Tusker House question re: characters

Susan388

Earning My Ears
We're thinking about canceling our 9:15 res for party of 7 in order to get an early start in AK. I heard that Donald greets you at the door but doesn't come around to the tables. Is this correct and what about other characters? :confused3

Donald serves as a "host", just like Belle does at Akershus - he's there to greet you and snap photos as you enter to be seated, but he doesn't circulate.

All of the other characters wander around just like at any other character meal.

I really like the Tusker breakfast, so unless you are bummed about the Donald thing to the point of giving up, don't let that discourage you.

Adding to what PP posted, the characters that do visit your tables are Mickey, Daisy, and Goofy all in their safari outfits.

We did the breakfast in September and loved it. Nice selection of food. Each character came to the table twice during our meal, signed autographs and posed for pictures. We will be going back again.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like we will enjoy the characters.

My main concern is that we would be so late beginning our 'tour' of AK...probably near 10:00 a.m. since our res is 9:15.

AK is a small park, and in my opinion, there isn't thst much to do there unless you want to spend a lot of time lookingbat animals, or go on the rides many times. It's a half-day park and Tusker House breakfast is my favourite thing to do there, so I would definitely keep!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

You can wait and see if other res time become available.
Tusker breakfast is must do for us. So what we usually do is ADR for 8am when the park opens at 9am so we can be already in the park when they drop the rope.

Or you can look for 11am breakfast time (maybe give some cereal or snack for kids when they get up). That way, you get to AK by 9am and get in line for your favorite ride and get fast pass as well. By the time crowd comes to the park, you can sit down and enjoy late breakfast. For 2 hours from the opening time, you may be able to achieve 3 or 4 ride for sure with the next fast pass in hand.

Donald stay by the entrance to greet you. I don't think he will come inside but other characters come to your table.
I think Tusker lunch is also good although I am not sure if they have characters.

It will be great experience and you should keep your ADR till other time option comes up for sure!

We had an 11:30 lunch there last week. The hardest part with AK was scheduling the shows. We did rides before lunch and then FOLK then Nemo. We would have liked to do FOW, but we were too exhausted. It was our first park day and I think we were still adjusting.

Great food at Tusker! The breakfast and lunch were both out so we got the best of both worlds.

Its a small park, I honestly wouldnt worry about missing park time. I think a 915am ADR is fine. The breakfast is really good, love their variety. I personally dont care for the lunch selection at tusker, breakfast is far far better. The characters are cute.

. . . I heard that Donald greets you at the door but doesn't come around to the tables. Is this correct and what about other characters?

1) Donald has pictures outside, and NO autographs.
2) No signing of autographs is a Union contractual issue.
3) However, on really rainy days, Donald will circulate inside.
4) Since he can't stay dry outside.
5) If he circulates inside, HE DOES sign autographs per union contract.

6) All other character circulate inside and sign autographs.

1) Donald has pictures outside, and NO autographs.
2) No signing of autographs is a Union contractual issue.
3) However, on really rainy days, Donald will circulate inside.
4) Since he can't stay dry outside.
5) If he circulates inside, HE DOES sign autographs per union contract.

6) All other character circulate inside and sign autographs.

Very strange on the Union contractual issue... do you know the rational behind this? My children were very disappointed to not get the signature at Tusker, we were happy to find him with his sombrero in Mexico later in the week.

Very strange on the Union contractual issue... do you know the rational behind this?

1) Yes.
2) The area is too confined.
. . . the handler has no control over kids man-handling the character
. . . would slow up the line too much, and breaks are tough to get *
3) In the eatery while roving or in parks,
. . . handlers have room to move the character or the kids if misbehaving
. . . relatively easy to halt the kids for the character's breaks

* As for speed, imagine a family with two kids, each wanting an autograph.
This adds up to 1½-minutes per kid. Now, imagine 1,100 seats per each
meal (breakfast and lunch, 1100 each). So, that could mean 300-400 extra
minutes. Now, people could easily be 1-2 hrs late for their ADR, just because
of Donald autographs. Plus, now try to find a way for the character to break
away for their break each 20-minutes and be immediately relieved by the
relief person.

1) Yes.
2) The area is too confined.
. . . the handler has no control over kids man-handling the character
. . . would slow up the line too much, and breaks are tough to get *
3) In the eatery while roving or in parks,
. . . handlers have room to move the character or the kids if misbehaving
. . . relatively easy to halt the kids for the character's breaks

* As for speed, imagine a family with two kids, each wanting an autograph.
This adds up to 1½-minutes per kid. Now, imagine 1,100 seats per each
meal (breakfast and lunch, 1100 each). So, that could mean 300-400 extra
minutes. Now, people could easily be 1-2 hrs late for their ADR, just because
of Donald autographs. Plus, now try to find a way for the character to break
away for their break each 20-minutes and be immediately relieved by the
relief person.

Interesting...makes sense. It is really interesting to learn the rational for the things Disney does for logistics.

Rusty Scupper...I've been reading your posts for a dozen years now and I just wanted to say that you rule!!:thumbsup2

Love your posts; love your wit! Thanks for being a great member of this board!

and I had lunch reservations for noon. It was rainy. Donald did indeed circulate, in fact he was very comical, hugged my DD and pecked her on the head repeatedly (duck kisses) and held up his finger in a #1 sign the whole time. My daughter still suspects that he had a crush on her, its pretty cute. She will always remember that and now Donald is her favorite Disney character.

and I had lunch reservations for noon. It was rainy. Donald did indeed circulate . . .

1) Yep.
2) No cover for Donald in the rain.

The rain on his mane,
is a really big pain.
His fur gets matted
when his head gets patted.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest