Twister Closing Soon (Nov 2nd -- Last day to Ride, this Sunday)

I like Twister, but if they did a Soarin' type ride there I would be ecstatic. Soarin' is my favorite ride anywhere.

I like Twister,what annoys me are the multiple pre shows,they're why I don't do the attraction more often.I get that it's a way to avoid a longer line with nothing to see but I still avoid it for that reason.I'm very excited about what this new attraction will be,I'm totally cool if its like Soarin,I like that ride.I get that they have a lot of simulator attractions,but that's cool,its what they do and they're usually good rides,even the new Avatar ride at AK will be a simulator.

me too. I go for the last part only. Same with Disaster. I will often skip these two rides as the first two rooms of each I really wish I could just bypass.

lol i'm still bitter about pretty much everything they removed/changed.
"

since i see mickey in your avatar, i'll throw it out there that all the parks try to stay relevant/play to whatever demographic brings in the most $. Not thrilled I have to travel to DL to get my Mr Toad's Wild Ride fix:tongue:

It has to be a difficult balancing act to both keep the old favorites and introduce new concepts that create the buzz to bring in the crowds. I just don't see this particular idea being a wow:magnify:.

They have to put in attractions that will bring people in. I went on Twister a couple of times, probably last about 5 or 6 years ago. it was a good show but is pretty corny by today's standards. The same with rides like Jaws. I know people enjoyed them but there was (is) a reason you could generally walk on to them with no wait. Universal is doing a great job of updating there parks.

-jaws
-king kong (yes i know they are putting a new version in IOA)
-hanna barabera
-murder she wrote (no absolutely not!)
-the alfred hitchcock attraction
-ghostbusters
-earthquake (yes "disaster" ride portion is the same but nothing else is. i don't like the pre show concept, i miss the escalator with foam concrete falling on you, and i don't like how its all just so scripted now. i liked the feeling for "this is really happening" and then at the end you're like "ok it was not real" lol)
-beatle juice grave yard revue (last time i saw it i felt the costume for bride of frankenstein was inappropriate, the songs were inappropriate, and they didn't sing good)
-nickelodeon studios
-star in your own episode of star trek
-star in "your day at universal studios"

I did enjoy a FEW of those attractions, but really....I think Universal were wise to replace a lot of those which were soooo deep rooted in the 1970's (maybe early 80's in a few cases)

The one thing Universal should be congratulated for is their investment in new attractions - something I wish Disney would at least try to catch up on!

I wish Disney would at least try to catch up on!

-new fantasyland
-frozen ever after
-expanding/changing soarin
-expanding toy story mania
-taking down the hat
-updating the great movie ride
-basically gutting much of hollywood studios to put in a bunch of new things

am i missing where disney is not trying to make things fresh and exciting?

sure disney takes more time to do it but thats because they have such attention to detail in their attractions.
in my opinion universal is just like any other amusement park. they are just cramming as many thrill rides into as small of a space as they can and then a couple years down the road they change it all again because people are bored of it.

disney on the other hand is trying to make attractions that will stick around for a long time.

Taking down the hat is attention to detail? Diagon Alley is not? The great movie ride, ugh...don't get me wrong, my family loved the new Little Mermaid ride and really enjoyed the seven dwarfs coaster, so Disney is trying, but I won't beat a dead horse and list all of the things that Universal did while we waited for those.

I know the darkside boards are fun and uplifting, but I can't stand the "Disney pays attention to details" kool-aid, and I am not drinking it any longer. I will do one more immersive Disney vacation in 2018 so I can make sure the new stuff is in (allowing for a good year of delays). Meanwhile, I can still go to Universal every six months and see new stuff, fun stuff, and completely immersive, attention to detail stuff. Heck, Springfield was revamped and I didn't even know about it! Grinchmas and the christmas decorations at UO were just as good as the Christmas Party at Disney, and I didn't need a separate ticket to check it out.

So, yes, disney world dreamer, you are missing something. Fresh and exciting is not synonymous with waiting and delays. But you go ahead and wait for the Disney attention to detail, meanwhile, those who visit the darkside will enjoy new attractions and experiences.

-new fantasyland
-frozen ever after
-taking down the hat

sure disney takes more time to do it but thats because they have such attention to detail in their attractions.
in my opinion universal is just like any other amusement park. they are just cramming as many thrill rides into as small of a space as they can and then a couple years down the road they change it all again because people are bored of it.

disney on the other hand is trying to make attractions that will stick around for a long time.

i don't care what is happening at disney.
i go there and just enjoy my time there on what i like in their parks.
i have no arguement on the system they use to get jobs done in the parks.

you would probably get a better response for opinions if you started a thread in the theme park boards on the dis side.

we all are griping or praising about the closing of Twister in this thread.

-new fantasyland
-frozen ever after
-taking down the hat

It's pretty hard to take you seriously when you think Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade remind you of an amusement park.

-jaws
-king kong (yes i know they are putting a new version in IOA)
-hanna barabera
-murder she wrote (no absolutely not!)
-the alfred hitchcock attraction
-ghostbusters
-earthquake (yes "disaster" ride portion is the same but nothing else is. i don't like the pre show concept, i miss the escalator with foam concrete falling on you, and i don't like how its all just so scripted now. i liked the feeling for "this is really happening" and then at the end you're like "ok it was not real" lol)
-beatle juice grave yard revue (last time i saw it i felt the costume for bride of frankenstein was inappropriate, the songs were inappropriate, and they didn't sing good)
-nickelodeon studios
-star in your own episode of star trek
-star in "your day at universal studios"

I am still upset about losin Jaws and especially Back to the Future.

Sorry, but Disney is living on past memories and dreams of what it once was. As the generations change the parks need to change too. Yes, they have changed some but with today's generation and society it's moving very fast. Once what was Classic Disney was does not have that ultra special feel as much anymore.

Yes, their are still die hard families that still love everything Disney and will still show their children those Disney classics but if Disney does not get more involved in today's youth they are losing a big chunk of the pot. Universe is giving Disney a serious run for the money in parks and film.

If you haven't already - Before Twister closes ask a cast member at the front of the attraction about doing a Behind The Scenes tour. It's amazing! They take you into the staff areas and let you see the show from the control panel. It's something to consider trying before it closes for good. :sad:

It's completely free, I thought it was a joke when I found out about it but me and my family gave it a go and it was only a 10 minute experience, but one we'll never forget! :teeth::ssst:

Looks like there may be announcement about this for Twister later this week (Thursday?), and possibly Fast and Furious ride (Not the same as out an Hollywood) replacing the entire Disaster area (including Beetlejuice)

I saw Twister soon after it opened. At the time it was a pre-show in a crowded room, with, I think, small TVs giving tornado warnings, followed by entry onto stands facing an old farm town scene, shielded from us by glass going nearly floor to ceiling. The show was a hokey fake tornado going through the town, moving things around. There may have been some random attempts to simulate stuff blowing through the audience, without actually hitting everyone, but also without being noticeable to many in the audience. I'd expected something that at least tries to put you in the experience, like the earthquake ride. I though Twister was the most abysmal, over-hyped attraction I'd ever seen.

Had it been improved since then? If not, then I'm surprised it lasted this long.

no glass wall in the drive in scene when at the end of the show.
don't remember it ever being closed in but many attractions had changes over the years.

did they not have the movie scenes during the show when you last saw it?

I saw Twister soon after it opened. At the time it was a pre-show in a crowded room, with, I think, small TVs giving tornado warnings, followed by entry onto stands facing an old farm town scene, shielded from us by glass going nearly floor to ceiling. The show was a hokey fake tornado going through the town, moving things around. There may have been some random attempts to simulate stuff blowing through the audience, without actually hitting everyone, but also without being noticeable to many in the audience. I'd expected something that at least tries to put you in the experience, like the earthquake ride. I though Twister was the most abysmal, over-hyped attraction I'd ever seen.

Had it been improved since then? If not, then I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Over-hyped?

It hasn't changed but I don't think it is hyped at all. ;)

I'm glad it is being replaced.

I like this attraction. It's one that anyone can do, involves a fun movie tie-in, and something we've done each trip.

Over-hyped?

It hasn't changed but I don't think it is hyped at all. ;)
It was hyped quite a bit prior to opening, which then had to be postponed due to real-life tornadoes in Florida.

no glass wall in the drive in scene when at the end of the show.
don't remember it ever being closed in but many attractions had changes over the years.

did they not have the movie scenes during the show when you last saw it?
Never saw the movie, so I wouldn't have recognized it. I realize the movie was popular in its day, but don't think of it having any iconic scenes. Certainly things like King Kong and Jaws can stand out, whether or not you've seen the movie. But that didn't work for me with regard to Twister.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter