Tropical System in Bahamas - port change options?

WicketsMom

Mouseketeer
We sail on the Dream starting Thursday, 10/25 and as of now it appears that there will be a big tropical system right on top of both of our ports Nassau and Castaway Cay. Anyone ever had weather interruptions/changes on this itinerary? What are the possible options if the system heads the way it looks like it is? Hoping it changes, but just trying to plan....

Good question, and one I am curious about as well. I mean, on a 3- or 4-night cruise, what options does DCL have to get out of the way of the storm?

We are heading out of Port Canaveral on 10/28 to the Bahamas and just saw the 5 day cone for TD 18. It's going to be close for us.

Also on the 25th. Trying to keep optimistic, the worst of the storm is currently on the east side of the center, and the storm center is likely to pass to the east of our route. I've read about several possible course changes in the past-- everything from switching the days of the two ports of call to skipping a port for a day at sea, to substituting Key West for a port. Who knows at this point? Fingers crossed and pray for pixie dust!

We sail on the Dream starting Thursday, 10/25 and as of now it appears that there will be a big tropical system right on top of both of our ports Nassau and Castaway Cay. Anyone ever had weather interruptions/changes on this itinerary? What are the possible options if the system heads the way it looks like it is? Hoping it changes, but just trying to plan....

As an NOAA spokesman once said, one of the safest places to be in a hurricane is on a cruise ship. Disney (and everyone else) will just steer clear of the weather. If the Bahamas are dangerous weather, they'll just go elsewhere. You'll have a smooth cruise...it might not be to where you planned to go, but believe me you'll be on the ship and the crew will make your trip enjoyable.

You'll see some guests who think Disney is to blame for the bad weather and will complain; just ignore them, and relish that you're on a cruise line that will make your cruise a great one regardless of the bad weather elsewhere.

Hurricane Ida was brewing when we cruised in November 09... and literally they changed the course and where it would land a million times. They did not get the correct location until about 48 hours beforehand.

Not quite personal experience but since nobody else posted any yet, I'll jump in. A friend sailed last October and they stayed in Port Canaveral the first evening, leaving at some point over the night when the weather cleared up. He said the only bummer was they were in Remy or Palo (I didn't know anything about DCL then, so I can't remember which) the first night, so the view was less-than-ideal in port, but otherwise they managed to get them back on track. And they still had an excellent time, storm notwithstanding. :cool1:

My parents are on the Fantasy right now, which is due to dock at Castaway Cay on Friday. If TD 18 ends up being a problem for this cruise, you can blame it on my parents who must have soem kind of jinx on this port. Last time they were at Castaway Cay it was in February, 2010, when the Magic was stuck overnight due to high winds. -- Suzanne

We're on the 10/25 cruise as well and a few from our group have called DCL.

Here are the options being considered by DCL at this time:

1. Hug the Florida coast and have all sea days
2. Go to different islands
3. Swap when they go to Nassau and Castaway Cay

So long as we leave port with no problems on Thursday (which it looks like we will be) I'm good with whatever happens!

Of course, I will be disappointed if we miss Castaway Cay though, as I have been secretly training to run the 5K with my family and have even made shirts for all of us!

We've been on a couple of cruises impacted by hurricanes. As above, the ship will not go anywhere near a hurricane or "system."

Best time--we went to Key West before there ever was a "Western." The idea was to wait to see what the storm was going to do and then keep to as much of our original plan as possible. We missed one of the "saints."

Worst case--storm closed Port Canaveral. We were transported by bus to Ft. Lauderdale and boarded the Magic there; our 7 night cruise became a 4 day cruise. Yes, DCL gave us a partial refund and an OBC...and we could have canceled and gotten all money back.

So, what they will do in your case will depend on exactly what the storm does. They have had cruises of all sea days when they couldn't access ANY ports. They have done alternate ports (we think this is exciting). They have changed the order of ports. It is up to the captain and the storm!

I am guessing they would do all sea days :( Isn't the Dream too big for Key West? I just don't know if logistically we could go anywhere else.... still super bummed :( As a coworker said, you'll still be on vacation and we will all still be here. All about perspective I suppose.

I am guessing they would do all sea days :( Isn't the Dream too big for Key West? I just don't know if logistically we could go anywhere else.... still super bummed :( As a coworker said, you'll still be on vacation and we will all still be here. All about perspective I suppose.

Don't be bummed! If Sandy forces changes, then we will end up with a cruise no one else has had the chance to experience!

And it's gonna be fun no matter what!!

Agreed, it will be fun no matter what. We are leaving the kids at home with Grandma so the quiet will be all the fun I need!

Anyone know if the Dream has ever had all sea days?

one time we sailed out of port canaveral on the wonder doing the 4 day. There was a hurricane heading up the coast thru the bahamas. We sailed down the florida coast and fortunatly we were able to come from behind the hurricane and go to nassau. It wasnt a direct hit on nassau.

Wendy&Grumpy said:
We're on the 10/25 cruise as well and a few from our group have called DCL.

3. Swap when they go to Nassau and Castaway Cay

This happened to us on our double dip cruise. Our Nassau day and sea day was switched. They kept everyone's excursion the same. They stayed out of the way of the storm so we can have a sunny sea day. Our second CC day was raining.

just can't believe the timing of this storm :-( we're on the Oct 25 cruise too, I'm praying they switch ports and we can dock at CC for the most part on Friday, it's further north than Nassau... and then i'd be ok with remaining sea day if we have too, or even a Miami stop, never been there.
safety is always first though =) it's our first cruise ever, not sure i'll ever get my DH on another cruise if we're rained out the whole time popcorn::

just can't believe the timing of this storm :-( we're on the Oct 25 cruise too, I'm praying they switch ports and we can dock at CC for the most part on Friday, it's further north than Nassau... and then i'd be ok with remaining sea day if we have too, or even a Miami stop, never been there.
safety is always first though =) it's our first cruise ever, not sure i'll ever get my DH on another cruise if we're rained out the whole time popcorn::

Sorry, but Fantasy is scheduled for CC on Friday

Sorry, but Fantasy is scheduled for CC on Friday

That may be when she is scheduled to be there.

Switching the Nassau and Castaway Cay days for the Dream is being considered by DCL. One would assume that means DCL would alter the Fantasy's schedule as well.

Only time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter