Triathlon Thread 2009

Suzann...I've heard good things about Total Immersion, particularly if you are going to one of their clinics. :thumbsup2

Mike...I am going to get one of those external drives to see if I can't access my floppy disc files (ha!) and find my Wisconsin RR. And yes, the hills are relentless in that course...but it's quite pretty. It was my first IM, and I'm sure my experience would have been better if I knew what I was in for. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to reading it! Just got a saddle from specialized when the bontrager one didn't get it done...still uncomfortable, but not painful this time.

Does aero ever become comfortable? I can handle it for two to three minutes, but then have to sit up to relieve pressure...

2000 yard swim on tap tomorrow.

Thanks!

Mike

I love riding aero...but I'm on a tri bike, and maybe it's just more comfortable that way? At least for IM Wisconsin (can I call it IMMoo on here, like everyone on TNO?), you won't be aero the whole 112 like at, say, IM Florida...so you'll get a break from it. :)

I love riding aero...but I'm on a tri bike, and maybe it's just more comfortable that way? At least for IM Wisconsin (can I call it IMMoo on here, like everyone on TNO?), you won't be aero the whole 112 like at, say, IM Florida...so you'll get a break from it. :)

You can call it what you want...you've already done it!

I know the geometry for a tri bike is different than a road bike, but I don't have the coin to get a tri bike too...I love my Madone 5.2 and don't want to get rid of it either....

Thanks!

Mike

this thread dropped off the front page after 5 days.

Anyone else still training? I did another 2000 yard swim this morning.

I can't figure out why my knee is so painful...going for a massage on Wed, and hoping that helps!!!!

Oh, don't worry, Suzann...we'll keep it going! It's still a little early in tri season terms.

I go to the ortho doc today and sure hope I get cleared to run. I think I will.
:)

Hope your knee feels better! Are you in good running shoes?

Hi all,

I've mentally committed--if not actually registered-to do my first tri at end of June. There's a new women only tri in Michigan put on by a race management group founded by local girl and multi-sport Olympian Sheila Taoromina.

For now, I am training to do a spring road race or two--goal is to improve my 10 k time.

I'm sure I'll be back for tri training advice in the near future.

Maura

Betsy~ I hope they give you the clear to run!!!

laxdef69~ 2000 yards? You're my hero!

Just did 25 minutes on the stair master today.. ugh! Let's just say I'm glad there's tv's to watch!!!

With the sprint tri I'm doing on March 1st, there's also a tower climb at the end of March that I'm doing too. 69 floors, 1,311 steps.... last year I did it in roughly 15 minutes 35 seconds... this year I want 14 minutes!

Hey tri-ers! :wave2:

Yea for those that are signing up for their first tri!!!! :cool1: And great job to all of you on your training! :thumbsup2

I'm hoping I can join in the thread. I'm just starting training for a couple tri's this year. So far, I did 5 miles on the bike on Friday, 1850 yards swim on Saturday, and Sunday was rest. Tonight will be a walk/very slow jog.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, there will be a new women's sprint triathlon at Disney (Ft. Wilderness) on Sunday, Sept. 6th. It is supposed to be a true sprint, although they haven't posted a course map - 1/2 mile swim/12 mile bike/5K run. Registration just opened a couple days ago - www.trektriathlonseries.com. This is being run by Maggie Sullivan and Sally Edwards, who ran all the Danskin Tri's for many years. Apparently Maggie started her own company, and approached Trek (one of the big Danskin sponsors) about starting a new women's series. It looks like it will be very similar to the Danskin as far as a non-competitive atmosphere, and celebrating the cancer survivors. Danskin keeps saying they are still having their race series, although nothing is listed on their site. Disney's endurance flyer that was given out at Marathon Weekend does have it listed for Sunday May 10th. It will still go through the Magic Kingdom, and will be 400yrd swim/9 mile bike/2 mile run. Anyway, I just wanted to post for any WISHers that might be interested. I am planning on doing both of the races, and would love some company. :thumbsup2

--Lynnda

Hi everyone! My name is Tiffany and I just signed up for my first tri. Literally, like 10 minutes ago! It's a women's only sprint 400yd swim, 11 mile bike, 2.5 mile run. I already run (WDW Princess half marathon in March!) but I've always been terrified of the swim. Well, the local community college has beginning swimming classes, so I signed up. I can swim, just not with any stroke or breathing technique. The class ends May 30 and the tri is June 7th, so the timing is perfect. I also signed up for a Saturday morning spinning class. So now I'm absolutely terrified, but I've decided that being scared is not a good enough reason not to sign up! Plus it's really small tri and I know I would be disappointed in myself if I missed out just because I was afraid. So, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading :)

Suzann I had my eye on a stair climb here in Detroit in March--70 floors, 1035 stairs. Do you have a specific training program you use? I'm amazed that the winner last year actually finished in just over 6 minutes!

Maura

I know the geometry for a tri bike is different than a road bike, but I don't have the coin to get a tri bike too...I love my Madone 5.2 and don't want to get rid of it either....

Mike - I'll be outfitting my road bike with aero bars to do a couple of half Irons this summer. There are plenty of folks on my tri team that ride road bikes. I'm just planning on getting a refit when I get the bars on.

Has anyone done the 'Total Immersion' way of swimming for their training? I really am a terrible swimmer and was wondering if this would help :goodvibes

Suzann - I read most of the book, but just wound up taking a tri swim clinic at my local Y. I know a lot of people really like the techniques, and if I could have found a workshop in my area to do it may have been different. The workshop is expensive though...

Ok, back from completing my first full marathon and now will work on swimming. Been biking on the trainer in the basement and can't wait to get back outside (someday when the snow/ice melts ). Like most it's the swim that worries. I can swim but need some help with technique.

Lynnda - thanks, I had just come to grips with not going back to WDW until Jan and you post the fall tri....:rolleyes2 Likely won't make it but now I have to check it out. Also wonder if this explains why the Danskin site has no info on any of the 2009 tris.

Mike - Patrick has aeros on his road bike and loves them. No pressure issue. I'll get them when I get my new bike in April.

ghoulishgirl~ Wow, what great timing for the class and the tri!!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here! :goodvibes

Maura~ I actually think the stair climb was my hardest event all of last year... sure my tri took 2 hours to complete... but those 15+ minutes of the stair climb are hard! (not to scare you away..) Stair climbing works you more than running can and works your lungs like nobodies business! I love the adrenaline that you get when you reach the top!

Its kind of odd that the one in Detroit is 70 floors but only 1035 stairs.. and the one here in Seattle is 69 floors 1311 stairs... must be a difference in office or residential maybe. Hmm.

As for a training program, I really just work it out on the stair master at the gym (I belong to 24 hour fitness, so they have them there). I also do intervals of 45 steps per minute and 65 steps per minute.. alternating single steps and double (in the climb if you do double steps it takes less time of course, but your legs have to be used to that). I also work with a weight vest, but not when I just start out for the year.. I do the stair workout for about 2 weeks.. then each following week add about 5 pounds.. not going above 20 pounds of weight in the vest (don't want my knees yelling at me)
Ok, I think I've rambled on long enough... I really do think that stair climbing is a great event! Any other questions, feel free to ask :goodvibes

Lynnda - thanks, I had just come to grips with not going back to WDW until Jan and you post the fall tri....:rolleyes2 Likely won't make it but now I have to check it out. Also wonder if this explains why the Danskin site has no info on any of the 2009 tris.

Oh, you know you want to come!!!! It's on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend - perfect for a quick trip to see the Mouse! ;) I'm still holding out hope for Danskin. Last year, it seemed to take forever for them to post their race dates, too. We'll see...

--Lynnda

I purchased a new gel seat from Specialized...while not yet optimal, the pressure was greatly relieved, so I can get aero on my trainer for a few more minutes at a time without the pain/numbness I was experiencing earlier.

Now the issue I am confronting is a necessary knee surgery which will cause me to lose a couple of weeks of training.

Can't seem to win for losing....

Mike

Mike, what kind of knee surgery? I've had ACL reconstruction, Meniscus repair and meniscus removal.. lovely :sad2:

This morning I went in for my contrasting dye MRI on my shoulder (I've been pitching overhand baseball for 20 years.. its catching up to me!) Should have the results in a couple days

Mike, what kind of knee surgery? I've had ACL reconstruction, Meniscus repair and meniscus removal.. lovely :sad2:

This morning I went in for my contrasting dye MRI on my shoulder (I've been pitching overhand baseball for 20 years.. its catching up to me!) Should have the results in a couple days

Hope your shoulder is ok.

I've had ACL/MCL replacement on the left; only a meniscus repair on right.

This list of issues is on the right knee:

1) medial meniscus tear

2) 2cm x 5cm cyst

3) Chondromalacia, which is inflammation of the cartilage under the patella, aka runner's knee.

:(

Hi all! I recently registered for my first triathlon. It's the Aflac Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Tri on May 9th. I'm just doing the sprint and started my training this week. :)

Mike...good luck with that saddle!

Suzann...keep us updated on the shoulder....it can be a frustrating part of your body to rehab. Believe me, that has been the last 9 weeks of my life!
But I did get cleared to run and did my first run workout since my surgery last night! A whopping 1.5 miles, but it sure felt good! :cool1:

Caseydilla...ride some hills! It is a fun, fun race though! I did the Olympic distance last year. (well, only the swim and bike, because I had a hip injury)
Let me know if you have any questions about it. :)

oh...I see you are from there...so you will get to know the course. Still a really fun time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts