Trip #2: 4 Night Dream (Includes Concierge, Cabana, BBB, Traveling During School Time)-Complete!

TestingH2O

DIS Veteran
So yeah, this title is not at all exciting. I have nothing creative in me right now. I love reading Trip Reports though and I have enjoyed going back and looking at my last one. So, lame title and all, here we go.

We cruised for the first time last summer. It was my parents' 50th Anniversary and the link to that TR is in my signature. We had 3 Cat V rooms and had a lovely time. We almost immediately booked this trip as a follow up.

How did we choose this particular cruise? First, my mom and I were sure we wanted to take a longer trip this time, but my dad wasn't sure. Because of that, we agreed to do another 4 day.

Also, we know that my DH wouldn't be able to get away this time. In reality, the best time for him to travel is in July or August. Spring is incredibly busy for him. Because of this, we thought the 1 bedroom suite (Cat T) would be a good fit for our group.

Now, I'm a teacher, so traveling in early May is less than ideal. However, DD starts JK next year, and we figure this is the last time we would feel comfortable taking her out for a week during the school term. Also, I don't have upperclassmen this year. That's unusual for me, but it meant I didn't need to be there to get final grades in for the seniors. So, we thought we'd go ahead and go for it and catch the off-peak pricing. And hey, who in education doesn't need a little pick me up at this time of year?

stay-strong-300x300.png

So, let's go ahead and look at the details.

Travelers:
Me - I'm 38 and a teacher from St Louis
DD - A couple weeks shy of 4
My Mom (GMa) - Mid-70's, retired, loves to travel and spend time doting on her granddaughter
My Dad (GPa) - Mid-70's, retired, thinks he can still travel like he used to, dotes on his granddaughter but can get a bit testy when she acts like she's 3 or 4 years old.

Itinerary:
05/01 -
Fly from STL to MCO & Overnight at Homewood Suites MCO

05/02 - Embarkation Day

05/03 - Nassau

05/04 - Castaway Cay

05/05 - At Sea

05/06 - Disembark/DCL Transfers to MCO/Day room at Hyatt MCO/Fly from MCO to STL
Post-Trip

New experiences I'll talk about this time include DCL transfers, participating in a FB Meet group, using the clubs, BBB, Vanellope's, Satellite Falls, and room service in the suite. I'm also going to talk about how cruising during the school year worked for us.

I can't honestly say how long this will take me to write up since I do actually have to work and keep our house running. Sadly, unlike on the ship, lunches don't make themselves and the laundry needs some assistance to get in the machine.

75996334105df0e236689245dda9b3b8.jpg

I hope you'll follow along and feel free to ask questions or give feedback.

Last edited:
05/01

I had such a good time on my first DCL, I knew I'd enjoy planning as much for the second trip. If you're interested, my PTR is here. I was particularly excited to see the updates after the big dry dock.

As I mentioned above, I'm a teacher and going on vacation in the middle of the school year requires extra planning. Also, my DH was out of town for his twice annual business trip the week before the cruise. I ended up working a ton extra that week before as I tried to get all my ducks in a row. Friday, I left work at about 10:00 pm. Saturday, I did the mom taxi thing to gymnastics, swim, and church. Then, after one last family dinner I finished packing and did a bit more work. By midnight, I was as ready as I was going to get.

An aside: Luckily this time my parents were flying with DD and me. That made traveling easier and more fun. However, there was a major student crisis at the end of the day on Friday. I was particularly glad to have my parents with me through the weekend since I spent hours on the phone in the airport on Sunday, in the hotel Sunday night, and before we left port on Monday. Not exactly a clean break. Luckily we got it all resolved before Sail Away.

Back to the story, DD and I got up and moving. DH got all our stuff loaded up and we headed out to pick up my parents from their condo. Once we had them, we were loaded up and ready to go!

image.jpeg

Off to the airport we went and parked in the off site lot I prefer. I like it because it's convenient and has great shuttle service and helpful drivers. DD loves it because the shuttles are spotted. :laughing:

Our flight was on time, the flight attendants were great, and, compared to the last trip, it was almost a perfect travel day.

image.jpeg

Once in Orlando, we took the tram to bag claim. DD is currently doing a transportation unit at school, so she was very excited to add the airport train to her transportation list for this trip.

image.jpeg

We hit a small snag when it came time to catch the shuttle to the Homewood Suites. They told my dad the bus would meet us at A44. Dad immediately walked outside and said "come on!" I hung back with my mom and daughter and said "there's a sign there that says ground transportation is down." He came back and said he couldn't find the spot. I suggested we follow the signs. Lo and behold we found the bus!

image.png

Off we went to the Homewood Suites. The ride was very fast and we got there in time to get DD down for a short nap. Well, after she made sure the bed was ok.

image.jpeg

After she napped, we headed to Carraba's for dinner. The food was fine and the service was very good. It was great to be able to walk so easily.

After dinner, it was about time for DD to go to bed. After she went to sleep, my parents and I chatted, had some wine and watched a bit of TV. (Oh yeah, and I took another work call.) Then we all decided to turn in for the night.

I think there is a very good chance we will stay here again. We loved the 2 bedroom suite layout. DD could nap and go to bed early while the rest of us had space to hang out. My dad could also go watch news shows while my mom and I watched food tv and talked. To top it off, the whole suite cost just under what 1 standard room would cost at Hyatt MCO. The Hyatt also doesn't have free breakfast and I'm not sure I like the airport food options so much. It's true we had to shuttle back and forth, but that added less than 30 minutes on each end. Totally worth it in my mind. Here's the website if you're interested.

So, who thinks I was able to get a good night's sleep? :scratchin

Last edited:

Joining in! Looking forward to your report!

I have a reader!

Joining in also!!!

Wait, two readers?!

Following! Looking forward to your report :)

Three???

joining in!

Oh my goodness, this is exciting.

Just read through your previous TR and joining in here :-)

Wow! Five!

I really didn't think anyone but me read these. So thanks for coming by and :welcome:

05/02 Part I

When we last saw our protagonist, she was hoping to get a good night's sleep before an exciting embarkation day. Did she succeed? Would there be enough coffee in Orlando? Let's tune back in to find out!

Good nights sleep? Haha! No. I didn't sleep much at all. The excitement was just too much for me. And, once I finally did fall asleep, the alarm went off. It's a good thing my kid is cute because her obsession with buttons did not have an awesome result in terms of the hotel clock.

But, on the bright side, I did get to see this!
image.png

At 6:30, it was time for me to get up, shower, repack a few things, and grab breakfast. DD was also ready to go so she plowed through her cereal, pulled the last ring off her calendar, made friends with people in the elevator, and off we went!

Have I mentioned how pleased I was with our hotel choice? Breakfast was free and easy. Also, we reserved our seats on the shuttle so that was easy. The driver dropped us off right at the ME area of the terminal.

Now, this was our first time doing DCL transfers. I had read so many stories about long lines by 8:45/9:00. So I was quite surprised when we arrived at 8:30 or so and were one of 3 families in the area! Maybe it was the time of year, but I definitely found the reports of waiting highly exaggerated.

A couple buses stopped and DD was super excited to see them. One driver even took her in a "tour" of a bus before the ones heading to the port even arrived! He also gave her stickers. Needless to say, she was sure this trip was shaping up perfectly.

By 9:15, the desks were ready. We checked in, dropped our bags, and boarded the bus. A challenging moment arrived when we had to convince DD that she didn't want to sit all the way at the back.
image.jpeg

The drive was great. We enjoyed getting in the Disney mood. DD thought there were too many trivia questions (aka words,) but the adults enjoyed them. Before we knew it, look what we could see!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

We were definitely the first ones in the terminal. The line of people waiting in the parking garage was HUGE and visible from the bus.

It was so fun to see everything without all the crowds! Such a beautiful terminal.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

When we walked back to the concierge check in area, no one was there! The lady came hurrying over apologizing profusely. Her comment "the bus drivers are sure efficient this morning!" :laughing:

We got checked in, took photos and got our first lanyards. The concierge reception invites and kid club bands hadn't come off the ship yet, but that was ok. We dropped out bags in the concierge waiting area and took turns relaxing and taking DD to watch the ship action and explore the terminal.

Not long after, we got our invites and club band. I also got a chance to ask a few questions of the counselors. DD hadn't liked the clubs last time, so I wanted to talk about how to set her up for success this time. Not that I wanted her to go for long periods, but I thought she'd have fun.

image.jpeg

The pressed penny machines were broken so I didn't get to introduce her to those. :worried:

Not to worry though, we soon had our first celebrity sighting!

image.jpeg

Reunited and it feels so good!:rolleyes1

:offtopic:While we were in line, a very nice man who had been at the airport with us asked where we got our lanyards. He was obviously an international traveler. I have to make a Dis confession: I gave him one of our lanyards. Yes, I know he didn't "earn" it, but we certainly didn't need 4, and he had his hands full.

The crowds were now here, the family of the day had been chosen (a member of my FB group), and my dad came to say concierge was about to board.

We walked back to the waiting room, grabbed our carry on bags, and headed through the doors to really get vacation started!

Our next big question would be: who are the hosts and will DD get her cookie on a stick? Stay tuned to find out!

This is so cool. We live in St. Louis too and going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks. Very excited to read your trip report!

This is so cool. We live in St. Louis too and going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks. Very excited to read your trip report!
:welcome:

Have a great trip! Luckily the Lou has plenty of things to keep us distracted from wanting to get back on the ship.

The picture with Captain Mickey is precious! :love: Love the empty terminal pic too- I always try to get a good pic of the Mickey ears but there are usually a lot of people in the photos.

05/02 Part II

Imagine yourself being swept through a magical portal. The lighting softens. Happy music plays softly. Everyone you encounter smiles and seems to genuinely care about whether you are having a good day.

We were whisked down the gangway and stopped for our photo. This year, DD actually smiled rather than looking like she was being put away for 5-10.
image.jpeg

We were announced and taken up to deck 12 for the concierge reception.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

As we walked through the door, DD announced for all to hear "I'm hungry! Where's the food?"

Our hosts were Angelique, Tracey, and Danny. Angelique thought DD's announcement and certainty of mind was hilarious.

We had sailed with Danny last summer and I was surprised when he recognized me. His schedule and mine didn't cross often last year, so it was nice. Could have easily been the computer reminding him too, but I still appreciate the gesture.

Tracey went through our itenerary with us, added a tasting for my dad and I, confirmed meet & greet times, and helped us look at the map of castaway cay so we wouldn't miss the character dance party again.

Ludo was tending bar. I had my sparking rose while my parents had gin and tonics. DD had apply juice and, of course, her first cookie on a stick.
image.jpeg

She would eat so many of these things if I would let her. But, a word of warning, the mess they create is unlike any other. Seriously! First, they are a hybrid of cake and cookie. Also, they are dipped in chocolate that melts when touched. Thank goodness they aren't out all the time. I think we managed to get through the cruise with only consuming two.

Tracey told us our room was ready, so I dashed over to get pictures and set out little gifts for everyone.

We had room 12524, a 1-bedroom suite.
image.jpeg
Entering the room.

image.jpeg
Master bedroom with castaway club bag.

image.jpeg
Dining room.

image.jpeg
Living room with pullout sofa.

While I was in the room, I didn't bother getting out a card to turn on the lights. I was just finishing up and walking out the door when our assistant stateroom host opened it. Poor guy nearly had a heart attack! Then he was so worried I didn't actually know how to turn on the lights! I assured him we were great and went back to the lounge.

It was now apparent that DD was in desperate need of a nap. So, we got her settled and my dad and I headed to cabanas while DD slept and mom read. It was busy but not insane. I started my seafood eating week with shrimp and crab.
image.jpeg

Pro tip: there are crab crackers next to the seafood station. Don't try to open the claws without them like I did my first year.

We brought a plate back to my mom and just enjoyed the room for a while. Unfortunately our luggage hadn't arrived yet to start unpacking. Lucky me though, I got to take another work call and answer a few emails. Oh how I longed for sail away.

Almost before I knew it, it was 3:00. My FB cruise meet had decided to get together at Waves before the muster drill. DD was still sleeping after her exciting morning, so I went alone. While not everyone came, it was great putting faces with names. I ordered a drink, and that was a nightmare. It took at least 15 minutes, and the thing cost $9.75! For a very watery mojito. I was definitely not impressed with the Waves bar staff that day. The great company Mage up for it though.

Suddenly it was time for muster. This year we were outside on deck 4. Not super fun I must say. Oh well, it really was over quickly. DD isn't too bad with sounds either, so she didn't fuss much. Not a lot to say about this experience. My gut tells me I'd rather not have stories because that would certainly lead to longer drills.

Then, it was time to head up for Sail Away!

Pro tip: there are crab crackers next to the seafood station. Don't try to open the claws without them like I did my first year.

Loving your TR so far!!! My DH looked and looked for the crab crackers and never did find them. I even told him to just ask a CM for one and he is stubborn and refused so I was like, have fun cracking those bare handed LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter