Tulum (Cozumel) with kids??

PattiPB

<font color=green>I'll be happy to learn the secre
We are visiting Cozumel this summer, and were considering doing the Tulum excursion. Our kids will be barely 11 (DD), 9 & 7 (DS's). I am looking for comments/suggestions/warnings about doing this excursion with kids that age. It seems like a long day from ship to boat to bus to tour to bus to boat to ship.

Please comment if you have any experience with this excursion. I expect we will return to Cozumel, so this isn't a "once in a lifetime" thing. If not Tulum, what do you suggest?

Thanks for the help!

I have never done this excursion exactly, but have done excursions in Cozumel and the times arent always exactly accurate if that helps. Like swimming w/ dolphins...they added time to go thru park they had there and said it was a several hour event...I personally didn't care to see the park part since I had a child back in the club onboard so we did the swim and headed right back and it took 1/2 the time the stated. But that was my choice. They had taxi's there and you could go back when you wanted... hope that helped some....

We did not do the Tulum tour (I have been there before and I didn't feel DS5 would enjoy it.) but I did talk to some others who did. It is a very LONG day! Since Tulum is on the mainland, they have to get everyone organized, bus you to a ferry, travel to the mainland, onto another bus and finally you get to Tulum. Although it is an interesting place, it is VERY hot and sunny there. There is a small beach, but not all that exciting. I got the impression from some of those who went that they spent more time traveling there and back than they did in Tulum. One person said the ferry made her seasick which spoiled much of the trip for her.

If your kids are really interested in archeaology and the Mayans, then it might be a worthwhile trip. If they are not, it may be a long day of "I'm tired, I'm hot, "when can we go" etc! The ruins are interesting, but they are not anywhere near the scale of Chichen Izta (which is too far away to really consider visiting from a cruise.)

pdarrah

DS and DD did the Tulum tour last September ... I stayed onboard with the grandkids b/c I didn't think it was a good choice for them.

They spent most of the time traveling ... it was hot ... at the restrooms you were charged for t.p.

They enjoyed it, but said it was a good thing we didn't take the grandkids.

Thank you all for your comments.

Still considering, so would love to hear from others.

BTW---if we do a "down" day, we'll probably go to Paradise Beach. Comments on that would be appreciated as well.

We went on a private tour of Tulum and fresh water cenote tour just last month with a great lady named Isabel. She met us in Cozumel and we went over on the ferry with her. Great with the kids too and she had a very nice air conditioned van, she spoke great english and was a super guide.

The ruins were very interesting and the view was incredible, right on the beach. The cenote was a excellent addition, the water was crystal clear and so refreshing. She took such great care of us and made sure we got back on time. I would highly recommend her.

We booked her through :Tulum and Cenote Tour with Isabel

My DH and I went to Tulum in January and I thought it was well worth the long trip because the views were breathtaking but if we had our DD12 with us I think it would have been a long, tiring day for her. There's a nice beach there but I still don't think it would be as enjoyable for young children as some of the other excursions, especially in the summer heat. Since Tulum is the only excursion we have done I can't offer any suggestions on other excursions although we did consider Paradise Beach since it seems quite popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter