Twelve Months of Training and Travel

Congrats on deciding on the Avenger's run!

We have decided against it b/c we got some news yesterday that is making us reconsider our vacation plans but I can't discuss that in open until Saturday but we need to reserve our cash. Thank goodness for DVC though! Even if we have to do Disney cheap, at least its a vacation.

Ann, congrats on your decision on running the Avenger's run instead of LV. :thumbsup2 While I was reading through your post I was thinking that hopefully you checked the hotel sites themselves as most of the booking sites usually only offer part of the inventory and when its gone ... its GONE, but there might be lots left at the hotel itself. And when I read Desert Inn and Suites you put a HUGE smile on my face. We stayed there in 2006 and would go back. Not that it was the most overwhelming hotel experience (as you very well know) but you cannot beat how close it is to DL itself. And I have to admit we never used their breakfast, were able to watch fireworks from our balcony (walkway in front of the room) and only went there to sleep. Perfect decisions you made - I salute you! (I have time to do that - being home with the flu :rotfl2:)

Karin, I am so sorry you came back to having the flu! It is what happened to us in January and it really was not fun!

I usually check the hotel sites themselves before booking. Ya just never know where the best rate will be found. I am not sure why- but I did not do that first. I didn't even check the Disney site. (Course without a discount code I am pretty positive they would be outside what I would want to pay)

Desert inn and suites is definitely not high end- but you are totally right! Proximity to main gates can not be beat! You didn't miss anything not having their breakfast there. Seems like they could do so much more given the little kitchen and mini cafeteria they have. :rolleyes:

Congrats on deciding on the Avenger's run! We have decided against it b/c we got some news yesterday that is making us reconsider our vacation plans but I can't discuss that in open until Saturday but we need to reserve our cash. Thank goodness for DVC though! Even if we have to do Disney cheap, at least its a vacation.

I am sorry to hear that it won't work out for you. I can certainly understand how the registration fees are a bit much and there are other things to put that toward. I am dragging my feet registering for race I want to do locally because how much rd has taken from me.

I wish that I had the Dvc to fall back on for all my trips, but sadly I just don't have enough points (230 a year is tight when you want to be able to share with friends and family). Luckily being down in dlr, the avengers race will not only be a short trip- but I can get a room without breaking the bank.

I hope that your reveal on Saturday isn't something sad.....

Hi, Ann! :wave: Just getting caught up on your report...thanks again for the shout-out in your intro post! :thumbsup2

What a fantastic race schedule you have! Great variety of distances. You're inspiring me to look up some shorter races in my area for this year...:)

I'm so jealous looking at the Disney races you have lined up! ToT and the Disneyland half are definitely on my bucket list.

I'm with a previous poster, I'm so jealous of your pace! I'd love to be able to run under 10:00/mile comfortably. :) I think I'm close but not quite there yet.

CONGRATS on deciding to do the Avengers Half! I hope registration goes smoothly for you and your husband!

Hi, Ann! :wave: Just getting caught up on your report...thanks again for the shout-out in your intro post! :thumbsup2

Glad you are here getting caught up! And no problem!! Yours PTR inspired me to do mine. :goodvibes

What a fantastic race schedule you have! Great variety of distances. You're inspiring me to look up some shorter races in my area for this year...:)

thanks. :goodvibes I think other than all the half marathons I have in there... it will be doable for me.

I'm so jealous looking at the Disney races you have lined up! ToT and the Disneyland half are definitely on my bucket list.

You can be jealous of my ToT and Dlh... I will be jealous of your W&D half and 5k! Actually, I plan to live vicariously and read all about it when you write your TR!!! (as well as be a tad jealous. ;))

I'm with a previous poster, I'm so jealous of your pace! I'd love to be able to run under 10:00/mile comfortably. :) I think I'm close but not quite there yet.

I think there are walls in our pace. I remember it was a hurdle to sub 10. Then I did... and I was at 9 in what seemed like such a short time. I stay around 9 for the most part. I have runs where I am over and runs I am under. Maybe 9 is another hurdle for me. Maybe next time this year I will be staying around 8? :rotfl2: Probably not. Maybe then there is also just a pace that we plateau? I kinda feel that that is where I am.

CONGRATS on deciding to do the Avengers Half! I hope registration goes smoothly for you and your husband!

Thanks! I hope it does too. I am thinking it will sell out the first day.. .probably within hours. I am hoping to get in on preregistration. Even that though... I bet we will see preregistration slots fill up fast.

It is funny in some ways how much thought went into this. Originally not so much. I actually booked a room at the 11 month window at my home resort. (OKW). My thought way back in November was that since it was just Steve and I, it would not be bad to stay there (after all, I do love my home resort) If however I could switch us to say BWV or BCV at the 7 month mark, I would.

Then we had the addition of travelers and what they needed, what I wanted for them..etc.

Honestly, most of my "what if'ing" in regards to where to book had to do more with what I wanted for everyone else not with what they each needed.

MIL and FIL needed their own beds. Kira and Zoe needed their own beds as well as the dining plan. Beyond that everything else was "gravy".

I wanted everyone comfortable and if I am honest, impressed. Steve's family do not go to Disney. I really do not think they understand why we do. I suspect that they think a Disney vacation is all about loud and colorful characters. (not that some of it isn't and not that there is anything wrong with over the top theming) However, I wanted them to see that not everything at Disney is... well...Disney. That theming can be wonderful and not overpowering. Then there was the trouble with also not having it be "fake". I know that Steve would LOVE to stay again at WL, but when we stayed there his family saw pictures they scoffed about how we should just go to the real yellowstone lodge...and laughed at the fake rocks.

So I had some options. Too many options.

One was for 3 separate studios for the ranging date (remember mil and fil won't be there the entire trip) at a OKW with waitlisting at BWV or AKL value (which isn't a host resort so that moved down on the list fast) Ultimately, this option didn't really save us any points so I considered other options.

Another was just two studios. In this option we could have stayed at AKV in a savannah room. This was a tad more tempting because the view, but again..not a host resort. Of course, there was the option of OKW too. Ultimately the need to not cram 4 of us into a studio - on what was suppose to be an anniversary trip for Steve and I caused me to decide I needed to expand the search to include one bedrooms.

This option would mean a one bedroom and a studio. This gave us an option of staying OKW or BCV. (but if we did the one bedroom at BC then the inlaws would have to do a studio at OKW) I was tempted by this. BCV? However THEN Steve decided he just didn't want to share with Kira for the entire week -which I think is what I was looking at. (I tried so many scenarios it was crazy) So while there was the option of a couple different resorts in a one bedroom, we moved on...especially when I realized a 2 bedroom would save points over a 1bedroom and a studio as well as the fact the inlaws would have to be at OKW.

Moving on to that idea of the two bedroom.... We would do it for just 4 nights. That way all of us would be together when mil and fil were there. We had two options. OKW or AKL. I was soo sooo very tempted by AKL. If only it had been a host resort. I could have handled driving to the expo. I could have even handled driving to WWOS for the race starts. What would be an issue is driving back after the villians bash. Running it by Kira and Steve - they both felt that the villa would be too far from everything (especially Epcot) so that was that. OKW in a 2 bedroom for 4 nights near hospitality house. However we still wanted to be close to epcot and possibly walk back from the villians bash. SO, I waitlisted BWV in a 2 bedroom.

That left the remaining 4 nights. Since at this point I was not yet to the 7 month window on those nights, I booked at 2 studios at OKW. One near hospitality and one not (waitlisting "near hospitality" for the second studio).

As the 7 month window approached, I began to contemplate other options.

First, would a 2 bedroom at BWV really suit our needs? Steve and his parents plan to hang out in the room and most likely on the balcony. BWV has a "normal" balcony where as OKW has a large one with a table that everyone could sit around. BWV also does not have a sleeper chair in the living room for Zoe. This would be an issue given that Kira will not share a bed with her. So that would mean that we would have to bring an air mattress. So I decided that I needed to take the waitlist off of that room and be happy.

SOOOO officially we have a 2 bedroom near hospitality for 4 nights. (10/1 to 10/5)

This meant that we would be doing a split stay at OKW. :rolleyes: So again I looked at options. (cause how boring... a split stay at the same resort)

Now a one bedroom for the remaining 4 nights at BWV was available. This time Steve thought it was a good idea. The extra space, the washer and dryer in the room, the jacuzzi tub.... not to mention KNOWING we will be near epcot was appealing. I was all set to book it this morning when member services opened up. Then I got in the way. I realized that Steve and I didn't want the dining plan for those last 4 nights. I also remembered the issue with there not being a sleeper chair. :headache:

I certainly can make myself crazy at times.

Luckily, Kira was up and on her way to work. We chatted a bit. One of my concerns with keeping the OKW studios and waitlisting the BWV studios was that it is unlikely that one will come through... IMPOSSIBLE that both will. Kira was very sweet. She told me that she didn't have a problem with that. She was feeling bad that this had become so complicated for me. That if she, Zoe and the grandparents were not coming I would have booked a room at BCV or BWV without hesitation because even a room that cost more points would have been doable considering it was just 1 room and not essentially 3.

So with that we are now OFFICIALLY staying in 2 studios at OKW (waitlisting the BWV) for 4 nights (10/5 to 10/9)

Funny how I could have saved myself a lot of headache if I just stuck with my plan of OKW from the very beginning. :rotfl:

Lets just hope I don't go through this all over again in January. I do have a room "booked" for marathon weekend. But I do want to switch.... It is just 3 of us though so I am only on the hunt for ONE studio. :rotfl:

Congrats on getting the accommodations down for ToT weekend!

I'll keep fingers crossed you get BWV!!!

Congrats on getting the accommodations down for ToT weekend!

I'll keep fingers crossed you get BWV!!!

Thanks! I just wish I had not spent so much time on it. The hotel for the AHM - took no time. In fact I wasn't even planning to book it when I did. I need to learn to be more decisive.

As for BWV... if it comes through then great if not I can definitely see the advantages to staying at OKW. (two actual queen beds for one). I just don't see it happening.

So the poor DLH trip gets so little love. I feel bad. Cynthia and I had the room taken care of before I had anything else with the other trips planned.

Maybe it is the fact there are fewer people or the stay is so much less, but something about the DLR trips that is making me so much more at ease in planning them.

Not a lot to say about the hotel other than we originally wanted to stay on property. Would have been very nice and would have been my first time. However, it probably is good we opted not to since Cynthia and I both had other uses for our points. :rolleyes1 I definitely see where having points... just means you spend them. :rolleyes:

Cynthia got a great rate - as in no matter what discount I get from what ever booking site or on the hotel website itself I can not get it lower.

We are booked at the Anabella for 3 nights. (8/29 to 9/1)
anabella_header_eletter_2013.jpg

I have never stayed here. It looks amazing and the room she booked us in is HUGE. We certainly should not be tripping over each other. We also should have a pretty easy walk to the corrals. :cool1:

Ann, my head just spins thinking about where you are staying. Planning for so many people must be "a bit of a pain".
Glad you got it down so far ........ ;)

Ann, my head just spins thinking about where you are staying. Planning for so many people must be "a bit of a pain".
Glad you got it down so far ........ ;)

Believe me... your head is not the only one spinning. :rotfl: I just complicated it too much.

Bottom line everyone needed their own bed and we needed to be all together for the first 4 and all separate for the last 4.

It would have been far easier if points were not so different per resort and per room category. I had NO idea that this was the case before purchasing DVC. I knew that rooms for members cost points and that the time of year could make those points vary. I didn't realize that resorts can have a lot of different categories.

In the end though... I am still very much in love with my DVC. Rack rate on the rooms I have booked is OUTRAGEOUS. I never ever would have paid that. Course, I never ever would have booked a 2 bedroom either.

Believe me... your head is not the only one spinning. :rotfl: I just complicated it too much.

Bottom line everyone needed their own bed and we needed to be all together for the first 4 and all separate for the last 4.

It would have been far easier if points were not so different per resort and per room category. I had NO idea that this was the case before purchasing DVC. I knew that rooms for members cost points and that the time of year could make those points vary. I didn't realize that resorts can have a lot of different categories.

In the end though... I am still very much in love with my DVC. Rack rate on the rooms I have booked is OUTRAGEOUS. I never ever would have paid that. Course, I never ever would have booked a 2 bedroom either.

Ann, I can so relate to your comment of not realizing there were so many different points combinations for rooms.
Since I never ever thought about us buying into DVC we just had NO knowledge of how these things worked until we were committed. :lmao: But when it comes to booking and figuring out what amount of points it will take I use this point calculator, which I found on another site I used to be a regular at.
AND, since you mentioned the outragous prices for some of the resorts - I made a list and keep hold of what it would cost us paying cash (with no discounts) than we would break even next year! Figuring in discounts it would take us another year - so that makes me happy - after 4 (5) years breaking even is not bad, is it?

Ann, I can so relate to your comment of not realizing there were so many different points combinations for rooms.
Since I never ever thought about us buying into DVC we just had NO knowledge of how these things worked until we were committed. :lmao: But when it comes to booking and figuring out what amount of points it will take I use this point calculator, which I found on another site I used to be a regular at.
AND, since you mentioned the outragous prices for some of the resorts - I made a list and keep hold of what it would cost us paying cash (with no discounts) than we would break even next year! Figuring in discounts it would take us another year - so that makes me happy - after 4 (5) years breaking even is not bad, is it?

That calculator is AWESOME! (thanks for sharing it!!!) I can at a glance compare what rooms are going to cost me. Problem is... I can totally see I need more points unless I always want to stay at OKW. I wonder why it take so much fewer points to stay there.... :scratchin

The fall 2014 trip alone pushes us to almost the half way mark of breaking even. I think after our fall 2015 one we will break even.

That calculator is AWESOME! (thanks for sharing it!!!) I can at a glance compare what rooms are going to cost me. Problem is... I can totally see I need more points unless I always want to stay at OKW. I wonder why it take so much fewer points to stay there.... :scratchin

The fall 2014 trip alone pushes us to almost the half way mark of breaking even. I think after our fall 2015 one we will break even.

I am glad the calculator is useful to you! :goodvibes I really love to see the differences in points, even though I fail to understand why some are SO high in points.
Let me say that I do NOT mind OKW being less points ;) I love it there and if it costs me less points I can spend more nights there. :lmao:

I am glad the calculator is useful to you! :goodvibes I really love to see the differences in points, even though I fail to understand why some are SO high in points.
Let me say that I do NOT mind OKW being less points ;) I love it there and if it costs me less points I can spend more nights there. :lmao:

I guess I can understand some of it. Savannah view... theme park view... boardwalk view. I think all of these should be higher. I just feel like they are almost twice as high as a standard...and that doesn't make sense to me. Rack rate rooms are not twice as expensive for the upgraded view...so why the DVC?

I agree... OKW can remain as an option requiring fewer points. The rooms are bigger... the views all are nice. I can live with that. :thumbsup2

I read the first couple while mads finished a nap and k and d ate. I have to say that it may be nice to have an early night on flight day! If anything you could always tour hotels or dtd for some Disney magic! I love that steve will race with you, I am hoping k gets that bug that's why I have them coming with me for the phm! He doesn't know this... But I do:) I love those pictures of Kira and Zoe! So cute!

Sorry I have to keep reading a little and replying, I am on the phone while the baby is sleeping and I don't want to forget what I wanted to add! I want to check out that site when I get my computer hooked up again and I get a race in!
I am sorry about your in laws, my grandpa does that but I am not like you, I get upset!
Glad that you booked the trip to Tampa, I am sure 3 days you'd find something if that happened!
I liked having a car at Disney! But is it as hard to get around in a car as people keep saying during the races?

I am actually on the lookout for new luggage so thank you for that! I let someone use my luggage and it came back ripped!
Avengers sounds fun! Maybe they will have the people from the show there! K isn't into that, but D would be!
Okay, I am almost caught up :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter