Trips to the Fort back in the 70's and early 80's

DavidLeaphart

Dis Railroad Man
Hi Folks,

I'm writing a new book on the railroads at Walt Disney World. The old Fort Wilderness RR of the 70's is a key chapter. I'm wanting to include memories of staying at the Fort in those years, and maybe even riding the RR! All contributions would be clearly credited!!

David :goodvibes:goodvibes

I'm in the process of going through all my parents old photos of our WDW vacations. We stayed at the fort in the 70s as well as the 80s. I brought my oldest DD to the Fort when she was only 5 mos in 1985 and again in 1988. Fort is my fave WDW resort and hope to return again to bring my youngest two to exp the camping magic :)

Hi Folks,

I'm writing a new book on the railroads at Walt Disney World. The old Fort Wilderness RR of the 70's is a key chapter. I'm wanting to include memories of staying at the Fort in those years, and maybe even riding the RR! All contributions would be clearly credited!!

David :goodvibes:goodvibes

I've gathered quite a bit of info via the internet so I'm sure you have all that I have. I have one photo I had taken in the mid 70's that you are welcomed to. Will track it down, no pun intended, and post it shortly.

Did you know that the owner of Engine #4 posted here not too long ago? He's still trying to restore the engine to it's old glory after years of neglect at the hands of WDW. Also, I believe he is the one who designed the logo used on the water tower at the Fort Wilderness pool.

The folks at Carolwood were very pleasant to deal with also. The best view of the train is the video on Youtube. I'd forgotten how close to campsites and the Meadows Trading Post the train came to. True lack of planning from day one to the final day. Very sad. The saddest picture I found was the engines and cars sitting out in the open with deteriorating tarps covering some parts, but most exposed to the elements. Walt would have cried if he had seen that.

I believe one of the posters here knows some of the engineers from the Fort Wilderness train. Perhaps she will see your thread and be able to help out.
I can't help but think there is quite a few photos and video still out there waiting to be rediscovered.

The very best of luck in you endeavor. :thumbsup2

My uncle does have an album and I will be getting it soon. I will get you the pictures asap.

Hi Folks,

Thanks to all three of you for checking on your old Fort Wilderness photos. The photos would surely add to the Fort Wilderness story in the book!!

David

Well, here is my one and only picture I took of the Fort Wilderness Train. It was take in 1974.

Forttrainpicmine3.jpg

Too bad I can't project the memories of riding the train around the campgrounds after a hot, long and busy day at MK. (Back then, it was the only park open). It was soooooo relaxing with the fresh, cool air blowing through the cars. It was wonderful.

Good luck with your project.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter