Trip planned for the fall and worried about the school situation

I'd be much more worried if I had a child entering Grade 12 & preparing for university or college. I also suspect job action in the Fall. I don't think anyone knows when it will start. If you managed to snag one of those hard to get Free Dining packages in November, then I would go with the elementary school aged kids & enjoy. Free Fall Dining may be a thing of the past & this could be the last hurrah. It will also likely be a very bumpy year for parents. ps if possible, I would let their teachers know about your travel dates & plans as soon as September classes begin. That way, they may be able to check their lesson plans & let you know where they expect the class to be for your November travel dates. Again, that's not a sure thing but giving their teachers an early heads up at least allows for the possibility. Enjoy your trip!

We always take our son out of school for vacation, and have never had issues with our school or his teachers. He missed 12 days in grade 2 (two vacations - one October, one April - and that was because he had a great teacher); 3 days in grade 3 (didn't want him missing too much because of the testing); 6 days in grade 4; and next year he'll miss 6 days in September for WDW and 4, possibly 5, days in May for our DCL cruise. I'm actually hoping they're on strike in September so I feel less guilty for taking him out...lol. I look at it this way - if the teachers and board were so concerned with my sons education, there wouldn't be a strike to begin with. So, if they're not concerned - neither am I.

I look at it this way - if the teachers and board were so concerned with my sons education, there wouldn't be a strike to begin with. So, if they're not concerned - neither am I.

Trust me, that has crossed my mind as well.

Could you home school your kids starting on the originally scheduled first day of school if a strike causes the public schools not to open on time?

You would extrapolate (guess) what material they would start with, or you could ask parents of older childrren for a rough idea of what your kids' current grade levels started with.

Although you won't match all of the material and perhaps miss a book or two (e.g. you selected Tom Sawyer for one of your kids but the teacher ultimately assigns Huckleberry Finn), you should cover most of it.

This will make it easier for your kids to get ahead of the class so that missing the days in November won't result in too big a workload for catching up.

I'm actually hoping they're on strike in September so I feel less guilty for taking him out...lol. I look at it this way - if the teachers and board were so concerned with my sons education, there wouldn't be a strike to begin with. So, if they're not concerned - neither am I.

Trust me, that has crossed my mind as well.

As a teacher who always supports family trips (and I happily take the time to get together any package that the parents/students want for the time that they are away- something that I don't have to do by the way), I take offense to the above comments. I am concerned about my students and their education. This September (I hope I'm in my classroom) I will do my best to educate the 33 ten year old students that are going to be under my care! I am not trying to start an argument or debate, but I love my job and the children in my care, and I'd rather not have people say I'm not concerned about the education of their child. I would rather see this thread stay on topic please:-) Maybe you didn't mean for it to come off this way?
OP- FWIW, I say go for your trip! Enjoy the time with your children as they grow up so quickly.

As a teacher who always supports family trips (and I happily take the time to get together any package that the parents/students want for the time that they are away- something that I don't have to do by the way), I take offense to the above comments. I am concerned about my students and their education. This September (I hope I'm in my classroom) I will do my best to educate the 33 ten year old students that are going to be under my care! I am not trying to start an argument or debate, but I love my job and the children in my care, and I'd rather not have people say I'm not concerned about the education of their child. I would rather see this thread stay on topic please:-) Maybe you didn't mean for it to come off this way?
OP- FWIW, I say go for your trip! Enjoy the time with your children as they grow up so quickly.
I would think most teachers would feel the same and am very appreciative of the teachers who go out of their way to assist in helping however they can when a student is going on vacation. I also worry about taking my grandchildren out of school during the school year but I also believe in showing them the possibilities of travel and opening their eyes to different cultures, and as well as quality time spent with loved ones those memories last a lifetime!

I also believe in showing them the possibilities of travel and opening their eyes to different cultures, and as well as quality time spent with loved ones those memories last a lifetime!

I totally agree with this! My dad comes with us on almost every trip (Disney and others) and my children think he is the coolest grandpa ever (he goes on TOT with them). These memories will last a lifetime for my children. What a lovely thought boundfordisney:-)

Sorry to go OT a little here, but as a teacher (and an aunt, no children of my own yet), 33 children are WAY too many in a classroom. That's where I have issues! We want our students to do well, but they cannot get the attention that they need if there are 33. Good luck, and I know you'll do your best!

Sorry to go OT a little here, but as a teacher (and an aunt, no children of my own yet), 33 children are WAY too many in a classroom. That's where I have issues! We want our students to do well, but they cannot get the attention that they need if there are 33. Good luck, and I know you'll do your best!

I think this depends on the teacher. When I was in elementary school (the same school my son now goes to), I had 33 or 34 kids in my class every year until I graduated. My son now has 18 kids in his class. Each grade has a split class because there aren't enough kids to fill two classes per grade. He has three teachers - one French, one Resource Room for English and Math, and his home room teacher for everything else - he's in grade 4, by the way. I very much appreciate the great teachers he has, and those teachers that put 110% into their job. But, I will say, his home room teacher couldn't have given a crap about my son this year. She did nothing to make his year easy, or help him to succeed. She did the bare minimum required of her. Every day at school was torture for him, to the point he had almost daily headaches from stress. Those teachers are the ones I'm talking about.

I think this depends on the teacher. When I was in elementary school (the same school my son now goes to), I had 33 or 34 kids in my class every year until I graduated. My son now has 18 kids in his class. Each grade has a split class because there aren't enough kids to fill two classes per grade. He has three teachers - one French, one Resource Room for English and Math, and his home room teacher for everything else - he's in grade 4, by the way. I very much appreciate the great teachers he has, and those teachers that put 110% into their job. But, I will say, his home room teacher couldn't have given a crap about my son this year. She did nothing to make his year easy, or help him to succeed. She did the bare minimum required of her. Every day at school was torture for him, to the point he had almost daily headaches from stress. Those teachers are the ones I'm talking about.

Oh there are "teachers" that shouldn't be teachers for sure! Or are burnt out and need to change. Children have changed a lot even since I went to school. Now everything is supposed to be individualized or done in small groups. Very little large group instructions. Add French Immersion into the mix, and you've got two languages to do that in, and it gets extremely hard to get to all the children. Plus all the other needs... not easy. But I'm sorry your son had one of those teachers that really need to change careers. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't care, find something else. It's not like you can do it "for the money". You are affecting children! Grr....

We took our kids out when they were in elementary grades but once the oldest got to high school we adjusted when we went. I didn't feel good about taking her out for along period as she would get to far behind and who wants to take home work to Orlando? Besides that I belive here in Saskatchewan....or maybe just Regina high schools but I don't think we can take them out of school for more than a few days. Any how we now go mid to late August and that works well as it's a bit slower at the parks. Not sure one can do much about a strike except hope that they reach a deal as strikes hurt everyone.

Hmm trying to bite my tongue, but cant. If all these teachers say they care, and they all do, then lets see you strike in the summer, get the picket lines out, picket during march break or christmas break. No never dont want to take away from your 3 months down time. Start having your PD days on the breaks too, funny how they are always on the long weekends, or this year includes the last 2 days of school, why bother. You didnt want to get off topic, but you have. And FYI my whole family are teachers and I tell them this every year. If all the teachers thought this way, then they could boot their union but they dont want to see how it affects the working families out there.
This is why I never have a problem taking my kids out for any type of trip, they learn so much more hands on. My 6yr old knows how to control money by seeing how far her money goes with what she can buy at DTD. She knows to add in the tax and accounts for it when making her mind up on what is good value. Stuff you cant teach in class. The level and care has dropped so much in the last decade it is scary what the next generation is going to be doing.

OP just by asking you are showing that your the type of parent that does care. Take the vacation and learn to sneak education in at the same time. Then you can sit back with a glass of wine and smile that your kids are having a great time, and that they are learning real life lessons too. Enjoy.

Hmm trying to bite my tongue, but cant. If all these teachers say they care, and they all do, then lets see you strike in the summer, get the picket lines out, picket during march break or christmas break. No never dont want to take away from your 3 months down time. Start having your PD days on the breaks too, funny how they are always on the long weekends, or this year includes the last 2 days of school, why bother. You didnt want to get off topic, but you have. And FYI my whole family are teachers and I tell them this every year. If all the teachers thought this way, then they could boot their union but they dont want to see how it affects the working families out there.
This is why I never have a problem taking my kids out for any type of trip, they learn so much more hands on. My 6yr old knows how to control money by seeing how far her money goes with what she can buy at DTD. She knows to add in the tax and accounts for it when making her mind up on what is good value. Stuff you cant teach in class. The level and care has dropped so much in the last decade it is scary what the next generation is going to be doing.

OP just by asking you are showing that your the type of parent that does care. Take the vacation and learn to sneak education in at the same time. Then you can sit back with a glass of wine and smile that your kids are having a great time, and that they are learning real life lessons too. Enjoy.

Hi mort1331. Everyone is welcome to their opinion.

My post was simply two-fold:
1- to respond to PP that I (like most teachers) do have concern / care for students.
2- to respond to OP, stating that I have always supported parents taking their children out of school to travel.

I still love my job and will continue to help support parents who take their children out of school to travel.

So sad to see this post turn the way it has. It was looking so promising. I have debated if I was going to respond or 'let it go' as I really didn't want to get into this. I'm sorry you were offended by the post I replied to. My interpretation of alc571's post was more of a general sense about the system. I think you can agree that the system isn't perfect. I also don't think there was a problem with the post. It provided an insight as to why I shouldn't be so worried if the system doesn't always have the best interest of the students. And honestly, it had crossed my mind. I didn't view it as a direct attack on teachers.

I realize teachers do not need to accommodate my request in asking for the homework ahead of time. I appreciate the effort they put in and view my role as a collaborator with my kids' teachers. I spend a lot of time over summer continuing to 'school' my children so everything stays fresh or they at least haven't forgotten as much and hopefully have learned a bit more.

While their teacher doesn't need to gather their homework because we've chosen to vacation during school time, I know I do my share to assist my children's teachers in various ways. Spending 2 hours each week for 2 of my 3 boys in the dead of winter to help tie up skates and helmets at the outdoor skating rink from January to March in Ottawa was not something I needed to do either. Nor did I have to volunteer on my Sunday to prep my kinder's Christmas play props or spend 2 mornings helping my grade 2's class make gingerbread houses or the field trips that I volunteered for. It goes on and on. Like I said, I appreciate my children's teachers and I work with them.

But no matter how much time I spend over the summer with reading, writing, math, sciences Etc., if there is a delayed strike. I will feel guilty about taking them out but we will still go.

I truly hope I haven't offended you.

So sad to see this post turn the way it has. It was looking so promising. I have debated if I was going to respond or 'let it go' as I really didn't want to get into this. I'm sorry you were offended by the post I replied to. My interpretation of alc571's post was more of a general sense about the system. I think you can agree that the system isn't perfect. I also don't think there was a problem with the post. It provided an insight as to why I shouldn't be so worried if the system doesn't always have the best interest of the students. And honestly, it had crossed my mind. I didn't view it as a direct attack on teachers.

I realize teachers do not need to accommodate my request in asking for the homework ahead of time. I appreciate the effort they put in and view my role as a collaborator with my kids' teachers. I spend a lot of time over summer continuing to 'school' my children so everything stays fresh or they at least haven't forgotten as much and hopefully have learned a bit more.

While their teacher doesn't need to gather their homework because we've chosen to vacation during school time, I know I do my share to assist my children's teachers in various ways. Spending 2 hours each week for 2 of my 3 boys in the dead of winter to help tie up skates and helmets at the outdoor skating rink from January to March in Ottawa was not something I needed to do either. Nor did I have to volunteer on my Sunday to prep my kinder's Christmas play props or spend 2 mornings helping my grade 2's class make gingerbread houses or the field trips that I volunteered for. It goes on and on. Like I said, I appreciate my children's teachers and I work with them.

But no matter how much time I spend over the summer with reading, writing, math, sciences Etc., if there is a delayed strike. I will feel guilty about taking them out but we will still go.

I truly hope I haven't offended you.

Hi thr33boys. I am happy that you have replied. As I said in my original post "Maybe you didn't mean for it to come off this way?" and I am glad that was not your intent of post #23. Tone can be difficult to interpret in a post and I took the alc571 comment "So, if they're [board and teachers] not concerned - neither am I" that you quoted in a negative way - again, glad that was not your intent.
You sound like a parent I would love to work with in my classroom. I am blessed every year with many supportive and helpful parents. Students are most successful when there is communication between home/school and you obviously make sure that happens. Of course I can't help out in the classrooms of my own children but maybe one day when I'm retired I will help in the classrooms of my grandchildren :-)
Absolutely, I agree that the system isn't perfect (can't think of any system that is perfect), but I believe that many teachers go above and beyond to enrich the lives of their students with those things you mentioned such as class trips, Christmas Plays, baking and so on.
Again I will say with complete sincerity, have a great trip and don't feel guilty. We go in August (have tried Disney at Christmas and March Break, but way too busy for us) and it's hot. If I could I think I would go in either Oct/Nov/Jan to get lowest crowds and better temps. I totally understand why you would travel during the school year - have fun, enjoy time with your children and don't feel guilty:-)

Back to the original post, we also look for ways to incorporate school into our trip or to help our teachers with fun stuff when we get home. We collected a stack of French maps from all the parks we could, and gave them to our son's French teacher when we came back. She loved it. She let the kids share, and they all hunted for things in French on the maps. She put them up on the wall in her room and even used them with the older kids. My son felt great too - he struggles with reading - and because he'd been to the parks so many times he found it easy to find things in French because he knew where they were in English.

I hope no one was offended by my comment about me not caring because they don't care. I wasn't speaking of all teachers. It was more of a general comment - and more to do with the Board and unions. (Ok... and the occasional teacher who should be a teacher - but those are the minority).

Hi thr33boys. I am happy that you have replied. As I said in my original post "Maybe you didn't mean for it to come off this way?" and I am glad that was not your intent of post #23. Tone can be difficult to interpret in a post and I took the alc571 comment "So, if they're [board and teachers] not concerned - neither am I" that you quoted in a negative way - again, glad that was not your intent.
You sound like a parent I would love to work with in my classroom. I am blessed every year with many supportive and helpful parents. Students are most successful when there is communication between home/school and you obviously make sure that happens. Of course I can't help out in the classrooms of my own children but maybe one day when I'm retired I will help in the classrooms of my grandchildren :-)
Absolutely, I agree that the system isn't perfect (can't think of any system that is perfect), but I believe that many teachers go above and beyond to enrich the lives of their students with those things you mentioned such as class trips, Christmas Plays, baking and so on.
Again I will say with complete sincerity, have a great trip and don't feel guilty. We go in August (have tried Disney at Christmas and March Break, but way too busy for us) and it's hot. If I could I think I would go in either Oct/Nov/Jan to get lowest crowds and better temps. I totally understand why you would travel during the school year - have fun, enjoy time with your children and don't feel guilty:-)

Yes, I understand tone is hard to read in posts which can be very unfortunate. I'm glad we've worked this out. I feel better now. I hated thinking I had upset someone as I'm not that type of person. On a side note, while I was able to spend a lot of time with my kids this year in the classroom, it's only because I decided to take a year off without pay. I felt I was missing out on too much and it was the right thing to do for my family. When I can't help in the classroom, I do what I can after school hours - make playdoh for the kinder class or other occasional tasks that a teacher may need help with. They know they can ask me and I'll do what I can. I can never say no. My kids go to a great school, with a great administration and I am so happy about that. I have no doubt that there are teachers that go above and beyond. We've been fortunate to have a few superstars. I'm sure your students and especially the parents of your students are appreciative of you more than you realize. Thanks for the well wishes. We plan to have a fantastic time :)

Can you ever tell this is a Canadian thread LOL :-) I thought it might turn nasty some posts ago and was just waiting for it to be locked. But then it went all nice & understanding again :D And no one even posted the "popcorn" icon. :joker:

True Canadians! :grouphug:

Happy Canada Day fellow Dis'ers!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter