Trying to find the cheapest way to go to Disney World

Flying would actually be over $600, plus you'd still need the taxi. As stated, you can bring some food, sleep, and do "whatever" on the computer if you took Greyhound. You could even read a book!

I would not flip over the sales presentation. Usually, they're scheduled for around 9am, so go eat and pretend to listen (then say) no and by noon your at Disney World. We never get to the parks before noon and we're always fine. I'd do Epcot that day and immediately get your Soarin' FPs. Your final day (because you won't be there that night) could be at AK due to it not having any nighttime entertainment. Best of all, you have a year so you can save little by little. You'd just need to pay the $299 and the Greyhound now.

I'm just wondering how my mom would react to taking a bus down to Florida. Well I've got a lot of options.

My brain hurts. I really would rather fly but we'll have to see. I don't know why they had to throw in the presentation thing.

If you prefer to fly then do that. You asked for the cheapest way to get to WDW not the most convenient. A lot of people have given you excellent tips and suggestions including "Andyman" who took it a step further and did all the calculations for you :thumbsup2
As far as the presentation goes nobody is going to give you something for nothing. It is the excellent deal that it is because of the presentation.
If you are looking for a super budget trip know that you will not be getting all the bells and whistles. Good luck.

I don't think there was much arguing.:confused3

You know that if you stay at a value, take Greyhound, and eat QS, you can stay for 5 nights/6 days for under $2,000. That's a decent deal! If it's still to much consider this.

Honestly, all we're trying to do is help.

To take advantage of that "offer" wouldn't you have to meet the age and income requirements? Please don't flame me; I am only asking.

To take advantage of that "offer" wouldn't you have to meet the age and income requirements? Please don't flame me; I am only asking.

Again, I don't know the OP's specifics. Just trying to help out... But now that you mention it, that might be a problem.

Just to jump in here.... Consider Amtrak.... We use it from northeastern Ohio to WDW and for the 2 of us, round trip coach seats 450.00... Not too bad, you can sleep on the train, bring food and drink aboard, save 10% booking with AAA, AAA offers discount Disney room, students I believe get a huge percent of train rates....

Not a bad deal, we enjoy traveling by train, eats up some time but saves a bit for travel!!

Just to jump in here.... Consider Amtrak.... We use it from northeastern Ohio to WDW and for the 2 of us, round trip coach seats 450.00... Not too bad, you can sleep on the train, bring food and drink aboard, save 10% booking with AAA, AAA offers discount Disney room, students I believe get a huge percent of train rates....

Not a bad deal, we enjoy traveling by train, eats up some time but saves a bit for travel!!

I've always wanted to travel by train but for some reason or another have never gotten around to it.

My brain hurts. I really would rather fly but we'll have to see. I don't know why they had to throw in the presentation thing.

That's really the only reason they would give anyone that deal. Everyone would do it if it were just a great deal on tickets and hotel, know what I mean? I've done one before and while it was frustrating, you kind of have to look at it like being paid for your time. I declined the breakfast because that time doesn't count in your 90 minutes, and I wanted to be out of there as quickly as possible.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take a bus. That's a long trip. Looking on Southwest for February(can't look for August yet obviously), they have Wanna Get Away Fares for $109-$120 pp each way, so under $500 total. If you stayed onsite with Free dining, you would also get free transport from/to the airport.

So.....if you did a Sun PM through Friday AM stay at Pop century during free dining, the cost would be $1081.00. Adding in airfare, you're looking at $1600 plus extra food and souvenirs. I think you could do it for under $2000.

We once went to a timeshare presentation to get free Sea World tickets. We were there two hours! Luckily I was 9 or 10 (it was either our first or second holiday) so went to the club thing provided for a bit but still. Not a good way to spend your holiday if you only have a few days, even if they promise cheap or free tickets.

I would LOVE to try a Amtrak train someday. Unfortunately since I come from the UK it's impractical.

I have spent many moons trying to get to FL at budget levels.

I like the poster who said to come up with a budget, then tweak your plans. There's no 'right' answer, and that may be part of why threads like this get contentious.

For me, I'm happy to go three days, but no offsite condos/living on granola bars. (i.e. eating on the SUPER cheap) To me, it's no vacation if I can't have a good meal.

You have to figure out what compromises work for you. Often, reducing costs results in something unpleasant- like buses, or a timeshare pitch. Ick! No thanks!

We' ve stayed offsite - in a hotwire deal hotel that included free breakfast (or ate muffins in the room). I've also stayed club level at the GF. One year, we specifically booked nine nights at Pop w/free dining (+10 day hoppers). THEN I found a 6day offer: club level at BC (5 day non hoppers) at the SAME price! Guess which one we picked?

Soemtimes flying is the least expensive option when you consider time costs. A short answer to your questions is that when it comes to WDW, time=money, and often saving money = time. If you only have a few days off work, driving might not work. (Also price out the option of renting a car near home. Sometimes that's less $ of all.)

A HUGE avenue for you to consider is making sacrifices back home to pinch pennies. Each time you sacfrifice- credit yourself $. Each time you skip movies/eating out, buying clothes (or use thrift shop), trim utility bills, skip splurges like hair/nails, clip coupons, skip getting the newest phone/new things for your phone; all those choices add up to a better vacation. (though less is not always more, sometimes cheap junk is just junk)

You can also spend more time shopping for deals. I'm not a fan of eating junk food to save money, but sometimes you can save big by making an extra effort. Like I regularly shop at two different grocery stores, AND a roadside farm. Again, my Time = Money. One store has grapes at $.99, while the other has them at $4 a pound. The famer only has (certain) produce, but the quality and prices are excellent. Eggs/vegetarian meals are far less $ than steak, and are healthy to boot!

My thinking as to once I'm on vacation actually now tends towards making the MOST of the time I have. I'd rather stay three days onsite than cooking all my meals in an offsite condo, with no daily maid service, driving back and forth to WDW, compromising lots of time in the process.

Last, I dont think the person who said you shoudl consider putting off your vacatio is mean spirited. LOTS of folks on the DIS use that very strategy as ameans of getting the most out of it. The longer you 'plan,' the more value you get from anticipating your vacation, and the more time you have to save. Once the vacation is over, it's over. I would not be in a rush to do it too soon. Dreaming of a vacation is free! It's the doing that gets pricey. The DIS is full of dreamers, plenty of folks plan two years out.

Stay off site to save money, you will especially save money on food. pack a lunch and eat dinner off site, golden coral is descent and cheap. park at downtown disney and take busses to the resorts to get free parking, rent a cheap car off priceline. Book flights plus hotel with jetblue if they fly out of your airport they give discounts on the flghts if booked as a package which is rare and makes them usually the cheapest, buy park tickets from undercover tourist

andyman8 said:
Flying would actually be over $600, plus you'd still need the taxi. As stated, you can bring some food, sleep, and do "whatever" on the computer if you took Greyhound. You could even read a book!

I would not flip over the sales presentation. Usually, they're scheduled for around 9am, so go eat and pretend to listen (then say) no and by noon your at Disney World. We never get to the parks before noon and we're always fine. I'd do Epcot that day and immediately get your Soarin' FPs. Your final day (because you won't be there that night) could be at AK due to it not having any nighttime entertainment. Best of all, you have a year so you can save little by little. You'd just need to pay the $299 and the Greyhound now.

Dude, you should just pick them up and drive them there

That's really the only reason they would give anyone that deal. Everyone would do it if it were just a great deal on tickets and hotel, know what I mean? I've done one before and while it was frustrating, you kind of have to look at it like being paid for your time. I declined the breakfast because that time doesn't count in your 90 minutes, and I wanted to be out of there as quickly as possible.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take a bus. That's a long trip. Looking on Southwest for February(can't look for August yet obviously), they have Wanna Get Away Fares for $109-$120 pp each way, so under $500 total. If you stayed onsite with Free dining, you would also get free transport from/to the airport.

So.....if you did a Sun PM through Friday AM stay at Pop century during free dining, the cost would be $1081.00. Adding in airfare, you're looking at $1600 plus extra food and souvenirs. I think you could do it for under $2000.

I like this idea.

I like this idea.

If those are airfares being offered out of philly non special sale- then odds are fairly good you can find an even lower airfare via SWA if you really keep yor eyes open. They do offer deals. Sign up for all their notices, and check fares. If you know what the going rate is, then you'll now when you see a deal.

If Philly is pretty close, then you might also want to look at BWI- a longer drive to the airport might reap bigger airfare savings.

Also, when it comes to airfare, I often save a bundle going on Thursdays and Tuesdays instead of Fridays and Sundays. Disney also charges more on hotels for the weekends.

Keep an eye out for what deals Disney offers. Free dining is only offered at specific times of year, and if you go with free dining then you have to buy tickets via WDW. Buying tickets from Undercover Tourist is only an option if you book Disney resort stay as 'room only'. If you do that, then the dining plan is not an option - i.e. you'll have to pay for food outof pocket. Either way...you'll have to do your homework to find the lowest price. Sometimes I get a better deal doing 'room only' room discounts with UT tickets, and other times I get a better deal booking a Disney package.

Keep in mind, next year, Disney has the new Fantasyland attractions opening in MK. As such, Disney may find they don't have to offer as many discounts. discoutns are only offered as a means to fill rooms that would otherwise be vacant. There will probably be some deals, but not like in the past. If the economy picks up as well, then discounts also tend to evaporate.

OP, I think that you need to begin by establishing a budget for your trip. How much can you set aside each month? August 2013 is only 10 months away. If you can't put $200/month into a vacation savings account ($50/week), you will not be able to afford that $2000 trip.

So really, that's where you need to begin. How much can you actually afford to save each week or month? Once you can answer that question, you might have a better idea as to whether you can make this vacation happen or not.

And as others have pointed out, time and convenience come at a price when it comes to just about everything in life. Flying will save you time but you'll pay more for it than you will if you were to drive. An onsite resort will be a little more convenient but an offsite condo will rent for less. A timeshare offer is going to be cheap but it's going to have strings attached and you may not qualify.

We can probably help you more if you give us an idea of what your budget is and what your expectations are (onsite? 5 or more days? flying? rental car>, etc.)

I guess my question would be similar to the PP....

What is your budget?

If you are looking for the least expensive it's often staying in a value room with a room discount and bringing your own food. If you stay off site, you still need to get from the airport to the hotel and a lot of car services will throw in a "free" stop to the grocery store. You can pick up a loaf of bread, lunch meat, a box of cereal, milk, a case of water etc.

If you stay on site you can go to the Hess gas station across from BWV.

Good luck with your planning.

I've gotten great ideas. I've gotten quotes from several Disney travel agents, all are good. All I want to do is spend a few days in Disney with my mom to celebrate my birthday. Even if it's only 3 or 4 days, I'd be fine with that. I'd look into just room only and get tickets from Undercover Tourist if necessary. It's not like I want to stay at the Grand Floridian. (Well okay I do but I know it's out of the league)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter