Two messages.

Safari Steve

D23 Expo Here I Come!!!
First, I've decided that I will only do the types of posts that I have been doing over the last couple of months. There are two reasons: 1) I don't have enough time to reply to all of the threads that I want to. and 2) There has been a recent increase in threads here that are negative in a "shoot first and ask questions never" manner. In the past, I felt the need to reply to them, but I think that my time is better spent elsewhere.

Secondly, and really the main message:
Haunted Mansion's rehab may take a little longer than anticipated. This was only scheduled to be a minor rehab for the stretch rooms and to make sure things were in order for next year's scheduled "Major" rehab... but as it turns out, alot more work needs to be done (just about entirely on things that no guests could have possibly noticed, so don't even waste your energy typing "I-told-you-so's") The initial reopening date of the 21st is still the official word, and that was padded, but it may take a little longer. It shouldn't run into October, but it might run up to October 1.

The attraction will be much better off in the end, and some improvements are being made in addition to the basic necessities that are being addressed as well.

If anyone reading this is angry, or thinks that this is a good reason to stay away from WDW... I think you need a vacation.

I'm not angry. The work has do be done sometime and low season is the most sensible time. I am disappointed thought. This pretty much means I wont get to see it this trip. (sigh)

I was one of those angry ones, but I needn't have been. I would have loved to ride it, but still had tons of fun without it.

In fact, I rode Splash Mountain for the first time, and it may well have replaced the mansion as my favorite! :)

(just about entirely on things that no guests could have possibly noticed, so don't even waste your energy typing "I-told-you-so's")
Steve,

I’m just curious. What would lead you to believe that someone would have to ‘see’ the problem in order to voice an “I told you so” over obvious (now at least, since you say so) deferred maintenance issues? It would seem to me that this is “EXACTLY” the type of “I told you so” that works the best. It’s more esoteric in nature. Less tangible, but much more telling of the disintegration of the overall philosophy regarding care and maintenance issues.

Am I not seeing things right?

Well, shoot. We skipped the haunted mansion when we there over labor day, because it was lined up and we figured we could enjoy it more when we go back in a couple of weeks - then we saw that it was being re-habbed, but we'll be there until the 23rd so we though "Shew" but now, shoot.

So are they secretly going to put in a Jack Skellington makeover for Halloween :)

I'm glad that they are taking the time to fix it right, even if we miss it this time-

DR

Thanks for the update Steve.

I just hope it's done before the 999 Happy Haunts Ball!!:eek:

Lisa:cool:

What would lead you to believe that someone would have to ‘see’ the problem in order to voice an “I told you so” over obvious (now at least, since you say so) deferred maintenance issues?

I have to agree with DVC. Over the last couple of years, DL has seen a lot of these "extended" rehabs for things that guests couldn't see. An example would be DL's HM. One of the walls on the building needed to be replaced from wood rot. But it was because guests COULDN'T see that wall which created the problem. Painting that wall was skipped, so something that could be seen could be fixed. But in the long run, it created an unnecessary downtime and certainly cost more to replace the wall than it would have been to do the preventative maintence.

Some of us who have been following the aftermath of Pressler's management style unfold at DL have been wondering how long it would take to start seeing these issues at WDW. If the work needing to be done on WDW's HM is a result of skipping preventative maintence, why would an "I told you so" be inappropriate?

Can you elaborate on what work is being done?

I agree with Steve. Look at all the complaints that have been made about the maelstorm being closed. It is closed for mostly things never seen by the guest therefore they are upset that it closed at all. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT IS DEFERED? How do you know that during their survey they didnt some addition things that needed to be done?

I, for one, am very pleased that Disney is getting this done and doing it right. But then again, everything was open when I went. ;)

Seriously, thanks for the post Safari Steve.

OnWithTheShow, if you see this...I haven't noticed that many complaints about Maelstrom and haven't really heard that much about what is being done. Could you (or someone else) tell me what you've heard?

Thanks, Steve, for the news. I have heard a similar explanation from a person who actually works on the maintence crew there, but "haunts" another board.

I think what Safari Steve is trying to point out is don't say "I told you so," meaning that it would be closed longer than initialy stated. If things need to be fixed, they they should be fixed, regardless of whether you can see it or not. Hope this clears up the matter for a couple of you.

Semper Fi~

things that no guests could have possibly noticed
Personally, what I object to about your posts is this kind of thing... making judgement calls on the behalf of people you don't know. Telling me a ride is closed is valuable information. Dictating to me what I will and will not notice is just condescending and obnoxious.

I applaud your resolve to refrain from that kind of post, as eagerly as I await your future update postings.

-WFH

Steve- Thanks for the info, and please, keep posting it.

If there's been an increase in "shoot first, ask questions later" attitudes, the important question to ask is why? Two possibilities. Either we are all falling prey to the mob mentality, or there are legitimate reasons for lost faith/trust in Disney's committment to guest satisfaction.

Now, I am not talking about the committment of CMs like Steve or Show, of course. I'm referring to decisions about hours reductions, EE/Enight eliminations, entertainment schedules, transportation issues, "surprise" maintenance problems, etc.

How can I not let these facts alter my perception of Disney's leadership, and their decision making processes and motivations?

I can be an extremely loyal person. However, my loyalty does not come easily. It must be earned. Once earned, I will be the first to give the benefit of the doubt in questionable situations. However, I do not appreciate my loyalty/faith being betrayed. I can, and often do, forgive mistakes, but only if they are true mistakes.

In the case of Disney, they earned my loyalty. They are in the process of trying to destroy that loyalty.

I do not appreciate that.

Scoop, I think you're right.

But I also think that people will be a little upset about something like that. I had ridden the Haunted Mansion on my last trip, but I knew nothing about it. When I got home, I researched it, read about tons of things I'd never noticed before (obvious things like the noosed body in the stretch room) and was SO psyched to get to see these things this trip. I'd been looking forward to it since May!

When I read just two days before I was leaving that it would be closed, it was immensely disappointing, and admittedly I was mad.

People will get over it once they get to the parks though. I just had to stay way far away from Liberty Square! :) Anyway, this is a convenient place to vent anger and frsutration about things like that.

Steve,

Thanks for the info! Since I know it might not be open when I get there I will not be disappointed if it is still closed. It is nice to know what to expect.

Steve,
Thank you for your info...I have a question.
My husband and I are taking my inlaws to WDW next year for their first visit. HM is probably my favorite ride at MK, do you know when the "Major Rehab" will be next year? An estimate even?

Thanks.
Lori:bounce:

Snyderla, This one should last a good 5-6 years.

And I'm sorry if I offended Mr frozen head. How presumtuous of me to assume that he could not see backstage areas and the basement level of the show building... boy do I ever feel like a jerk...

Oh, and I totally understand the disappointment of being there when an attraction is being refurbished. Let me tell you that it's just as disappointing for the cast, because there's nothing that we can do to start the ride up when many of the figures have been removed and the ride system is shut down.

It's also frustrating to not be able to answer questions more specifically. If I told it wouldn't be a secret...

We do not Know what is going on as far as someone getting upset that aside we have asked a ? on Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies and hoping to meet up with you on our next trip (your getting more poplar than the characters)

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter