Trip Report ABD Dis-Exclusive Southern California Dec 13-18, 2015

Epilogue!
This was a wonderful trip, and we are so looking forward to seeing Disneyland in California on our own again very soon... but not before we go back to Disney World first!

As far as Adventures by Disney.... I never want to travel any other way! Almost every need, every desire, every want was anticipated and taken care of with little to no effort on our part... all Disney magic. We are planning our next adventure, and it will 100% be with ABD.

Heres a picture of all the loot we brought home courtesy of ABD...

112 - 1.jpg

And here is a closeup of the lanyard with all the pins we collected from our guides on this trip!

113 - 1.jpg

A few observations about our Disneyland vs Disneyworld experience to close out ...

OMG, I didn't realize how much we would miss Magic Bands and Fast Pass plus... if I had any doubt about the new systems in place in Florida, they are laid to rest now and I bow down to the technology. We really did not like returning to past system of room key cards, paper tickets to enter the park, and the old fast pass system.

I was paranoid the whole time that I would lose our paper "4 day park hopper" tickets, especially since you had to take them out to not only get in the park, but to get your fast passes... and then you have multiple pieces of paper to keep up with and hopefully not lose....

On the last day we never did use our TTT fast pass as I didn't want to walk all the back to that side of the park to use them... If we had been in Florida, I would have just used My Disney Experience on my phone to set up the TTT fast passes at the right time, and we would have just ridden it when we walked by... and we probably would have ridden Soarin' again or another ride, but as we had such a small amount of time on the last day, we didn't want to wait 20-30 minutes in line or take the time to go back and forth in the park to utilize the old fashioned FP.

The hotel room key was also inconvenient after having used the Magic Band in Florida- it was just one more thing to keep up with that is eliminated with the magicband.

I think Florida does such a better job of managing crowds... at Disneyland the walkways are already narrow, and then they bring out all these ropes and crisscross areas to effectively "herd" the crowds, that it makes it super hard to get where you are going! At one point we entered Tomorrowland from the Matterhorn end to try to get to Star Tours, but they had roped off the entire center area so you couldn't cross and we had to walk all the way to the main hub by the castle before we could turn around on the other side (and even there they had more ropes and we had to beg a cast member to please let us just run through because we were getting so far away!)

Food... while we had some good meals here, we sorely missed the food and restaurant choices of Florida- we are not really fans of quick service, and there just weren't the choices here, and what there was, was pretty much booked leaving few alternatives.

Now, Disneyland does shine over Disneyworld in several areas...
The nostalgia factor of course... DL will always be the only park that Walt walked in and what makes it super special. I love that DL holds on to some of the "not quite PC" rides like Mr Toad... and it was superfun to ride the Nemos submarines even though I know the ride has some shortcomings that forced it to be closed in the MK.

The character interactions are hands down 100% better in DL... these characters are just above and beyond amazing and WDW should take notice and try to learn from this.

The cast members in DL obviously are passionate about the Disney brand and protect it and hold themselves to a certain standard. Most every castmember we met was super friendly and very knowledgable, and if they couldn't help you, they would find someone who could. Very different from the prototypical transient college program cast members you frequently encounter in WDW.

The convenience... everything was so close that a quick walk got you anywhere and you never have leave the magic...

So many fewer ECV's in California! The ones we did see were few and far between, a far cry from Florida.

I'm sure I could go on and on... but thats enough for now! Each park has its highs and lows, and one can argue for and against... but what I am left with is the fact that I love the Disney offerings on both coasts...they remind me of siblings .... they are different and the same at once... but they are all part of the same family.

Until our next adventure.... Thanks for following along!

114 - 1.jpg 115 - 1.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to write this report. The trip looks amazing. Now I just have to talk my husband into booking it !

Thank you for your excellent report. Maybe some of the CM's in DL are trying to be the next Robin Williams? Happy travels and look forward to your next Adventure.

Hello from England!
Loved your trip report, it really brought back some great memories and made me want to do it all over again!
Hope I get to see you both in a Disney park again some day
Linda xx

We did the trip with the DIS in 2013. Sounds like it is very similar...and still amazing. We had Craig on our trip - as well as Dustin, Pete and Shawn - but he was with his "bros" and he seemed very quiet and hardly talked - I guess his wife brings out the charm in him.

We will be heading back to DL next week for the first time SINCE the BSM tour - it will be a very different experience, that's for sure!

Edit: We will be curious to see what the crowds are like mid-week in February.

Last edited:
Great report! I do feel like I have to say that you were at Disneyland during the 2 weeks prior to Christmas, so that's most likely why the crowds were so bad on the weekdays. In 2014, I did Disneyland on weekdays in early November, and it totally wasn't crowded at all. (Well, except for Radiator Springs Racer. It hadn't been opened that long.) Disneyland is pretty much always crowded on the weekends, though.

Sayhello

That is a shame you didn't get any canoe pictures. Did you want ones kind of like these?

Wish we'd got one with everyone visible in the canoe, but what are you gonna do.

I just now found your report, wish I would have seen it sooner. It certainly brightened up my work day. Very interesting to see how different groups had different experiences on the same trip. I've started my trip report, but its a dual trip report with my wdw December disapalooza weekend trip and I'm kind of wishing that I could just get to the abd part.

That is a shame you didn't get any canoe pictures. Did you want ones kind of like these?

Wish we'd got one with everyone visible in the canoe, but what are you gonna do.

I just now found your report, wish I would have seen it sooner. It certainly brightened up my work day. Very interesting to see how different groups had different experiences on the same trip. I've started my trip report, but its a dual trip report with my wdw December disapalooza weekend trip and I'm kind of wishing that I could just get to the abd part.

Those pictures are great! Thanks for sharing it! Im going to find your trip report now and stalk it! Miss everyone already, but we are talking about a reunion in Aulani in Sept 2017 on Facebook!

Those pictures are great! Thanks for sharing it! Im going to find your trip report now and stalk it! Miss everyone already, but we are talking about a reunion in Aulani in Sept 2017 on Facebook!

Your report really made me miss everyone :( I think we might be meeting up with Lori and David at wdw for the run Disney races. I'd tag them but I don't know their disboards names.

That's funny you guys are talking about Hawaii. We were thinking of it but maybe for February (I read that is the cheapest time for Hawaii). Not a bad place to celebrate valentines day.

We have another DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic Adventure traveling 10/23 - 10/28/16.

This is the chance to see DL dressed for Halloween!!

There is space available.

Kevin@DreamsUNlimitedTravel.com

If this October trip happens in 2017 Brian and I are definitely going.

This quote is from your Plaza breakfast. We've been less than impressed with the breakfast at the Plaza. Found it was pretty much tasteless and by the time you got to eat (with the characters coming by often) it was cold food too. Hopefully they will improve this or move that breakfast to another venue.

Despite my comment above about the Plaza food for breakfast, we've always enjoyed lunch at the Plaza. Fried chicken especially!

We had breakfast buffet there and the food was good and the character interactions were great...it was buffet so you did not wait, just go up and get your food...it was one of the biggest highlights of the trip for my hubby! The characters spent time with just our group, and do not have to run off to give time with other guests..it was fantastic!

This was SO much fun to read! Thank you for sharing! This trip is a must-do for us at some point, hopefully soon.

We did our BSM this past July and I too found the crowds heavy at DL. Maybe b/c 60th anniversay etc. I feel that the RIDE THEMES are better in DL by a long shot but the land theming is so much better in WDW. Stuff so packed together, crowds etc at DL. We are thinking of returning next summer but WDW my preferred park for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter