Tropical Storm Irene

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by WolfpackFan, Aug 21, 2011.

1. WolfpackFan

WolfpackFan Retired and loving every minute of it!!

Terrific. We check into Hilton Head a week from today and looking at the computer models, it would appear to me that Irene will be sitting right over HHI then. If not HH, it will be over where we live in NC. We have really been looking forward to this trip. This has not been a good month for us as my mother passed away last Monday.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. wendydarling826

wendydarling826 <font color=orange>I thought mine was the only cra

We're flying into Orlando Friday. Just when it's supposed to hit Florida. Awesome. I just keep telling myself that it's too early for them to forecast with certainty.

4. iluvtheworld

iluvtheworld Mouseketeer

So sorry for your loss. I hope that the forecast is wrong and that the storm will miss HH and your home. Here are some good vibes for a great vacation! :goodvibes:goodvibes

5. wendydarling826

wendydarling826 <font color=orange>I thought mine was the only cra

I missed the end of your post first time - I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope your family has smooth travel and much rest and relaxation in HH.pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

6. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

So sorry for the loss of your Mom. Hope Irene changes course and goes out to sea.

7. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

I remember one time, when we were at HHI, a long-time CM told me that because of the location of the resort, it doesn't get the strong winds that other parts of the island do in a hurricane. According to her, they don't call it "Shelter" Cove for nothin! So if a hurricane comes, just hunker down in your villa. And as far as the hurricane hitting your home in NC-do what we here in the Gulf do-pray alot!

8. genmasjoy

genmasjoy Mouseketeer

A few years ago, we were at DVC at HH and there was a hurricane warning. The entire island was ordered by local officials to evacuate. We were told we had to leave the resort immediately. We drove through a lot of traffic, and spent the night at a motel off of I-95. The next day we drove up to our next destination, Willimasburg, VA. Shortly after we checked in, the hurricane, which had been downgraded to a storm and had missed HH completely, followed us there. It was one stormy night, and then it was over. Anyway, Disney gave us back the unused points...but I would not suggest you check in at HH if it looks like the storm is coming because you will not be able to stay.

9. Corinne

Corinne DIS Veteran aka DVCTink

So sorry about the loss of your Mom. Sending pixiedust: so that Irene is not in the way!

10. jacesmommy

jacesmommy Mouseketeer

May I first say that I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. :hug:

Secondly, they are SO far off from an accurate prediction right now. You know how these things are prone to last minute changes. And hopefully, at worst, it'll 'ruin' just a day or day and a half of your trip. Sometimes Mother Nature is a huge pain in the butt! :confused:

I'm keepin my fingers crossed that all goes well for you. :banana:

11. LOVETHATMOUSE

LOVETHATMOUSE DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>*~*Some LOVE from

We leave Weds first flight out 6 am for my dd's sweet sixteen trip (dh, myself, dd and 3 friends). I just went online and purchased trip insurance "just in case". Everything is covered in it - including tropical storms and hurricanes. Better safe than sorry.

12. JimMIA

JimMIA A little Miami humor...

I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully your trip will play a good role in the healing process.

It's not time to freak about Irene yet. At this point, the models are very divergent and there's no real telling where this thing is going to go or what's going to happen with it. One fo my favorite models predicts the storm will remain offshore of the East Coast. The other one predicts it will go up the Gulf Coast of Florida. Who knows?

In the latest forecast, they're calling for the storm to speed up a bit (and she's already breezing along at 17 MPH). We were expecting it here in Miami Thurs night/Fri morning, but now it's looking like a Thurs morning event.

Beyond 3 days, the models are notoriously iffy, so I will fearlessly predict that by next Sunday, Irene (if she still exists) will be somewhere between NE of Bermuda and east of New Orleans.

I'm waiting another 24-48 hours before I really form an opinion on what happens with this system.

13. Sandisw

Sandisw Moderator Moderator

Just want to say thoughts and prayers with you and your family as you deal with the loss of your mom. And, I hope that things work out in a way that your trip to HH will be of comfort to you.

14. Spencerfamilynj

Spencerfamilynj Mouseketeer

Sorry for your loss, certainly don't need to be worried about hurricanes at a time like this. We were in HH earlier this month. They were predicting another hurricane at that time and we had family in FL warning us not to go. End result, once it hit the islands, it dissipated and it was a low pressure system. Don't worry and I bet it will be fine. Prayers for you and your family.

15. WDW Enabler

WDW Enabler Founding Father of the HARDHAT BRIGADE

It is a bit too early to worry. I live in north east Florida and wanted to go this weekend, but there were no studios available. I booked for the next weekend which is the "projected" impact of Irene. I wanted to go to the water parks. I'll just have to wait and see.

16. BUDDYBEAR

BUDDYBEAR DIS Veteran

SORRY GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIP :cool1:

17. DizDays

DizDays DVC & D23 Member

So sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a parent. My deepest sympathies.

Sending pixiedust: your way. Don't fret yet. It's way to early to tell. I lived in Miami long enough to know not to believe long term forecasts. You have a little while yet.

Safe travels and magical memories!!

18. buzz5985

buzz5985 DIS Veteran

I am so very sorry for your loss!!

I checked into HHI today, been on vacation for about 10 days already - haven't watched the news - better pay attention and tune in this week before my drive home to MA.

Janis

19. JimMIA

JimMIA A little Miami humor...

Irene became a Hurricane last night, and now looks like it will threaten VB and possibly HHI later this week. I've started a new thread over on the DVC Planning forum and will be posting regular updates over there.

Here's a link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2784808

20. pinkle

pinkle DIS Veteran

Every September we head to Disney and every September I hold my breath as I watch the hurricane sesason start moving in!!!!! Now I will be on the edge of my seat. Thanks to everyone for keep me up with the latest info!

21. RumpleMom

RumpleMom DIS Veteran

To poster who went online to add trip insurance:

Member services told me that you can't add trip insurance to a trip less than 30 days before a trip.