Tripod for WDW

caa1277

American by birth............Grumpy by choice!
So I'm looking to replace a broken tripod that I have had for years. I'd like to get one that can sturdily (not sure if that's a real word, but I like it :thumbsup2) a DSLR but is also compact enough to carry comfortably into the parks, preferably in a backpack. Anyone have any tripod recommendations?

One recommendation I would make is to get one that fits in the lockers at WDW so you don't have to carry it all day. The small lockers are 11" x 9" x 16" so the maximum diagonal is 21.4".

I use the Cullmann Magic 4. With the ballhead detached its slightly less than 13". What I like the best is that if folds flat and converts to a monopod. For travel its very versatile. Here it is mounted on the side of my backpack (I take it everywhere, weighs less than 3#'s)

I 2nd the Cullmann. I have the Magic II. It's light, can be easily carried around the parks on a backpack all day. BUT, 1) it is short! I think it is like 55 or 56 inches so, & 2) it isn't overly sturdy. So, if you forget your remote shutter trigger like I did being the knucklehead that I am, you will end up capturing 40 or 50 brilliant firework bursts with a blurry castle that is half blocked by the heads of those standing right in front of you and an occasional mickey-head balloon that kept creeping in somehow. :sad:

I 2nd the Cullmann. I have the Magic II. It's light, can be easily carried around the parks on a backpack all day. BUT, 1) it is short! I think it is like 55 or 56 inches so, & 2) it isn't overly sturdy. So, if you forget your remote shutter trigger like I did being the knucklehead that I am, you will end up capturing 40 or 50 brilliant firework bursts with a blurry castle that is half blocked by the heads of those standing right in front of you and an occasional mickey-head balloon that kept creeping in somehow. :sad:

That is one of the issues of a travel tripod. Being lightweight for travel can be a problem, however I found a solution with Cullmann. Because of its design I can easily hang my bag and it becomes very stable.

IMGP0300 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

That is one of the issues of a travel tripod. Being lightweight for travel can be a problem, however I found a solution with Cullmann. Because of its design I can easily hang my bag and it becomes very stable.

IMGP0300 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Nice! Normally I do the same. Unfortunately that particular evening in the park we had already drank all of our water and I had left my usual extras (camcorder, external flash, lenses, etc) in the room because we only entered the park to eat and see Wishes. I probably would have been fine even without the shutter release, had Main Street not been mobbed with the much dreaded Brazilian Tour Groups which forced me to position myself so as to block the tripod from all contact as opposed to a more relaxed posse. But I completely agree that, with a little added weight, the Cullmann is the perfect travel solution. And, at least for me, much easier than lugging my tank - an old Kenlock 2000 - into the parks! :thumbsup2

I'd love to find something that was easily transportable and also can convert into a monopod. The cullman looks like something I could use, but is quite a bit expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter