• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Truly a Split Stay !

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
At this point, we have a trip planned in December for six nights. We do not have reservations for the same room any two consecutive nights. This was due to seven month availability, however, we have our two wait list set up trying to tie some together.

Has anyone done this before? Are we crazy?

Besides the obvious, what possible challenges could we face ?

So you are doing 3 resorts in six nights? I guess it depends, how many people are in your party?

The obvious challenge is making sure everyone is well organized with their stuff so everything is packed and ready to be moved. And the fact that you are technically "resortless" on moving day...unless the next room is ready before 4pm!

So you are doing 3 resorts in six nights? I guess it depends, how many people are in your party?

The obvious challenge is making sure everyone is well organized with their stuff so everything is packed and ready to be moved. And the fact that you are technically "resortless" on moving day...unless the next room is ready before 4pm!

We are doing five resorts in six nights (PVB in a standard and then lake view view on consecutive days). It will be just myself and DW.

Do you have a car? I think that you'll help.

I truly wish you whatever pixie dust is needed to make this only a 1 change trip.

Do you have a car? I think that you'll help.

I truly wish you whatever pixie dust is needed to make this only a 1 change trip.

We do have a car.

Thanks as we are hoping several reservations gets linked together if wait list are filled !

Are you going to have groceries?

Honestly I think it sounds crazy, but even pre kids we liked the occasional mid afternoon nap/relaxation time which you could very well never get to do if your rooms are never ready until 4.

There is nothing anywhere that gives you nights in just one or two locations? I'd change the time I went unless I had some dying need to see all the resorts you were going to try.

We have four reservations for four nights leading into Memorial weekend. If you want to know what I learn from the experience, send me a PM on May 30th!

We are split stay pros, and I created a thread to help split stayers in the Resorts board. Nearly all of our visits include at least one move, and some of our stays have been similar to yours--on purpose. You can feel free to reference it here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-ultimate-split-stay-thread.3322505/

I would also make these suggestions:

1. When we stay on points, our rooms are generally not as ready as early as they are when we stay on cash. Plan to be "homeless" from checkout (or whenever you leave your resort) until 4.

2. I would make sure you pack efficiently. Packing cubes would be a great idea--just pack what you need for each resort in each cube. Also, a hanging toiletries organizer is highly recommended. The least amount of packing and unpacking you need to do, the better.

3. If one of your rooms is ready early, and you don't want Magic Band issues, I would recommend physically checking out of each hotel. We have had the issue of our Magic Bands not working at the new resort if we have been able to get into the room early because they are still active at the old resort. The same if you are a gift card user and don't want money hitting your credit card if you use your Magic Band for purchases. Since you are likely transferring your luggage via Bell Services, it's really easy to just visit Bell Services and the front desk at the same time upon your departure morning.

4. I would not plan to have any cold groceries. If you do, while Bell Services will refrigerate your stuff, I don't know how long or how far they go when they do luggage transfers, and would imagine that depends on how many people they have switching resorts, so I wouldn't trust anything to stay cold during the transfer process. Boxed items should be fine. But I also would strongly encourage you to just skip groceries: I think your best bet is to travel as lightly as possible.

IF you guys approach this with an adventure mindset and stay organized, multiple split stays can be a ton of fun and in no way a disruption to your vacation. It's a great way to easily visit resort restaurants without hassle, stay in a new and clean room each day, efficiently get to parks near the resort where you're staying, etc. In many cases, we have found that split stays allow us to be MORE efficient with our park time and with visiting desired restaurants. Good luck with your stay and enjoy!

It seems to me that someone had a similar circumstance a while ago, and they did alright.

I will echo Kathy's thoughts, how about booking a different sort of villa that has 2 -3 nights together?

I guess you need to decide if you like moving, you don't mind being without a room during they day and if the added possibility of things going wrong is worth it.

Checking in to one resort your room may have issues, your room account or MB could have issues, or you may not like the room location.

Now multiply that times each move and you increase your chances of something going wrong. Spending an hour of going back and forth to your new room because your MB won't open your door gets old fast.

:earsboy: Bill

I consider myself the queen of split stays but this is madness. I would cancel and go when I can get 1 or maybe two rooms. Or rule is no less than 4 nights for a split stay. We generally do 3 or 4 resorts on a 16 night stay.

You will not have a single day to relax as you will be homeless every day in the middle of the day. This sounds more like a nightmare than a vacation

We do have a car.

Thanks as we are hoping several reservations gets linked together if wait list are filled !

di you wait list at 7 or 11 months. I can't imagine many 7 month wait lists coming through as many will have wait listed at 11 months.

I stayed 2 nights AKL by myself, 1night BWI with DDH, then 3 nights BWI Deluxe room with DH, DD & 2 grands; 1 night Legoland, 3 nights Poly CL with DD&grands, & then 1 night alone at Port Orleans. Not to mention the 4 hotels traveling to & from Florida! It was crazy, but doable. It was never ending adventure! I didn't like being homeless between check ins, but having a car & being able to relax in the club lounge were lifesavers. Honestly, it wasn't as relaxing as having fewer changes, but I don't think you're crazy at all! And you never know what might become available, even after you've checked in. I'm actually planning on writing a trip report for the first time because it was such an unusual trip!

We (DH & I) do split stays almost every trip. We love them! :)
We usually book part of our stay in a MK vicinity resort and while staying there we visit MK (walk/boat or monorail ride), as well as a day or two at AK (our only park bus ride necessary).
Then, we move to one of the two Epcot resort, where we do Epcot and HS (walk or boat ride) for that part of the stay.
Plus, bell services will store and move your luggage from one resort to the other. They will even keep items refrigerated, if necessary.

You never gave the dates or the type of room, but just checked Dec and there are plenty of studios, 1BR, and 2BR avail at SSR. The 1BR and 2BR are avail the entire month and the studios the same with the exception of the 4-6. Also OKW looks pretty open after the 10th for studios. Also 1BRs except for the 7-8.

I really think you are going to hate packing, checking out, and checking in that many days. Plus it leaves too many chances for misplaced luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter