Trip insurance?

d-man's mom

Mouseketeer
I wanted to buy my tickets for the park from an outside vendor.

However, my travel agent said that if I don't wrap them in with the hotel room, then it's not considered a package (correct??) and, I can't include trip cancelation insurance.

What do you do? Do you purchase trip insurance through a separate company, or package the tickets in with your hotel so that you can get the trip insurance? I don't want to pay more for park admission just so I can have insurance.

Thanks!

Do you have airfare in your package? Otherwise your package cosists of a hotel room, right? If so review the cancelation policy and see if you even need the insurance.

It's been a while since we did a package, but I know we passed on the insurance at that time. It was over $150 (2 room packages) and the benefits didn't seem that great.

You need to buy the MYW tickets with your room if you want a package that includes meals.

If you're not buying a package you probably don't need trip insurance. Look at the components:

1) Room: 5 day cancellation terms but Disney will probably work with you for a documented emergency

2) Tickets: Can always use for a later trip or sell them.

3) Ground Transportation: Rental cars generally don't have a penalty. Mears and ME won't have a penalty. Most towncars require 24 hour notice.

4) Airlines: Varies. Almost all will let you rebook your flight with a change fee. SW has no change fee, they'll give you a year to use your credit.

If you have an expensive, overseas for example, flight and if you need a refund as opposed to a credit for future travel you might look at trip insurance.

Trip insurance can always be purchased from an independant agecy. Lok at insuremytrip.com. But, insurance wouldn't pay on the tickets you bought because you will not have lost any money on them....they can be used at a later time. Booking room only, the most you would lose would be the first night's rate; the amount you paid toward deposit. That isn't likely going to break the bank if you cancel the trip.

I agree with the others: You probably don't need trip insurance unless it's for airline tickets. You can literally call the hotel the day before and cancel your reservation without penalty.

It sounds like your TA is trying to get a bigger commission.

I'll take this opportunity to remind folks that trip insurance covers not only cancellation but interruption as well. If something happens and you have to cut your trip short (illness, death in the family etc) then your insurance will cover the cost of changing your ticket home to another date and reimburse you for any prepaid expenses you don't use (in case you've used 5 or 7 days on your park hopper and didn't purchase the no-expiration option). It will also cover you in case your trip needs to be extended due to unforseen circumstances - folks who were caught in the fall hurricanes and had insurance had their hotel and meals covered.

You can certainly use separate insurance for the tickets, or you can use other insurance to cover all the arrangements - you don't need to go through Disney's insurance.

And just a reminder for folks who are travelling with Frequent flyer tickets and think they don't need/can't get insurance because they haven't "paid" for the tickets - the interruption benefit is still applicable even if the tickets were free.

Went through AAA last year with our package, no air fare, and no trip insurance. Wasn't about to pay what they wanted for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter