Two Geeks and A 9/16 At-Home Disney-ish Wedding - We're married!

Circumstances Being What They Are...

Unfortunately, Matt and I have come to the conclusion that we just can't afford to do this right now. The move cost way more than we thought and given that he still hasn't started working a regular schedule, among everything else we've got going on, we just... We can't do the Disney wedding right now. I'm obviously not thrilled, and neither is he. I'm okay with just going to the courthouse and getting married that way, but he doesn't want to. He wants to wait until next year and see if we have the money then to put the deposit down (to get married in 2017). And if we don't, then we can go to the courthouse. Apparently. I have no idea when we're actually getting married now, let alone everything else we want to do (like have babies, which he also refuses to consider until we're married, which the longer we wait, the less chance I have due to a reproductive disorder).

So... Thanks for coming along on the ride, but it has to be evacuated.

:sad:

I'm so sorry to read this, Firefly. :hug:

I'm so sorry you have to postpone your wedding. :( Sometimes being a responsible adult really sucks. The most important thing is that the two of you love each other and want to get married - no matter where the wedding takes place. I really hope it all works out for you.

I know you've already heard from me, but I'm so sorry you've had to make this decision and big hugs :hug: I for one would love to see a greater number of Disney-themed weddings off property on this board, so I hope you do return here whenever your planning starts again!

So sorry to read this. It's already been pointed out that sometimes being a responsible adult sucks, but you're better off starting your life together as responsible adults. I can understand both of your points of view, a Disney wedding would be awesome, but even an off site "Disney wedding" isn't cheap. Ours had Disney touches everywhere and wasn't over the top, but it wasn't cheap, it still cost a pretty penny on the end. I hope that he takes your suggestion if you can't make the onsite wedding work after a trial period. You want to get on with your lives and sometimes starting it with a big bang just isn't practical. In the end you just want to be together and that's what's important.

:grouphug: I hope everything works out.

Hang in there kiddo.
We already chatted thru FB.

((((((More big hugs))))))

And here's the thing too (der dah der my light bulb finally clicked on), you can get married now-- courthouse or even something very very small-- like you two & your parents if he digs his heels on the courthouse. And then you can plan and save for that Disney Vow Renewal wedding.

You guys are gonna hate me...

But given that our plans changed so drastically, and then changed again, and then again, I wanted to just come back here and update with what's going on now. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this sort of stuff, so I want to talk about it here because sometimes I'm like "I'm going to throttle you if you don't answer me/shut up/stop making suggestions".

We're getting married on September 17, 2016!

This is how everything went down:

- We realized we couldn't afford the big Disney wedding we want for this year.
- DF insisted that we wait until this fall to see if we can afford it for next year.
- Many arguments about it.
- DF lost his job at Disney for stupid reasons (long story, PM me if you really want to know). He went back to his old employer a couple of weeks later and they hired him on the spot. He can come back to Disney in May or June.
- He finally saw reason (after doing the math) and realized that I was right.
- He promised that we'd be married by my next birthday, this coming June.
- We decided to go to the courthouse on February 5 because of some massive discounts we had as CMs we could utilize for a mini honeymoon and dinner out.
- We informed both sets of parents, who, of course, both wanted to come.
- Cue me going into planning mode (reservations, park days, trying to figure out who's coming down when and staying where).
- The week of Christmas, I made a post on Facebook about us having this plan.
- People started inviting themselves, people that we desperately wanted to be there.
- We tried to figure out a small 20-30 person wedding.
- We discovered that we just couldn't afford to do it in less than six weeks, and the venue we wanted was booked until September.
- I cried. A lot.
- We finally decided to say screw it, we're going back to our original date of October 26 and having the wedding then, because the venue might be available then.
- The venue was not available because they do a haunted house in the space every night of October.
- Many emails back and forth between me and the event coordinator at the venue until we finally found a day that worked.
- My parents amazingly offered to help with costs.
- We booked the venue!

So... Yeah. We're having an at-home, Disney-ish wedding on September 17 of this year. If anyone's still reading, I'll keep this up in here, but I doubt it.

Wow, what a roller-coaster ride! So September it is and we still are following along.

That's great for you two! Bummer for us, I don't think we can make it there at that time. And yes, I am still reading along!

The New Details

Where: Berlinsky Community House, Kissimmee, FL. We chose this place because it's in our budget and flexible enough to use for both ceremony and reception. It's also part of a lakefront park, so that'll be nice for pictures.
When: September 17, 2016, ceremony at 2, reception from 3 to 8:30.
Colors: Still purple, black, silver, and white.
Theme: "We're Disney geeks who are getting married in the fall."

The dress I had shown you guys before is still the dress I'm wearing. We went to Mens Wearhouse a few days ago to see what they had that DF would like. He just has to talk to his guys and see what their budgets are like. We're doing homemade centerpieces (right now, the idea is to use pumpkins with LED lights around them, since we can't burn candles). If those submersed flower centerpieces would work out cheaper, we might do those. But we have to set up ourselves, so the pumpkins would be easier (place pumpkin on table, arrange lights, place table sign, done). The venue will set up the tables and chairs in the configuration we want, but we need to do everything else.

I don't think we'll be doing programs, but we might. We're going to be ordering our save the dates in a couple of weeks, and the invitations sometime in late February or March. We found one on Vistaprint that we like.

I went to a bridal show last weekend and found a caterer and florist that I quite like and are within our budget, so we'll be booking them once we have the money. We're trying to find a cheap photographer whose work we like, but that's a very tall order, apparently. I seem to have expensive taste *facepalms* I think the caterer will take care of setting up the linens, since that's part of the package we're going to be paying for. We just haven't booked them yet. Finances are really really tight right now (another long story).

The venue is an older historic building that they currently use as a community center. They're supposed to be redoing the floors sometime this summer, so that'll be nice.

IMG_6467.JPG
This is the stage area. We're going to have the ceremony up there. The podium can be moved (they were setting up for Bingo Night). My dad is going to make a backdrop for us with PVC piping, white sheers, and white Christmas lights. I found it on Pinterest and just loved it. The best part is that the only thing we have to buy is the joints for the PVC, since my dad already had the piping, my mom had the sheers, and they had a ton of Christmas lights up in the attic. We're also going to buy a length of tulle for some draping on the front of the stage. We can't actually mount anything to it, even with command hooks, so we're just going to hold the tulle in place with pumpkins.

IMG_6468.JPG
The window to the left of the door is a service window for the kitchenette. It's just a catering kitchen with an ice machine, cooler, and warming oven. We're going to have a buffet, so the tables will be set up in the little alcove to the right of the doors. Yes, those are the chairs.

IMG_6470.JPG
This is looking back from the stage. What we want to do is have the aisle come straight down from those double doors to the stage (so we'll come down the aisle and the ladies will go to the steps on the left, guys to the steps on the right). The tables will be set up with a gap in the middle for the aisle, and then we can either leave the tables where they are after the ceremony or move them closer together.

IMG_6472.JPG
That little alcove to the left of those doors is where the cake table and all that will go. One of my wonderful coworkers offered to make our wedding cake as a gift, so that'll be awesome!

IMG_6473.JPG
This is the entrance to the ladies' room. It has a little waiting room, so we're going to bring some tension rods and hang curtains in the windows and that door frame so that we can use the waiting room as a dressing area for me and the other ladies. Then everything will get put away until the end of the party. Basically, the bridal party is getting there around 11 or 12 and doing all the set up. We're getting dressed there and then will have the wedding. The bathroom is to the right when you walk in.

IMG_6474.JPG
This is the kitchen. Like I said, just a cooler, ice machine, and warming oven. Oh, and a prep sink and a few tables.

So that's the plan. We're still working out the finer details, but it's definitely happening on September 17 in this space at that time. :teeth:

Attachments

• IMG_6475.JPG
    IMG_6475.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
That's great for you two! Bummer for us, I don't think we can make it there at that time. And yes, I am still reading along!
Thanks! And that's sad :( But it happens. Some of the other people we wanted to be there can't make it, either (one couple is having a baby and is due in late August, another is a teacher and just starting this school year). We'd still love to meet you guys the next time you make it down! :hug:

I'm still reading! I may or may not comment frequently (work is nutso basically every time of the year but the summer) but I'm always around and of course, there's FB too. Plenty of the girls in the group have had Disney-themed weddings at home, so your questions/opinions are still always welcome!

I'm of the opinion that all that matters on your wedding day is that you marry the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, and the further we get away from our actual wedding day the clearer that thought becomes, even when I remember how there were weeks my life revolved around matching ties to dresses and crap like that. You are going to have a wonderful, beautiful wedding day, and if there's anything you ever decided you wish you had had, that's what vow renewals are for!

A friend from my CP still works down at WDW (she's Photopass now) and is trying to grow her photography business, she just did her first wedding this fall for friends (though I know she's been a second shooter before). Finding someone who is just starting out could be your answer to reconciling your taste with your budget, but I know that's scary waters so if I can offer anything, it's my assurance that she's a normal human who won't steal your money! :) If you want to see the wedding she did, it's here.

To conclude: yes I'm still reading, and I love weddings even if I'm quiet in the comments. Plan on!!

So glad things are moving in a positive direction and that you two will finally be married! So exciting!

The New Details

Where: Berlinsky Community House, Kissimmee, FL. We chose this place because it's in our budget and flexible enough to use for both ceremony and reception. It's also part of a lakefront park, so that'll be nice for pictures.
When: September 17, 2016, ceremony at 2, reception from 3 to 8:30.
Colors: Still purple, black, silver, and white.
Theme: "We're Disney geeks who are getting married in the fall."

The dress I had shown you guys before is still the dress I'm wearing. We went to Mens Wearhouse a few days ago to see what they had that DF would like. He just has to talk to his guys and see what their budgets are like. We're doing homemade centerpieces (right now, the idea is to use pumpkins with LED lights around them, since we can't burn candles). If those submersed flower centerpieces would work out cheaper, we might do those. But we have to set up ourselves, so the pumpkins would be easier (place pumpkin on table, arrange lights, place table sign, done). The venue will set up the tables and chairs in the configuration we want, but we need to do everything else.

I don't think we'll be doing programs, but we might. We're going to be ordering our save the dates in a couple of weeks, and the invitations sometime in late February or March. We found one on Vistaprint that we like.

I went to a bridal show last weekend and found a caterer and florist that I quite like and are within our budget, so we'll be booking them once we have the money. We're trying to find a cheap photographer whose work we like, but that's a very tall order, apparently. I seem to have expensive taste *facepalms* I think the caterer will take care of setting up the linens, since that's part of the package we're going to be paying for. We just haven't booked them yet. Finances are really really tight right now (another long story).

The venue is an older historic building that they currently use as a community center. They're supposed to be redoing the floors sometime this summer, so that'll be nice.

View attachment 144730
This is the stage area. We're going to have the ceremony up there. The podium can be moved (they were setting up for Bingo Night). My dad is going to make a backdrop for us with PVC piping, white sheers, and white Christmas lights. I found it on Pinterest and just loved it. The best part is that the only thing we have to buy is the joints for the PVC, since my dad already had the piping, my mom had the sheers, and they had a ton of Christmas lights up in the attic. We're also going to buy a length of tulle for some draping on the front of the stage. We can't actually mount anything to it, even with command hooks, so we're just going to hold the tulle in place with pumpkins.

View attachment 144731
The window to the left of the door is a service window for the kitchenette. It's just a catering kitchen with an ice machine, cooler, and warming oven. We're going to have a buffet, so the tables will be set up in the little alcove to the right of the doors. Yes, those are the chairs.

View attachment 144732
This is looking back from the stage. What we want to do is have the aisle come straight down from those double doors to the stage (so we'll come down the aisle and the ladies will go to the steps on the left, guys to the steps on the right). The tables will be set up with a gap in the middle for the aisle, and then we can either leave the tables where they are after the ceremony or move them closer together.

View attachment 144733
That little alcove to the left of those doors is where the cake table and all that will go. One of my wonderful coworkers offered to make our wedding cake as a gift, so that'll be awesome!

View attachment 144734
This is the entrance to the ladies' room. It has a little waiting room, so we're going to bring some tension rods and hang curtains in the windows and that door frame so that we can use the waiting room as a dressing area for me and the other ladies. Then everything will get put away until the end of the party. Basically, the bridal party is getting there around 11 or 12 and doing all the set up. We're getting dressed there and then will have the wedding. The bathroom is to the right when you walk in.

View attachment 144735
This is the kitchen. Like I said, just a cooler, ice machine, and warming oven. Oh, and a prep sink and a few tables.

So that's the plan. We're still working out the finer details, but it's definitely happening on September 17 in this space at that time. :teeth:

First of all, congratulations on your wedding! This venue is very similar to where DH and I had our East Coast reception. We had a simple courthouse ceremony on the West Coast with just 20 of our family and friends, but always planned on a bigger party later.

I haven't read all the pages, so I'm sorry there seems to have been ups and downs. Your venue makes me so happy and brings back such fond memories. DH and I are also geeks and our friends surprised us with a light saber arch and the Ewok Celebration song (oh yes, Yub Yub!) at the bar where we had our after ceremony toast.

I will go back and read all the pages, but want you to know I will be following the new plans as well.

I can't remember if The Roots were the style you like, but if they are, we were also looking at Elle Baez, who to us, had a very similar style. We ended up going with The Roots as our major splurge for the wedding. But if we didn't, Elle's pricing was much lower. Check her out if you haven't http://www.capturedbyelle.com/

I'm still reading! I may or may not comment frequently (work is nutso basically every time of the year but the summer) but I'm always around and of course, there's FB too. Plenty of the girls in the group have had Disney-themed weddings at home, so your questions/opinions are still always welcome!

I'm of the opinion that all that matters on your wedding day is that you marry the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, and the further we get away from our actual wedding day the clearer that thought becomes, even when I remember how there were weeks my life revolved around matching ties to dresses and crap like that. You are going to have a wonderful, beautiful wedding day, and if there's anything you ever decided you wish you had had, that's what vow renewals are for!

A friend from my CP still works down at WDW (she's Photopass now) and is trying to grow her photography business, she just did her first wedding this fall for friends (though I know she's been a second shooter before). Finding someone who is just starting out could be your answer to reconciling your taste with your budget, but I know that's scary waters so if I can offer anything, it's my assurance that she's a normal human who won't steal your money! :) If you want to see the wedding she did, it's here.

To conclude: yes I'm still reading, and I love weddings even if I'm quiet in the comments. Plan on!!

Yay! I just wasn't sure if people had unsubscribed since I hadn't updated anything in a few months :lmao: I agree with your opinion! He's picking out what he and the guys are wearing, and my ladies are picking out their own dresses (and their own makeup/hair, accessories, shoes, etc). I just want it to be a fun day. But yes, we definitely want to have a vow renewal in a few years, once we can afford the big Disney shebang.

I checked out her website last night and I love her photos! I sent her a message, but she got back to me and said that she just doesn't feel she's ready to shoot another wedding on her own yet, which is just fine. I totally understand that. But she really does take great pictures! We've been talking about it a lot and I think we're going to end up going with another photographer that you'd recommended to me before. I just need to message her and see if she's available. The problem is just that we don't have the money for deposits right now. Yay post-CP red tape :crazy2:

So glad things are moving in a positive direction and that you two will finally be married! So exciting!

Very! I so can't wait! :lovestruc

First of all, congratulations on your wedding! This venue is very similar to where DH and I had our East Coast reception. We had a simple courthouse ceremony on the West Coast with just 20 of our family and friends, but always planned on a bigger party later.

I haven't read all the pages, so I'm sorry there seems to have been ups and downs. Your venue makes me so happy and brings back such fond memories. DH and I are also geeks and our friends surprised us with a light saber arch and the Ewok Celebration song (oh yes, Yub Yub!) at the bar where we had our after ceremony toast.

I will go back and read all the pages, but want you to know I will be following the new plans as well.

Thank you! We were planning to do just the courthouse and then dinner with our parents once our original plans fell through. It's definitely been a roller coaster over the last few months. We keep talking about when the universe is going to stop throwing the nonsense at us, because it's seriously been one thing after another after another (we need to replace all four tires on our car, for one thing, plus get a spare, and that'll be around $600).

Thanks for following along!

I can't remember if The Roots were the style you like, but if they are, we were also looking at Elle Baez, who to us, had a very similar style. We ended up going with The Roots as our major splurge for the wedding. But if we didn't, Elle's pricing was much lower. Check her out if you haven't http://www.capturedbyelle.com/

Yeah, I like the Roots, David and Vicki Arndt, people who do clear images without excessive editing (I don't like Randy Chapman for that reason). I checked her out and she's about the same price as a couple of other photographers we're looking at. Ideally, we'd like to spend a little less, but everyone that we're finding who's in that range just isn't exactly the style that we want. So I think we're going to have to spend around that much. I guess it'll come down to which of the three is available on our date once we have the money for the deposit.

You've made quite a bit of progress on the planning. As someone that's been married for 35 years, it's the person you're marrying that counts the most and not where the wedding happens. Just have fun with it and you'll have wonderful memories.

Oh Wow! That's great news. Glad you're back on track.

I don't know if I can make it anymore. :(
But I'll be there in spirit....and here for all the planning fun.

You've made quite a bit of progress on the planning. As someone that's been married for 35 years, it's the person you're marrying that counts the most and not where the wedding happens. Just have fun with it and you'll have wonderful memories.

Oh, I know, believe me. We're just excited about it :)

Oh Wow! That's great news. Glad you're back on track.

I don't know if I can make it anymore. :(
But I'll be there in spirit....and here for all the planning fun.

That's okay! I wish you could make it, but we totally understand :hug: Hopefully you can make it for the eventual Disney VR :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter