Turkey Leg ?

WantToGoNow

DIS Veteran
Ok, I've seen them in the parks and they smell wonderful, but they look nasty. How do they taste? I'm thinking I might give one a try this trip but I'm pretty sure my kids will want no part of it.

They have a ham-like flavour to them because of the smoking process used. This has led to an urban legend that they are in fact not turkey but ham or ostrich or emu or some other animal (especially since they're large) but I assure you that they are in fact turkey. They're quite tasty but the tendons are tougher than turkey legs I cook at home.

I would suggest you get one to share. Be advised the salt content is pretty high. I'd say take a zipper bag to store the leftovers but unless you are close to our room or going back soon, that might not be good. Although I think the preservatives are so much it might not even matter.

I've never had one but in 2009 we were there with friends and one of them HAD to try one. He said it was extremely salty and smelled better than it tasted.
I would say try it because everyone's tastes are different. What bad for one is good for another... :thumbsup2

They taste like ham and they are great until you get to those nasty thick hard white tendons and then they are just blech

I love the turkey legs! They are salty and messy to eat. One is normally enough for my Mom and me. We usually have one at the MK and over at AK. The tendons are tough and stringy, but they can be useful when trying to pull the leg apart to share. Sharing one to see if you like it is a good idea - get lots of napkins!

Ohhh yummy! I love the turkey legs! They are a must share item, cause they are huge! :) I agree with everyone else, though - they are salty.

I have to say that I find them to taste like :rolleyes1. I tried one a few years back and it was gross. My son wanted one last year and he took one bite and was done.

Yeah, if you're not sharing, then I suggest passing. One leg has over 1000 calories and twice the fat and sodium content recommended for an entire day. That's one hell of a snack!

I think the turkey legs are one of the things that you have to try at least once. I usually split one and it's one of my favorite indulgences of my trip. They are nice and smokey and they really do taste like ham!

We call them hamhocks. That is not a compliment. They don't taste like turkey as many have said and if you are not a fan of ham don't try them. YUCK!

Meat rarely looks really good. Photographing it is even harder coming from experience. But WE love those legs. As was said, they taste like ham and are salty (I LOVE salty) but very delicious! I'm not a fan of the tendony stuff so my DS and I just eat the thick peieces of meat and my carniverous DH fnishes the whole thing off. I eat chicken wings the same way. Don't like those veins and stuff but I'll take the thick meat portions and pass the now mutilated wing to DH and he loves it. :goodvibes Be sure to protect your leg from the living birds in the area though. They LOVE those legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter