Trip #8; But Was It Great? A WDW MAYcation with a side of LegoLand & Celebration, FL!

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by Momof2Disneyboys, May 15, 2012.

1. Momof2Disneyboys

Momof2Disneyboys DIS Veteran

Okay, so moving on....

We had a 5:30 dinner reservation at the Garden Grove at the Swan. We don't do the DDP anymore, so we had been wanting to try out one of the Swan or Dolphin restaurants for awhile.

So we got ready and headed over. It's probably about a 10 minute walk from the BC.

We walked by the YC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the week we noticed several 'functions' going on outside the YC/BC. Lots of tables and breakfasts and dinners set up.

[​IMG]

There was also some kind of maintenance going on in front of the YC all week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we finally made it to the Swan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got checked in at the Garden Grove and we were seated in a few minutes. The restaurant wasn't busy at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty neat looking place! :goodvibes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we didn't even know there would be characters there! Their menu on AllEars says characters at breakfast, but nothing about them at dinner time. Pluto & Goofy were there! That was a nice surprise! :cool1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued in next post.....

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Momof2Disneyboys

Continued.....

It is a buffet, but they bring salad to your table. DH and I took some, but the kids declined! DH took a few bites of his and said – you are not going to like this, it has bacon! :scared1: I looked and looked and couldn't find any bacon, so I took a bite and sure enough it was there. But it was a bacon flavored dressing, that's why I couldn't find any bacon. It was gross! :sick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next it was up to the buffet!

The kids' section first of course. Lots of goodies there! ::yes::

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was onto the adult section. Lots of selection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued in next post.....

4. Momof2Disneyboys

Continued.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Garden Grove has different buffets depending on the night of the week. Sunday night was southern barbecue. Everything was very good. Some of my favorites were the BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, and the baked mac& cheese!

I had noted DS's birthday on this ADR, but wasn't sure they would do anything special. We were nearing the end of the meal and I was pretty sure they weren't doing anything, but then they were headed towards us with a little dessert tray and Pluto! They all sang Happy Birthday to him and gave him the special dessert tray. He of course didn't like the dessert but he was thrilled for the attention!

I loved his dessert – it was pineapple flavored! :cloud9:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the first time we ate at the Garden Grove and we really enjoyed it. It is a very nice place, especially for a buffet. Jodi – if you were ever going to do a buffet I would highly recommend this one for you!! Very neat and clean and not crowded or gross!! :rotfl:

Total Bill: $93.68
    Rating: 8 out of 10

Up next: Swan, Dolphin, and the Boardwalk!

5. PEANUT1

PEANUT1 You can Fly!

So glad you liked the Garden Grove...we tried it on our last trip and loved it:thumbsup2

We did the Friday night Seafood buffet and it was amazing. They have restaurant.com gift certificates that you can get so we got a 25$ one for 1$. The character interaction is the best on property. We saw goofy, pluto, chip and dale and they saw our girls so many times they even were playing with them at the buffet. The place was empty too. I try to tell everyone about this place because we loved it so much.

6. JoBird

JoBird <font color=7570ff>Proud Charter Member of the Tag

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

You know me so well!! I was scrolling thru those pictures thinking- Wow- it's not crowded at all and it looks pretty clean, I might could handle that buffet!:rotfl2:

Sorry the salad had bacon flavoring. :eek: Good thing your DH took that first bite to warn you b/c you would not have been happy! I don't think I'd like it either b/c it looks like egg on it too...:sick: blech.

Other than that-- it all looked really good.

And how cute the Pluto pics were! The one with them all singing happy Birthday to DS13 and DS10 next to him and that face he was making---- he made me laugh out loud! Really loud!!!!:rotfl: Just knowing his personality and then your older son's... that pic was priceless.

What a great update-- I really enjoyed it and now I'm gonna have to look into *maybe* thinking about it for December.... :rolleyes1

7. Momof2Disneyboys

I didn't think I knew anyone who had been there!! Glad you enjoyed it too. It really is a little hidden gem. :goodvibes

I bet they would have an amazing seafood buffet. If only I liked seafood!! That is a great deal you got on the gift card!! :cool1:

I think you could totally handle that place. Go early and you might be the only ones there!! We felt like we had the place to ourselves.

Yeah, the salad was nasty. But it was okay since everything else was so good! :goodvibes

I know, isn't that picture hilarious?!! :lmao:

8. Lovemy3babes

Lovemy3babes DIS Veteran

Your room at the BC was gross. I cannot believe a deluxe room was that dirty Shelly. Yuck. I also am not a fan of busy pool areas so I wouldn't have enjoyed that either. Too bad.

Garden Grove looks fantastic! I haven't read much about it at all but wow! Nice! :goodvibes

9. Momof2Disneyboys

Yeah, it was pretty bad. :confused3 Not sure what happened there or how it got overlooked for so long...

The Garden Grove was great! I'm so glad we tried it! :goodvibes

10. lala3291

lala3291 DIS Veteran

Garden Grove looks great! Honestly, I have never even thought to try a meal there. The next time we stay in the Epcot area, I am definitely going to put that on my ADR list!:thumbsup2 I'm not a huge fan of buffets, but we usually do Chef Mickey's for the kids! However, this buffet looks so much cleaner and less busy!

BTW...I upgraded to CL for our Poly stay!:cool1: Can't wait!!

11. Momof2Disneyboys

I highly recommend it! :thumbsup2 It's a much more relaxed character meal than Chef Mickey's. Although I love Chef Mickey's too!

Congrats on the upgrade! That is aweome. :cool1: You are going to have such a great time!! ::yes::

12. Disney Mommy 3

Disney Mommy 3 DIS Veteran

that sounds good for our first night....I tend to avoid buffets too--I was also looking at it thinking"I might could eat here!!"....we could just walk over from the bc/yc area...will have to add this to my list of things to try!

13. RinkyTinkyTinky

RinkyTinkyTinky DIS Veteran

Great pictures on your walk to dinner! Such a beautiful area!

GG looks really nice. And that is awesome that you had characters and were not expecting them. Love that! And so glad they didn't forget DS's birthday! That dessert looked pretty darn good to me!

I have to say that I find it very amusing that you don't like bacon. I don't think I have ever met anyone who doesn't like bacon. :laughing: That's not a bad thing though... just makes you special. ;)

That was the first review I've ever read of GG and I'm glad to hear you guys all liked it. It did look very clean and the place seemed empty. I love it when restaurants are like that! Glad things are starting to look up for this trip. :)

14. Mndisneygirl

Mndisneygirl DIS Veteran

Garden Grove sounds pretty good! I would like that salad for sure! I read about how they have different menus. I'm sure DH would like the BBQ, I would prefer seafood or Italian (but he'd like those too!). I had also heard about the Restaurant.com deals too. Might have to keep that in mind in the future...

I think someone asked how to get to Epcot from BC earlier -
    You just walk down a path from the lake side of BC, turn left and you can go in through the International Gateway into World Showcase. It's a 5 minute walk and it's such a great perk of staying at either YC, BC or BWI (or Swan/Dolphin for that matter).

15. ddluvsdisney

ddluvsdisney DIS Veteran

I can't believe how empty that restaurant looked!!!

Characters too...bonus!!

What a nice surprise for DS. I would have been so stressed out wondering if they remembered that you put the b day on the reservation.

I just saw your new ticker!!!!:banana:
    When did you book that?? Did I miss a whole conversation on this trip!?
    I can't wait to go with my family at Christmas time. I was able to go with my sister in 2010. I hope the boys wanna go back sooner than later. When they do it will be for Christmas!

16. Mndisneygirl

Mndisneygirl DIS Veteran

I see those tickers too!!!

Christmas season at GF and Poly??? Holy Cats that sounds good!! Start talking lady!

17. lala3291

lala3291 DIS Veteran

OMG!!! Look at those tickers!:cool1: My favorite resort...the GF! I am so excited that you will be trying it. And the Poly too?! I know how much you love it there. Congrats!

I have been researching the Poly over the past few days...I know we are going to love it!

18. JoBird

JoBird <font color=7570ff>Proud Charter Member of the Tag

:banana:

Yay for tickers!

Especially tickers that overlap with mine! :lmao:

Woot Woot!!!

Congrats on booking.... Finally!! ;)

19. Blessed_wth_Triplets

Blessed_wth_Triplets DIS Veteran

I'm in! Love your report so far!:thumbsup2

20. Disney Mommy 3

Disney Mommy 3 DIS Veteran

oh my goodness!! You are going again this year!? You lucky duck!!!!! I am excited for you to be going at Christmastime & you get to hang out with Jo AGAIN!!!

21. Pluto_fan

Pluto_fan DIS Veteran

New tickers! :cool1::cool1::banana::banana: Awesome!

Please tell me you guys are finally going to buy Annual Passes! :goodvibes