Trying to find the cheapest way to go to Disney World

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by DisneyAllyC, Sep 29, 2012.

1. DisneyAllyC

DisneyAllyC Princess Ally

Since I've given up on the College Program, I'm trying to find a way to get to Disney World with my mom in an affordable way. I'm in college and my mom is kind of in debt right now. I would like to hear what everyone has to recommend for discounts and packages for the summer. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. nvsnot

nvsnot Mouseketeer

1. Go during "Value" season
    2. Stay at a Value resort
    3. Consider staying off property
    4. Go for a short stay 3-5 days.

4. rachel09985

rachel09985 DIS Veteran

While going for a shorter stay would be cheaper, I would recommend a longer stay to get the most value. Because every day past 4 days is not much to upgrade it makes the cost per day much less, so you can have a longer vacation for a small incremental cost!

5. DisneyAllyC

When exactly is Value Season? I know I'm considering Pop Century. 5 days would be fine. Stayed at Pop Century before. Probably the cheapest one down there.

6. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Value season is another word for off season aka when people generally don't go and Disney has the best discounts either on the room rate or offer free dining. Its based on supply and demand. Demand is low Supply is high rooms get cheaper.

But a discount on the room rate or Free dining is pretty much all Disney has for discounts. They have had stay 4 days get 3 free but free dining (which you really have to make sure gives you the best deal) packs them in so I don't think its going away.

If you scroll down on this page you can see what the various seasons are and their rates. http://allears.net/acc/faq_pop.htm. Each resort (even among the values) have a different calendar.

Try here for money saving tips. www.mousesavers.com

7. rachel09985

rachel09985 DIS Veteran

2013 Value Season - Weekday

January 2, 2013-January 3, 2013

January 6, 2013-January 9, 2013

January 13, 2013-January 17, 2013

January 21, 2013-January 24, 2013

January 27, 2013-January 31, 2013

February 3, 2013-February 7, 2013

February 10, 2013-February 13, 2013

This is value season 2
    2013 Value Season 2 - Weekday

August 4, 2013-August 8, 2013

August 11, 2013-August 15, 2013

August 18, 2013-August 22, 2013

August 25, 2013-August 29, 2013

September 1, 2013-September 5, 2013

September 8, 2013-September 12, 2013

Value Season two looks to be only be 5 dollars more expensive per day. Try to plan around a free dining time if you can.

8. grammimouse

grammimouse Mouseketeer

All Stars is usually a little bit cheaper than Pop ( I think ). Hope that helps. Here's some Pixie dust to help your dream come true. pixiedust:

9. DisneyAllyC

The times in August are around my birthday which is great because that's why I wanted to go. I'm going to check the All Stars too

10. Radiorox

Radiorox Live from the city of Magic.

Keep in mind, if you plan with time, you can book on the site, put the down payment and just pay as you go until it's paid up. Just play with the dates to get the most bang for your buck.

Jackie.

11. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Just so you know, the closer you can get to labor day the less crowded it will be since more and more K-12 schools are back from summer vacation.

12. butsy113

butsy113 AKV Owner

Sunday - Thursday is always cheaper than the weekends also

13. DisneyAllyC

I'm going to have to talk to my mom but I'll tell her about the research I've done. I think I'd actually rather stay at All Star Movies considering I've already done Music, Sports and Pop Century. It would be a nice change and it's not that expensive. But I also kind of wanted to try out Art of Animation as well.

14. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Just be aware that AoA is the newest and has room rates higher than the other values and since its in demand will not have as good if any discounts.

This past free dining discount did not include some non suite little mermaid rooms.

15. DisneyAllyC

Then I suppose All Star Movies will be the best way to go.

16. Katems

Katems Mouseketeer

While it's true that the longer you stay the cheaper the park tickets are, you still have to pay for food and hotel on those extra days! So saying that the longer you stay the cheaper it is is ONLY true of tickets!

17. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I pretty much stopped reading after I saw this (bolded sentence). Your mother is in debt but you still want her to take you to WDW? Or are you planning on paying for the whole trip from your own earnings?

Assuming that you aren't asking your mother to assume even more debt, then consider the costs of driving vs flying (not knowing how far away from WDW you live), and bringing/buying some groceries for breakfasts and snacks in your room. I would also suggest that you go over to the budget board for more hints on how to do WDW frugally.

18. DisneyAllyC

Fortunately I have a friend who just became a Disney Travel Agent so she's helping me get a quote with a free Dining Plan. Having friends has paid off!

19. d1gitman

d1gitman Mad About The Mouse!

as others have posted, there are numerous ways to save.

- transportation (driving vs. flying)
    - if you stay onsite you get free parking if you drive
    - if you stay onsite you get free transportation to & fro parks
    - free dining promo is a good way to save when staying at a value if it is offered
    - you could rent DVC points on and stay on Fri & Sat nights and possibly pay the same or very close to a value
    - bringing snacks, drinks, etc...
    - buy tickets from authorized seller for a slight discount (if not booking a disney direct package that requires tix direct from Disney)

20. nkereina

nkereina Wendy Darling

This is only true for tickets. The additional nights in a hotel and overpriced cost of food (or dining plan), I would not consider a small incremental cost. Unless you are staying with someone who lives there, I would stick to a shorter stay.

You can definitely save money by eating in your room. There are several grocery delivery services you can order from that will deliver your groceries to your resort. By eating breakfasts and some lunches at least in your room, it will save some money. And I would opt to stay at a Value resort. While some would say its cheaper to stay off site, you would then have to factor in the cost of a rental car/gas/transportation and you lose the benefit of DDP, ME, and EMH.

21. meggiebeth

meggiebeth Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow

Try and book for free dining. That'll save you money and you won't need to worry about budgeting for food.

I'm not sure when they offer FD in the US but here it is offered pretty much all summer. :scratchin