were going to focus on meeting characters as we didn’t really do much of that this week and it’s always one of our favorite things to do. I love how they can change their interaction styles depending on the age of the person they’re meeting.

I realized later in the day when I was flipping through the pics on my camera that my stupid eyes were closed. Don’t I always yell at Lumar for blinking and now here I am with my eyes shut. I was so upset :sad1:

As we were headed towards the hub (before Jiminy) we saw a fairly large tour group…looked like maybe 100 teenagers, on their Senior Class Trip. My first thought was “why couldn’t my high school have a cool trip like this?” And then I realized that they were all headed to Tomorrowland…exactly where we were going! I shoved Lumar up onto the sidewalk so we could speed walk past the crowd to get in line for FP’s at Space. We made it just before the class trip people, and they all got in the stand-by line…. Figures. :sad2:

After we got our FP’s we went over to CoP (which, ironically enough, I am listening to “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” right now as I’m typing this).

I love this attraction so much. I never want them to change it. Although Lumar realized that the virtual reality glove that the son is wearing in the last scene, is actually one of those light up gloves that CMs sell during Fantasmic. He knows, because he bought one on the last trip. :rolleyes:

After Cop, we went on Buzz’s Space Ranger Spin again and I am proud to say that we both did much better this time although I didn’t write down our scores. Im pretty sure I broke 200,000 and Lumar had like 180,000 or something like that. It was a close score but I know I definitely won this time! Lumar bought the ride photo for us and we had it shipped to the front gate.

Buzz.jpg

We look so enthralled, don’t we? You’d think we were really saving the galaxy or something!

After Buzz, we went back to Space to use our FP’s and the ride was down!!

We walked over to Toontown, planning to jump on the train and take a ride over to Frontierland, but we saw more characters so off we went! And NO LINES!!!

Prince John (from Robin Hood):

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

Foulfellow Fox (from Pinocchio) – and this is probably one of the worst pictures of me ever. I have no idea why I was standing like that…

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

And Marie (from Aristocats):

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

YAY!!! We never got to meet any of these ones before so we were pretty excited (ahem..NERDS..cough cough)

After hanging out over there for a few minutes, we got back in line for the train and took it over to Main Street to see if the characters that had been out that morning, were replaced with new ones. It was on this train voyage that I realized my eyes closed in that picture with Jiminy so I was hoping he was still out so we could get a new pic. He was there, but the line was really long and there was a CM at the end of it, indicating the line was closed. There were no other new characters out so we walked over to Frontierland.

Lumar went over to get FP’s for BTMRR while I got a bottle of water. It was kind of cold today so no ice cream for me…yet.

At some point in the week I picked up 2 of the same pin so I went back to the Trading Post to return it. Of course, we had to go to the Haunted Mansion while we were there (I wish I was riding it right now!) and then we headed back to Big Thunder for our FP return. I swear, the queue for this ride is the longest in the world! You just walk forever and they get you with that stupid wall that divides the building in half…you think you’re almost there and then you get through that doorway and your world just comes crashing down. I will never forget the first time we went on this and waited in the stand-by line, in the middle of JULY. We waited for like 90 minutes…and it was hot and gross in there. :scared:

After our coaster ride, we took the train back to Toontown once again checking for new characters but there weren’t any out so we headed into County Bounty. I had some souvenirs I needed to pick up for some people at work and I wanted to try and get it out of the way now before I forgot. Goofy, Donald, and Pluto were doing meet & greets in the tent but the wait was 45 minutes and we’ve met them all except for Donald before so we didn’t stay. We wandered around for a while but I didn’t find anything souvenir wise so we walked back to Tomorrowland in the hopes that Space was back up and running…

Thankfully it was, so we got in the FP line. I love this ride so much –I just hate the cars because I have trouble getting in and out. When I don’t have the backpack it’s not a problem but I’m the designated backpack carrier so that doesn’t happen often. Occasionally Lumar will take it with him but I worry that he doesn’t hold it tightly enough so most of the time I just deal with it under my leg. And most of the time it’s me holding up the line because I either can’t get in or out of the car. Sorry folks.

It was after 1 when we got off of Space and I was hungry so we headed to Cosmic Rays for lunch. I asked for a #2 and a #5: A Turkey Bacone Wrap and an order or Chicken Tenders. Apparently during lunch (when there’s 50 bajillion people crowded in there, they change the menu. So when I saw the guy putting a Cheeseburger and a Veggie Burger (ew) on my tray, I of course said to him “that’s not mine” to which he responded “that’s what you ordered..a #2 and a #5.” After I told him that the sign says a #2 is a Turkey Bacon Wrap and the #5 is Chicken Tenders, he said “well the menu changes during lunch…there’s a sign out there.” He gave me what I really wanted in the end, but I was determined to find the sign he spoke of because I didn’t see it when I was ordering. As we were leaving the line, I turned around and looked and there, next to the cash register, was an 8.5” x 11” piece of paper, in a plastic holder, that noted the revised lunch menu. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one who didn’t see it because we heard several people talking about how they didn’t get what they ordered but their receipts named the items they were given. Here’s an idea: COVER UP THE GIANT BILLBOARD WITH THE ORIGINAL MENU ON IT DURING LUNCH SO THAT PEOPLE DON’T GET CONFUSED AND YELL AT THE EMPLOYEES! OR DON’T CHANGE THE MENU! I found that apparently they ONLY serve burgers during lunch. That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard.

We went outside to eat since it was such a beautiful day but we regretted it shortly after as it was very windy and quite cold.

PS the Turkey Bacon Wrap was NOT worth arguing for. I was probably better off with the veggie burger.

We walked back to Main Street and stopped in the Emporium for some stuff…a whole lot of unnecessary stuff, but quite fun to purchase.

There were no characters out on Main Street so we got back on the train and took it around to Toontown the walked to Fantasyland from there where caught Mickey’s Philhar-magic. The World’s Tallest Man was sitting two rows up, so the people directly
in front of us kept moving around to try and see around him, which caused Ali and The Lumar to be highly perturbed. The guy right in front of Lumar also happened to have the biggest head in human history so no matter which way Lumar moved, he still couldn’t see around this guy.

I spent 20 minutes wandering around the gift shop while Lumar went to use the little boys room. And when we came back we headed over to ISAW where we found a 40 minute wait...the line was pouring out onto the street! We trekked back to Liberty Square to find another 40 minute wait at HM so we ran over to Hall of Presidents to catch the 2:30 show. I swear, if there is one that really irks me is plain old ignorance. There were some teenagers sitting a couple rows behind us who were talking about they fell asleep like it was cool thing. It’s not cool. You wouldn’t be here, enjoying this beautiful day, if it wasn’t for all of those people in that show. Wake up and learn something about how you got here and how you obtained the freedoms that you have.
After the Hall of Presidents show was over, we headed back to HM to find (YAY!) a 10 minute wait. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE parades?

After our visit with the Ghost Host (one of my favorite Disney personalities) we walked over to Adventureland anf rode PotC for the first time today! The wait said ½ an hour but it was more like 15 minutes – Double Yay!

After my visit with Captain Jack (not the REAL Captain Jack – just the AA) I decided that it was finally time for some ice cream even though I was already close to freezing. (ok it was in the low 60’s but it was WINDY and I was cold, dang it!) So I stopped at Sunshine Tree Terrace or whatever it’s called and got an ice cream cone while Lumar went and got himself a Dole Whip then we headed back to Tomorrowland.

We wandered around inside the Space gift shop for a few minutes and around 10 of 6 we headed back to Main Street for our dinner ressie at The Plaza. Look who we got to meet before dinner!

IMG_3539.jpg

We only had to wait a few minutes and we got seated in a perfect spot – right in the front room but in a corner so we were out of the way and there was no one sitting directly behind us or next to us so we didn’t have to worry about bumping into people. A window seat here would be absolutely perfect for watching Wishes. Maybe I’ll make another ressie here for a future visit but closer to 8:45pm or so and hope for a window. Of course, if that backfire then we don’t get to watch Wishes at all…hmm I’ll have to think about this one….

Anyway, for dinner I had the Plaza Club and Lumar had the Cheese Steak Sandwich. Both meals were fantastic but they were HUGE!! The server told me AFTER we ate that I ordered the largest item on the menu! Gee, lady, thanks for the warning! Needless to say, I did not finish the whole thing.

Lumar’s:

IMG_3546.jpg

Mine:

IMG_3547.jpg

After dinner, we went back to Liberty Square and rode Haunted Mansion one last time then headed over to ISAW. While we were in line at HM, I told Lumar that we aren’t going to do MK on Saturday’s anymore. The guidebooks all say to avoid it because it’s a busy day for AP holders, but we always go so we can watch Wishes before we go home. On the last three trips, we only stayed for Wishes once so it’s just not worth it anymore. I’d rather go to DHS and watch Fantasmic instead…and have a smaller crowd to deal with.

On our way out of the park, we stopped and picked up our Photopass CD. Plus we got 3 free 5 x 7’s with the purchase of the CD and another free one with the MYW package. Woohoo! :woohoo: After standing around in Exposition Hall for what seemed like HOURS, we finally left and went across the street to City Hall to pick up our Buzz ride photo, then headed out to the bus stop. We were back on the bus at 9:04pm.

Took this on the way out at some point:

photopass1-3.jpg

When we got back to FQ, I did some last minute organizing. I opened the bag that our Buzz picture had been shipped in and a nice CM stuck a “Magical Moments” Card in there with Chip & Dale pins! We were so excited! It’s the little things that really make these trips magical!

Lumar and I brought down 2 of the big Disney bags to the gift shop, both completely full of stuff we were shipping home. I probably should have called to warn them first because they were NOT prepared for such a large order. The manager came over and scanned everything while another CM helped him unload from one bag and reload into another as the items were scanned. There was a 3rd CM just standing around behind the counter doing absolutely nothing and there was a 4th CM at the other register ringing out other customers. The problem was that it was about 10:15 and a lot of people had just come back from the park so it was getting really busy. I felt bad because people were coming in and getting upset that they had to wait in line behind 15 people for one or 2 items. One guy was just unnecessarily rude though. We won’t make further comments about him…. Ok we will. He was buying ONE bottle of water. He made huge stink over having to wait in line. Finally he just left $2 on the counter and told them to ring him up for the water bottle when we were done. But after he left I asked the CM “don’t the vending machines have water bottles in them?” He smiled and nodded.

After all was said and done, it cost $40 to ship all of our stuff home. It was FANTASTIC! I am SOOO doing this on every trip from now on. But I will call ahead to warn them if our order is that big again! I was mad though because I saved all of our receipts because last year the CM at CSR told me we needed the receipts in order for them to ship things home, and the CM this time told me that was absolutely NOT correct. As long as the item has a scannable bar code and the price tag still on it, that’s all they need.

We got all the way back to our room and I realized I forgot to pick up our packages that we had shipped to the resort from DHS the day before! Back down I went and I got the Manager again. He just kind of gave me a blank stare before asking me if I was shipping this home too. I think he almost passed out from relief when I told him no.

I headed back up to the room, jumped in the shower and was out like a light around 12:30am. :faint:

This is a GREAT picture....a GREAT picture!!!!!!

Thanks Jordy! I like it too! I get so excited when the PP Photographers actually know what they're doing! I was seriously considering going to work at WDW as a PP Photographer....it's only part time but hey....could be fun, right?

Thanks Jordy! I like it too! I get so excited when the PP Photographers actually know what they're doing! I was seriously considering going to work at WDW as a PP Photographer....it's only part time but hey....could be fun, right?

You would think they need some sort of background in photography, but apparently not.

You could definitely do it.

Hedy said:
Lumar on Buzz has me rolling.

he claims he knew they were going to take the picture so he posed that way but I don't think I believe him :rotfl2: i forgot about the picture so I definitely wasn't faking it...I was determined to get a decent score this time!

I came in a little late.

Your Darkwing Duck shirt is awesome... I have to ask, where did you get it?

thanks for joining me! It's OK if you're late! You're forgiven!

I got the DWD shirt at Hot Topic around Christmas time. They have great shirts in there from time to time! And you can shop online at hottopic.com so you don't have to actually go INTO the store with their loud scream-o music blaring :rotfl:

I'm still enjoying your trip report. Great pictures and great humor. I am sorry that it is ending. I hope you can return soon so I can go along with you again. :goodvibes

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1731680

1977 MK- Grandma’s house, 1978 MK- Grandma’s house, 1984 MK + Epcot- Days Inn, 1996- FW Cabin. Loved staying on site. Coming up August Coronado Springs.

I'm still enjoying your trip report. Great pictures and great humor. I am sorry that it is ending. I hope you can return soon so I can go along with you again. :goodvibes

I'm glad to see you're still hanging in there! I am really sad that I am down to my last day! Writing the report is almost as fun as actually being there...it's like reliving the trip. And sadly, we aren't going back anytime soon. I finally worked up the nerve to talk to my mom about it and turned into a 2-day argument so it's a no go at this point. We're both really sad but I'm trying to convince myself that the next trip will be that much sweeter because we really had to work to get there, ya know?

Loving your report. Makes it a little easier waiting til our next trip. :)

Wow you got lots of pictures with characters that you don't see very often:cool1 And the one of you and Lumar in front of the castle is a keeper. The food pics have me so hungry now.......gotta go make supper:hmghost: :thumbsup2

Wow you got lots of pictures with characters that you don't see very often:cool1 And the one of you and Lumar in front of the castle is a keeper. The food pics have me so hungry now.......gotta go make supper:hmghost: :thumbsup2

I need to find a way to remind myself to take more pics of food on future trips! :thumbsup2 everything was sooo good! I was drooling the other night posting that update thinking about that sandwich from The Plaza!!

I need to find a way to remind myself to take more pics of food on future trips! :thumbsup2 everything was sooo good! I was drooling the other night posting that update thinking about that sandwich from The Plaza!!

I forget too...I'm usually too hungry....

OK everyone, I only have one more update and I'm procrastinating because it's like coming home all over again. I'll do it tonight though.... :sad1:

OK so i totally suck and did not post my last update last night, as im sure you noticed... but i have two very good reasons:

1) I was trying to get rid of unused programs on my computer and accidentally deleted my audio controller (among other things that I shouldn't have) therefore my speakers worked but no sound would come out. So I had to wait for my brother, Mike, to come home and do a system restore for me so he could fix it.

2) When he got home to fix it, he told me and Lumar that he and his girlfriend Erika (together on and off for the last 6 years) broke up. Apparently while my brother was on tour in Africa for 9 months last year (he's in the Marines) she cheated on him at least twice. :mad: And yes, this is the same girlfriend who came with us on our October trip and drove me up a wall (see my signature for a link to that TR if you're so inclined to read it and haven't yet). So here I've been working really hard to put together a scrapbook for that trip and she is in practically every picture. Im a bit torn on what to do now....

So thats why I didn't get to update. We're taking Mike to see "Iron Man" tonight - Lumar and I have already been twice but it really is THAT good (and I've developed a major crush on Robert Downey Jr. :rotfl2: ) - but we want to get Mike out of the house and he hasn't seen it yet.

I'll do my best to post the last update on Saturday :wave:

Sunday 3/9

We got up at 9am and pack up our last minute stuff. Everything that was left over that we couldn’t ship home was able to fit in 3 carry on bags (luckily you’re allowed 2 carry-ons and a personal item with Delta).

We went down to the lobby and used the resort airline check in. The CM at the counter was looking at his computer screen funny, then said to me that there was a “problem with our reservation.” What kind of problem, I don’t know. He just gave me Delta’s phone # and told me to call, meanwhile he was calling on his phone and getting a busy signal. I called twice and also got a busy signal. Finally the CM reached someone, he types something into the computer, then hangs up and continues typing. He never said anything to me about that heck was going on so finally I asked and he said “Oh it’s OK I fixed it.” OK….. I’m not gonna argue but you’d think that after causing me to go into a miniature panic, he would be a little more willing to share some information…like maybe WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS??!!

We checked our suitcases and then got on a bus to DTD. Our flight wasn’t leaving until 7-something and DME wasn’t coming to get us until 4:15pm so we had some time to kill.

When we got to DTD, we went to Earl’s for breakfast then walked over to the Pin Trader’s Store. Thankfully we didn’t buy anything because I was the one lucky enough to have all of the pins in my carry-on bag which was NOT a backpack this time. I opted for the Hello Kitty overnight bag that a friend of mine got me for my birthday.

I will NEVER do this again! First of all, if I was smart, I would have left all the pins on the black plastic-type backs (with the bar codes and prices on them) and shipped them all home. But alas, I did not do that. So I had about 15lbs worth of pins in that bag, plus all my other carry-on stuff like my Nintendo DS, my iPod, my camera, etc.

We went over to the World of Disney Store where I finally got the souvenirs I needed for my friends back home, but I shipped them from the store to our house so I didn’t have to try and find room for them in our bags. We still had a long time to wait so we walked all the way over to the West Side – Lumar walked around inside the Virgin Mega Store for a while but I sat outside on a bench and rested my aching arms. After he was done in there, we walked all the way back to the Marketplace and caught a bus back to FQ.

Of course, I had to get a picture of Easter Bunny Stitch:
IMG_3581.jpg

It was about 10 after 1 when we got back and we were getting hungry so we headed into Sassagoula for lunch and got a table outside.

After we ate, I sat at the table writing some TR updates and Lumar went over and sat on a bench in the sun. A CM approached him and asked him if he wanted to do a survey. She gave him a packet of stuff, including what they call a “trip journal” and she told him to fill it out the best we could and send it back in the envelope provided and within 4 weeks we would receive a free gift valued at $25.

Is it fate that I had saved ALL of our receipts from the week AND was writing a TR so I had documentation of everything that we did and bought, which is exactly what the survey wanted to know?

Around 3pm we headed out to the DME bus stop and just sat there waiting. Not exactly the way I had imagined we would be spending our last few hours at WDW. Next time, assuming we choose to do a late flight again, I will be sure to have my backpack, not a duffel bag, and I will also be sure to not have 15lbs worth of pins in said backpack. If we didn’t have that bag, we could have gone to play mini-golf or something earlier that day but carrying that bag around was killing me.

So our DME bus arrived promptly at 4:15pm. We loaded up, and headed to the airport, arriving around 5:30 or so. While we were waiting for our flight, I realized that in all of the hullabaloo with the airline check in that morning, I had indeed forgotten to actually check us OUT of the resort.

Here are some more pics I forgot to post earlier in the report:

Dinosaur:

Dinosaur.jpg

ToT:

Dinosaur-1.jpg

POFQ:
IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

We spent Sunday night at my dad’s and then left on Monday morning. I stopped and picked up the bunnies from Brandee’s house and…

IMG_3611.jpg

Yes we are now up to FOUR bunnies. Flash now has a girlfriend we named Kali – yes after Kali River Rapids. She likes (for some odd reason) to play in the water bowl so it seemed fitting to name her after a water ride. Don’t worry. She’s the last one we’re getting! We are officially out of room!

So thanks again to everyone who stuck with me on this TR! I wish I could say we are going again soon but it looks like we won’t have the chance to head back until 2009 at the earliest. If that were to change, by the grace of God, I will certainly be gloating about it on the boards! :wave:

great ending to your report.

I love Easter bunny Stitch. too cute.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Hope u do go back soon.

popcorn:: Awesome TR!!!

I am so glad you had a great time. Your TR has really gotten me excited about going on my own adventure.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Sorry to see your TR end.
And that stinks about Erica and Mike.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter