Turkey Legs: I don't get it...

it has turned my stomach just reading about them, I love turkey,but don't like ham, I tried one bite a few years ago, it was nasty and greasy to me, but for some odd reason DD loves them and gets one everytime we go,in fact her,DH and Ds(11) get one to share to hold them over til we go out for dinner...to each their own I guess...me I'll stick to burgers and snacks...

Disneykidsdad said:
Agreed...I tried one a few years ago and was not impressed. To me it didn't even taste like turkey. It tasted more like ham to me.

Didn't taste like turkey because it's emu.

I'm a big time meat lover. But i the site of people eating the turkey legs just look like cavemen chomping on some raw meat. I know...i know...it probably tastes better than it looks. But i can't get over the vision.

WDW TURKEY LEGS:

1) Disney sells about 1.5 MILLION turkey legs every year!
2) That is about 7 turkey legs for every man-woman-child in Orlando.
3) Each of these monstrous bird legs weighs in at 1.5 pounds and costs $9.75.
4) They supposedly come from 40-50 pound turkeys!
5) Nutrition facts per leg
. . . about 1,092 calories per leg.
. . . about a days worth of fat
. . . about two days worth of sodium
6) Recipe
. . . take one leg
. . . inject salt brine
. . . smoke at 225º for 4 hrs.
7) Available
. . . MK - near Liberty Square
. . . EP - near America
. . . AK - near Flame Tree BBQ
. . . HS - near Tower of Terror

NOTE: We really do like the taste of the turkey legs. However,
we seldom finish one, so we save the calories for later. We still
get the taste when we have a hankerin'.

The smell of those things do me in. It literally makes me gag. :sick: Sorry to those of you who like them. One time there was someone in line behind me eating them and I almost had to get out of line. I did my best to stay as far away as possible.

I'm not sure why? I like turkey and ham. I even like smoked turkey (like the smoked turkey breast from Honey Baked). Maybe its because I'm not a fan of eating things on the bone? I don't know why that would make the smell bother me, though.

Maggie

Ewwwww turkey legs are gross! I can't help but think of Fred Flintstone when I see someone eating one. I think what gets me is the smell and all the yucky veins in them.

We despise them! We made the mistake 10+ years ago of trying them after reading raves about them here on the DIS. Gross!

WDW TURKEY LEGS:

6) Recipe
. . . take one leg
. . . inject salt brine

7) Available
. . . EP - near America

OMG GAG!!!! :crazy2: :scared:

:sick:

TheRustyScupper said:
WDW TURKEY LEGS:

6) Recipe
. . . take one leg
. . . inject salt brine
7) Available
. . . EP - near America

40-50 lb. turkey??? I think peter fan is right and i've heard it before it is emu.

I can assure you that it's turkey. I've received ingredient lists from the Special Diets department due to allergies. It would be illegal for them to state in the ingredients that it's one type of meat when it's in fact another. It is turkey.

We tried turkey (or Emu's really don´t know) legs on our first trip to WDW as man and wife with DH... every body seems so excited about it, and they look kind'a of fun.
BIG, HUGE MISTAKE!!!
We were at Epcot waiting for illuminations... end up sitting still trying to get pass the nausea felling after trying to eat and trashing the birdie legs :sick:

Dh and I shared one for dinner on the last trip. We weren't impressed. DH really wanted to try it so...He even said it wasn't something he needed to do again.

Our APs expire in a few days. This was our last weekend, so, my daughter and I decide to try an infamous turkey leg. Maybe because the shirts are cute, or we have seen so many people "enjoying" them, who knows?

I do know that I am now set for life. It was just alright, nothing more. I needed some protein that day, and it helped.

I am still wondering what the fascination is....

It's just one of those Disney things - Dole Whips, turkey legs, etc, etc. Mob mentality -- i.e. buying just because you're at Disney..

At one time, I ate a turkey leg every trip. Then I read the fat and sodium content and I don't eat them anymore.

I fall in to the category of "I just had to try it" I love food and really love meat. Much to my (and my wife's) suprise, I hated it. It was tough, hard to get the meat away from all the tendons, and messy. I have had one and have no desire for another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!