Tween Girls Christmas Gift Ideas?

I also posted this on the Community board.

My DD11 has been trying/starting to draw Anime characters here recently. I'm so very happy that she is play with her artistic side, finally! I want to get her a book or two on how to draw them and some drawing supplies for Christmas. The problem is I don't know what books would be best for her. There are a ton of them on Amazon.. I do want to pick the right ones for her. That are not to difficult to understand and not to overwhelming.

Anyone here draw Anime and can tell me where to start? LOL This mom needs all the help she can get.

I also posted this on the Community board.

My DD11 has been trying/starting to draw Anime characters here recently. I'm so very happy that she is play with her artistic side, finally! I want to get her a book or two on how to draw them and some drawing supplies for Christmas. The problem is I don't know what books would be best for her. There are a ton of them on Amazon.. I do want to pick the right ones for her. That are not to difficult to understand and not to overwhelming.

Anyone here draw Anime and can tell me where to start? LOL This mom needs all the help she can get.

My dd draws anime but she never really got into the books I got her so I can't really help with suggestions. I would just go to Barnes and Noble and look through some of them to get an idea of whether or not your dd would like it. I saw some at Michael's today, they looked like basic ones for beginners.

I want to thank the DISer who first posted about the Smash Books. I already got my dd a Wreck Me Journal because of this thread, so I figured why not get her a Smash Book too. I like that she has one to "destroy" and will have this to keep all that stuff in her junk drawer in! She has notes and tickets and pictures all over her room, now she'll have a place to keep all her mementos safe (and neat!)
I got each of my god dd's one too. I think I'll just keep running up to ACMoore and Michael's with my coupons until Christmas. That way I'll have a bunch of accessories for them too.

Well, another Smash Book convert here. :goodvibes Stopped by Target and they had a bunch of the accessories 50% off so I stocked up. Michaels will have the best price on the journals I think (with coupon) but our store only had a meh selection (lots of wedding and baby, not so many of the other colors). Walmart had the best selection by far, so I think I'm going to meander DD into the craft section next time we're there, so I can get an idea of which book DD would like best. I like how each color is kinda tied to a theme and how each book has different paper inside.

Both Target and Walmart had a ton of crafty type kits on clearance. There's a few things I'm keeping my eye on; hopefully they'll drop lower than 30% off.

I just looked up what the Smash Book is and I am laughing.

My 9 year old has been doing this type of stuff on her own with notebooks since she was 5 or 6 years old. Who knew she could have sold this idea!! :lmao:

She would love it, although she already has notebooks and binders etc of stuff that she deemed worthy to keep.
All just kind of smashed in there! With duct tape, stickers, glue...whatever she can get her hands on!

She is in 4th grade and last weekend pulled out a file of stuff from her 1st grade classwork to compare against her brothers!

I will be picking up some Smash Books for my kids!

Love the ideas in this thread...I've been struggling for dd. I picked up some smash journal stuff today and I'll get some more to add to it as we get closer to Christmas .

Ephany said:
Well, another Smash Book convert here. :goodvibes Stopped by Target and they had a bunch of the accessories 50% off so I stocked up. Michaels will have the best price on the journals I think (with coupon) but our store only had a meh selection (lots of wedding and baby, not so many of the other colors). Walmart had the best selection by far, so I think I'm going to meander DD into the craft section next time we're there, so I can get an idea of which book DD would like best. I like how each color is kinda tied to a theme and how each book has different paper inside.

Both Target and Walmart had a ton of crafty type kits on clearance. There's a few things I'm keeping my eye on; hopefully they'll drop lower than 30% off.

Okay so Walmart carries this line also???

Thanks for all of these great ideas.

I wish my DD was this crafty! I guess she takes after her Momma, not a creative bone in her body.:rotfl:

I did buy the back bed rest and the tapefetti.

Other ideas i had for my 12 year old were

a crossbody small bag
DVD for her room
a new clothes hamper for her room (she still has princess one)
Kindle Fire (although the only time she can read for pleasure is in the summer since school demands are so great)
mani/pedi gift card

I was thinking of maybe getting battery operated scented candles. I think they have them on QVC. I have to look into them more.

I'd love to get her a jewelry box but all I can find are kid ones which are really small or adult ones which are pretty big and expensive. I'm on the hunt for a nice size one for her age!

I just don't seem to have that "wow" (big gift).

Found so many great ideas on here! Love the headbands and the Kingdom Keepers books : )

I was thinking of maybe getting battery operated scented candles. I think they have them on QVC. I have to look into them more.

I'd love to get her a jewelry box but all I can find are kid ones which are really small or adult ones which are pretty big and expensive. I'm on the hunt for a nice size one for her age!

Found so many great ideas on here! Love the headbands and the Kingdom Keepers books : )

We are getting DD a jewelry armoire this year for her room. We redid her room in the Spring and she got her ears pierced just after the holidays last year, so she's into earrings and jewelry and currently uses one side of my armoire, so we are hunting a white one for her room. JCP has some online that are decent priced and my neighbor ordered some things from hayneedle.com that were decent priced and they ship for free. Haven't purchased one yet, but we are narrowing down our options.

As of this morning, I am considering this "Beauty School Kit" for DD11:

http://www.youngexplorers.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=Y1192191&ref=us&site=YE

DD14 found it in the catalog this morning at breakfast. In the last week, DD11 has decided that she wants to be a beautician. We'll see if that thought continues, and if so, will consider this. I have to figure out what accessory packs are necessary- I think the makeup is separate. I think she would love it even if she changes her career goals since she is so girly.

My SIL's dad owns a nearby beauty school, and my SIL and Sister both went there when I was a tween. Sometimes they would give me used mannequin heads to play with. Too bad they were always already cut short! I couldn't do a whole lot with them. This would have been more fun.

bas71873 said:
We are getting DD a jewelry armoire this year for her room. We redid her room in the Spring and she got her ears pierced just after the holidays last year, so she's into earrings and jewelry and currently uses one side of my armoire, so we are hunting a white one for her room. JCP has some online that are decent priced and my neighbor ordered some things from hayneedle.com that were decent priced and they ship for free. Haven't purchased one yet, but we are narrowing down our options.

I got younger dd (9 yo) this armoire for Christmas last year.. she loves it and it fits all her earrings/necklaces/etc nicely. It's a great size for her room, and not too tall.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wooden-Jewelry-Armoire-White-Finish/17252298

I noticed they have a similar one on Amazon a bit cheaper if you have Amazon Prime for free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/White-Jewelry...qid=1349966661&sr=8-15&keywords=white+armoire

Pandora bracelets are great and then once she has one it makes life easier for all the grandparents, aunts, etc. that don't know what to buy - charms. My 10 year old's is already full!

Hi,
I've been lurking on this thread taking note of all of the fabulous gift ideas. :thumbsup2
Just wanted to chime in about the jewelry box. One year I found a really great deal in October at a Pottery Barn outlet. Try there if you're near one. I think it was under $25 and well worth it for the size. My girls also received jewelry boxes engraved with their initials as a wedding party gift. I believe the bride purchased them at Things Remembered. They loved the personalization. Last year Pottery Barn also did a free engraving promotion right around Black Friday. There may have been free shipping too. I remember because I waited a day too long and then they couldn't guarantee it for Christmas.

I just came across another item that I think kids this age would get a kick out of - especially the ones who will be getting Smash books. This may be old news to some but I just saw that Polaroid is bringing back their instant cameras. I've seen 2 models - one that's really expensive (over $200) and one that is about $70. The less expensive one makes pictures that are about business card size which I thought would be perfect for the Smash books. I'm still debating whether I'm going to get one for my DD. The film for these cameras is pricey - one review I read said it works out to about $1 per photo. So it's a bit extravagant. But I know my DD would have a blast with this and it would be such a fun thing to go along with the Smash Books.

Just remembered another thing that DD is asking for - Novi Star dolls. We saw these at Walmart the other day and we both thought they were hilarious and cute. I'm now seeing them pop up other places - Toysrus and Justice both have them on their websites. There is a Novi Star website too. They will probably be a passing fad but they aren't terribly expensive. And they're really cute (in a weird way).

Exactly where in each store are you guys finding the smash books? Can't seem to find any. Looked at Wreck this books and don;t think its what my dtr would want.

Exactly where in each store are you guys finding the smash books? Can't seem to find any. Looked at Wreck this books and don;t think its what my dtr would want.

At my Target they were in the stationary section-near greeting cards.

At my walmart it was kind of near some of the craft stuff but actually in the toy department.

At Micheals it was on an end cap near scrapbooking stuff. I ran in for something quick a short while ago and it wasn't right there but I wasn't looking for it so I don't know where they moved it to.

I just bought DD9 one this weekend with a 40% off coupon at AC Moore, so I got if for around $7. SHE LOVES IT! She's putting more on her Christmas wish list! At AC Moore and at Target they were in the scrapbooking sections. My AC Moore had mini ones too that I might do for a stocking stuffer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter