Treatment using the DDP

cnm03

Earning My Ears
For our trip in May im considering getting the DDP instead of the QS plan. My only hesitation is ive seen a few things of things about there being a separate menu for DDP at some signatures... Also I want to make sure we aren't treated like "red headed step kids" just because we are on the DDP and not paying out of pocket............ anyone other there have experiences they could share?

For our trip in May im considering getting the DDP instead of the QS plan. My only hesitation is ive seen a few things of things about there being a separate menu for DDP at some signatures... Also I want to make sure we aren't treated like "red headed step kids" just because we are on the DDP and not paying out of pocket............ anyone other there have experiences they could share?
No, there's no limited menu.
No, there's no reason for them to treat you any differently. In fact, you'll probably be ordering the more expensive items plus dessert, so the bill (paid with credits) will be bigger, and so will their tip.

Years ago I used to read that people were nervous about the level of service that they would receive if they used the DDP. I have never experienced poor service based on my use of the plan, even during "Free Dining". I think that one thing to always remember is that servers in WDW are held to a pretty high standard. I cannot imagine any restaurant on property would tolerate consistantly subpar service to a large percentage of their guests.

There is always the chance you will get a server who is having a bad night or a server who really just does not care, but you have recourse if that occurs. Just speak to a manager. I canhonestly say that in all the years and all the meals we have henjoyed in WDW, I have only once felt the need to speak to a manager about the level of service we had during dinner.

We have done the DDP twice and will be again in December - all three times on free dining. Never experienced poor service. As PP stated, our bill ended up being more than if we were paying OOP so they received a larger tip from our table because of the DDP.

1. There is not a separate menu, anywhere. The biggest difference is that an item marked "for two" must be ordered by 2 people - one person can't get it on their one credit (or their two credits at a signature).

2. Technically, if you are on the DDP, you are probably paying in cash worth for a signature meal more than someone paying cash for the same meal might be. It doesn't mean you aren't going to pay for your meal, it means you are using an alternate method to pay for your meal. (If you're using a "free dining" discount, the restaurant doesn't have the slightest idea whether you paid for the dining plan or got it free, unless you tell them. Free dining is a resort discount, not a restaurant discount.) Also DDP encourages guests to order several courses, which of course will jack up the tip. So why on earth would DDP users get poor service just because they are on DDP. I think the biggest issue that servers have with DDP is having to explain how to use it. And maybe some who think that because they prepaid for the meal, they're not required to tip.

Last edited:
I have never seen a seperate menu... I have seen items you can't buy with the plan though. For example at Via Napoli you can only get personal size pizzas. You can't order an appetizer as an entree is another restriction. At home I will do this if I'm not that hungry.

Via Napoli doesn't allow pooling or sharing of credits, they want each person on the DDP to use a credit to order their own meal. It's really to keep diners from doing things like feeding a party of 5 on two credits. But they are very much in the minority.

Ate on the DDP with no issues regarding this.

All staff was very courtesy with explaining how this works and what we get.

like the PP said, you're more inclined to get a more expensive item, thus upping the tip. I have never had bad service at a Disney Restaurant on the DDP and got it around 7-8 times.

Love DDP. Never experience poor treatment or altered menus. This December will be our third trip - and every time on free dining as well.

It has been years since I used the DDP but when we went to Le Chef de France for lunch they had a prefix menu of sorts. Besides that one dinner I never remember having a separate menu. There were some places where the more expensive cuts of meat had a note that you could not order that on the DDP but once again this was at least 4 years ago.

We never felt like we got less than stellar service on the DDP. The only time I've felt like I've gotten genuinely poor service was eating on a cast discount and in guaranteed tip situations. Not rude or anything just lack of attention but that is a standard experience.

We've actually received better service on the DDP than when using our Tables In Wonderland card, birth during FD and when buying the DDP oop. I think they expect you will order more items (a drink and dessert for everyone, rather than waters and a shared dessert, for example,) and the amount that you will tip on will be higher.

Our family has had the dining plan many times - both paid for and free - as well as back when the gratuity was included. Our service has always been excellent.

It has been years since I used the DDP but when we went to Le Chef de France for lunch they had a prefix menu of sorts. Besides that one dinner I never remember having a separate menu. There were some places where the more expensive cuts of meat had a note that you could not order that on the DDP but once again this was at least 4 years ago.

We never felt like we got less than stellar service on the DDP. The only time I've felt like I've gotten genuinely poor service was eating on a cast discount and in guaranteed tip situations. Not rude or anything just lack of attention but that is a standard experience.

That is a menu available to anyone, not just people on the dining plan.

That is a menu available to anyone, not just people on the dining plan.

We were told that was the only menu we could order off of though and not substitute the a la cart items. Like I said this was 4 or more years ago so but the menu was what we wanted anyways and none of us really thought we were being given wrong information but maybe we were.

Never an issue here. I base my tip on how full they keep my drink. I sometime ask them during busy times if bringing two drinks would help them out. They never have failed me. That guy at WC brought a large drink in a liter jar. Love that guy.

We have always had very good service with the dining plan No complaints at all. That's after 30+ TS meals on the plan.

Dan

We have went on the DxDDP twice. We have only had one bad experience that I relate directly to the dining plan where when we told the waitress that we were on the dining plan she said, "Of COURSE you are."It was a bad experience, but it was in 2009. Other than that we have never had a bad experience with it. We have had waiters who were having bad days, but we never thought it was because of the DDP.

Via Naopli is was very clear about HOW you can order but we had a great time there. Our waitress at Kona made sure I knew I wasn't getting the biggest "bang for my buck" by ordering sushi for my app and entree, but she wasn't fishing for a larger tip because she also didn't charge us for our kids' drinks (they weren't hungry, just thirsty). All in all our experience has been fantastic with the dining plan.

We've done several trips, both with and without the DxDP. I actually feel like we get better service when we are on the DP. When they ask at the beginning and we say "no", it's like we suddenly aren't "part of the club" anymore.

Of course any restaurant or server can have a bad night, but that's been our experience on average. I think those on a DP (maybe especially Dx) tend to order more, so the servers suspect a bigger tip is coming. Plus you might be more likely to eat more TS meals in general, so a higher likelihood of you being a repeat customer in the same trip.

The DP has evolved over the years. Years ago, when I shunned the free Fall DP and only paid OOP, I received incredible service. But in the past few years, servers have treated me better when I have been on the DP then when paying OOP. With the DP, I usually order the highest $ menu items to max the value of the pre-payed plan so upping their suggested tipping percentage. When paying OOP, I often order the less $ items so lower percentage suggested tip for servers. This reflects the value of the DP for WDW guests. Years ago, the DP included tips & 3 course meals. Now, it offers a more minimalistic value and you pay your tips. In the end, it is the relationship you and your server strike up between you. If either you (or your server) or both, are distant and uninterested, then not much will be going on. If you have a good dining experience, it should be reflected in your tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter