Trying a new resort

trambach

Mouseketeer
This will be my second trip to WDW coming up next summer 2016. I previously stayed at the WL and it was a great resort. Since there are so many resorts onsite I've decided to try something new. The two i've narrowed it down to two Contemporary Resort Garden Wing and the Poly Standard Room.

Has anyone stayed at either, and which would you prefer?

Thanks!

How long is your stay? If it's 6 or more nights you may want to try both. I'm doing 3 different resorts next month - 3 nights in a cabin at FW, 3 nights in a 2 bedroom villa at AK and 4 nights in a BLT 2 bedroom villa. Have Bell Services transport baggage when you check out, spend a day in the parks, check in to new resort and have BS deliver bags to room. A couple tips and both parties are happy!

We love Poly! The grounds are beautiful, love the tropical feel. Nice dining options, and good transportation with boat or monorail to MK, and short path to TTC for Epcot monorail.

I'm staying 7 nights 8 days. July 30- Aug 6. Is it possible to have two resorts booked on the same reservation? How are the standard rooms at the poly? Or would I need to upgrade to a lagoon or theme park view at the poly to make it worth it? From the rack rates I'm seeing now $474 for the std poly, $446 garden wing
Garden view CR. I know there would probably be a summer offer but I'm assuming the price difference is going to be about the same.

Thanks!

.... Is it possible to have two resorts booked on the same reservation? ....

Thanks!

Yes, but do it over the phone. Tell them what you want to do (3 nights/4nights split). Helps if you have a little flexibility with room preference and dates at each but it's actually easier getting what you want when you split.

I'm staying 7 nights 8 days. July 30- Aug 6. Is it possible to have two resorts booked on the same reservation? How are the standard rooms at the poly? Or would I need to upgrade to a lagoon or theme park view at the poly to make it worth it? From the rack rates I'm seeing now $474 for the std poly, $446 garden wing
Garden view CR. I know there would probably be a summer offer but I'm assuming the price difference is going to be about the same.

Thanks!
Unless you book a suite, or DVC, all other rooms at Poly are standard rooms, with different views. Standard View, lagoon view or theme park view. Room size is the same. Poly has some beautiful standard views. Can be of gardens, marina or pool.
For 7 nights I'm not a fan of split stays. I like to stay at one resort for at least 5 days, so I may do a split for a 10+ day stay. For me, just staying 3 days at a resort just feels like you're checking in & out with a day in between, and you don't really experience much. But everyone is different. It's just my pref.
you can't do a split stay under 1 reservation. Disney doesn't recognize split stays, and you would need 2 seperate reservations, and 2 deposits.

This will be my second trip to WDW coming up next summer 2016. I previously stayed at the WL and it was a great resort. Since there are so many resorts onsite I've decided to try something new. The two i've narrowed it down to two Contemporary Resort Garden Wing and the Poly Standard Room.

Has anyone stayed at either, and which would you prefer?

Thanks!

My choice would be the Poly. We've never stayed at the CR, but we love the Poly. The tropical atmosphere is beautiful, the pool is great as it backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle, and Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals/snacks.

How are the standard rooms at the poly? Or would I need to upgrade to a lagoon or theme park view at the poly to make it worth it? From the rack rates I'm seeing now $474 for the std poly, $446 garden wing

Thanks!

I think the standard view rooms are great. If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade to LV or TPV as I don't think there are any bad standard views at the Poly (just my opinion).

Theming at Poly is better than CR IMO. Here is what I would weigh out, are you going to MK or Epcot more? CR, a walk to MK, Poly, walk to TTC, catch monorail to Epcot. Both are reasonably accessible to both parks.

Definite vote for Poly here. If you want theming, it has it in spades. and, you could still stop at the CR and eat or grab a drink easily on the monorail. It has a bit less space to see, so you could get the vibe of it.

We were long time Poly lovers - but one year stayed a few nights at the Contemporary (at my youngest son's request) before switching to the Beach Club for the rest of our stay.

I was surprised at how much I liked the Contemporary! The decor/theme isn't as over-the-top as other Disney resorts - but it's a very nice resort. Rooms were large - easily fit our family (at the time 2 teen boys, plus me and hubby). Food choices were good - we liked the Wave and also liked the quick service dining - lots of selections. Best location for easy access to MK - a nice walk there and back. Plus, the transportation options - monorail, bus and boat to Fort Wilderness - all big pluses. It was easy to eat dinner at both the Poly and the Grand Floridian - just a monorail ride away.

A split stay might be the best option - if you like the idea - this way you can experience both resorts. Though, if you do go for it, I'd do first 3 nights Contemporary and the final 4 nights at the Poly. Good luck with your planning! For me, that's half the fun of a Disney vacation!!!

The Poly because of the tropical feel. My wife thinks the CR is like staying at a convention hotel. She is not impressed. The kids and I like the CR because the monorail GOES RIGHT THROUGH THE HOTEL (I still think that is the coolest thing) and getting to look out over the railing from up on the higher floors in the tower rooms, and the larger arcade (although it used to be even better). Also, tower rooms have great views of the MK (well, half of them). But despite all that, since my DW likes the Poly better, that's where we end up. I like the split stay idea. DW could stay at the Poly and the kids and I could stay at the CR. She'd like that.

Another vote for the Poly!

We love the whole feel of the resort... like a vacation within a vacation. ;)

I see lots of Poly people! Since I will not be traveling with kids, which hotel do you think is best suited for two adults? Does one resort have more quite/relaxing areas then the other? Also just curious, how quickly can you get to MK from the poly vs CR? Assuming you would account for either walking, waiting for a monorail or boat....
Thanks!

I haven't been to poly yet that will be next year but we stayed in contemporary garden wing and loved it! I had put Ina request for garden wing with patio even though we paid for standard and luckily got it. It was great, my kids were younger at the time but they were able to walk right outside of the room to play. Also close to the pool and beach area to,watch electric parade from the patio. Loved the monorail going through the hotel was pretty cool. A little longer walk to the tower but nothing too bad. I would stay there again. Me also,stayed at WL and it was nice but liked Contemporary better as it was easier access with monorail.

I see lots of Poly people! Since I will not be traveling with kids, which hotel do you think is best suited for two adults? Does one resort have more quite/relaxing areas then the other? Also just curious, how quickly can you get to MK from the poly vs CR? Assuming you would account for either walking, waiting for a monorail or boat....
Thanks!

You can not walk to the MK from the Poly, only from the CR. The transportation to the MK from the Poly is either by Monorail or by boat.
As a couple without young kids my choice would be the Yacht Club Resort. It has a more upscale adult feel to me, more so than either the Poly or CR. We also love the Epcot Resorts area best. From here you can walk to both EC and DHS.

Thanks!

You can not walk to the MK from the Poly, only from the CR. The transportation to the MK from the Poly is either by Monorail or by boat.
As a couple without young kids my choice would be the Yacht Club Resort. It has a more upscale adult feel to me, more so than either the Poly or CR. We also love the Epcot Resorts area best. From here you can walk to both EC and DHS.

I agree with this. LOVE the YC. Especially if EP is having a festival when you go.

If between the Poly v CR I will again vote Poly. You really feel like you are on a tropical island. Plus it has multiple lounges, including Trader Sam's which is adults only after 8pm. The only reason I have not been back yet is that I go for race weekends and it has not been a host resort lately. Otherwise, I would be There too! In normal conditions, the walk from CR v monorail from Poly are the same. Maybe a slight advantage to monorail. It only makes one stop at the GF before MK. But, walking is always going to be consistent. Whereas, it is possible the monorail gets hung up or is slowed for refurbs etc. Also, it may be busy at park closing. It fits a lot of people but can fill. You could also take the express monorail to the TTC and walk to Poly - that line was a lot shorter last time I was there.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've decided to change my existing reservation at the Contemporary and choose the Poly instead! Hopefully by July of 2016 it will be construction free!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've decided to change my existing reservation at the Contemporary and choose the Poly instead! Hopefully by July of 2016 it will be construction free!

I don't think you'll be disappointed, the Poly is an amazing resort :wizard:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter