Trip to DL - full week in Anaheim or 1 night/2 days in San Diego?

mhingher

DIS Veteran
Our vacation is from 8/27-9/3 and I'm registered for the 5k on 9/2. Our only plan is to get 3 day hoppers for 8/28-8/30. We were originally going to spend the 2nd half of the trip in San Diego, but I really wanted to do the 5k.

- If we spend the whole week in Anaheim, what are some day trips we can take on our non-Disney days? Our group consists of myself, my husband, and 2 girls (ages 6 and 9). Right now I have reservations (can be canceled up until 2 days before) for the week at the Camelot, Tropicana, Best Western Stovalls and Desert Palms. Many people on these boards and Trip Advisor suggest Best Western Park Place Inn. It's not available for the whole week, but I can stay there for the first 4 nights.

- Should we spend a night (2 days) in San Diego after our 3 days in the parks and then come back to Anaheim for the 5k? If so, any suggestions on what to do and where to stay in San Diego?

Thanks for your suggestions!

San Diego is beautiful, la Jolla cove is nice, the zoo and the animal park are fun, Scripps aquarium is cool, sea world is fun, the mission area is really neat, etc...
Lots of nice hotels in San Diego, you shouldn't have trouble finding a nice one

We did a day trip out of Anaheim to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park last summer. It was about a 90 min drive there, might have been longer I think because there was morning traffic, and about 90 min back. I believe it's a bit longer to San Diego depending on traffic, but it's been a long time since I've done that drive. (San Diego Zoo Safari Park is actually in Escondido, about 40 min northwest of San Diego according to the map I'm looking at.)

I agree with @EllinK on San Diego things, those are some of our favorites as well. FYI the Zoo Safari Park is very different from the San Diego Zoo, we love them both.

Are your dates set in stone for DLR? I ask because the easiest solution for you is to spend those first couple nights in San Diego doing anything there that you want to hit and then head to Anaheim.

Whether you should "base" in Anaheim so to speak depends on how you feel about doing that drive 4 times (assuming you have 2 days worth of San Diego items in mind).

Alternative: have you looked at Knotts Berry Farm? Last time we went to DL we based in Anaheim and did a day trip down to the Zoo Safari Park and the next day we went to Knotts (north of Anaheim, 15-20 min drive) in addition to our time at DL. (It was a big trip for us!) Honestly, one day trip Anaheim-San Diego was enough for us. I would not have wanted to do it twice. Knotts was much easier!

So, if you are committed to your dates and your itinerary then yes, I would spend that night down in San Diego but if you're more flexible here are some other options to consider! I hope you have fun with the trip and the 5k!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter