Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

• Step Count for arrival day (see above for a summary of the day)- 15 points
  • First place we visit after breakfast (food court) is the WWII Memorial. What time do we arrive?- 15 points
  • Which Memorial/Monument around the Mall has the worst-smelling bathroom?- 10 points
  • Part of the Korean War Veteran’s Memorial has markers for 22 countries who were members of the United Nations and were our allies during the Korean War. Which country did Ben want us to take a picture of?- 20 points

HotNJuicy looks good but I'm not much for seafood so. 1331 grille looks much better though. Overall the day sounds great despite not doing everything you wanted.

1. Steps for the day I'm going to say 23,000.

2. 9:30 AM

3. Lincoln

4. Ethiopia

Dee we had a wonderful trip. We are definite wimps with all the motion rides at US but it was great to experience them. The heat and being exhausted probably didn't help either. Our spring weather (cool and rainy) definitely did not prepare us for 90 with 90% humidity. Plus we were up at 2:45 AM, 6 AM flight, landed 25 minutes early did put us at HR at 9:30 am. I will send you pics of the shortcut change.

Lots of extreme rain when we were there but we did meet our cruising friends at Hurricane Hannahs and enjoyed two Pina Coolavas before the rain chased us under cover at YC. We did discover that night that the YC does sell some nice umbrellas and that the cabs will drop you right by your room and not the main building. Can't wait till September for our BC Anniversary trip.

My husband would love that crawfish place. If the mild was that spicy, can you imagine the medium and higher?

Your dinner looked good, too. Donuts and coffee ice cream for dessert? Yes, please!!!

I guess I forgot to post my guesses on the last post. I'm doing pretty poorly guessing, but I'm not a quitter. I'll say you walked 20,782 steps, arrived at the WWII Memorial at 8:45, the Lincoln Memorial to have stinky bathrooms, and I have no idea what country Ben wanted a photo. I'll go with Canada as they're our neighbors to the north.

Wow you guys did so much already and we're only at the end of day 1 :worship:
Day 2 sounds like it's going to be great :thumbsup2
I'm going to guess-
1) 22,274 steps
2)8.40am
3) FDR monument
4) Australia
Oh and :banana::banana:for being in the lead:rotfl2:

Your trip to DC looks mighty tasty! And the museums/memorials look great too :)
I have been to the Vegas outpost of hot n juicy! I remember really liking it, but yes it was spicy! It think the sauce we got was the H and J Special which I think is a combination of all sauces. I do like spicy but not when it interferes with the taste of the food. I've been to a few other places that are similar. If you're in NYC, try The Boil or in California try The Boiling Crab. Hawaii (Oahu mainly) has similar restaurants too. I found the best to be The Boiling Crab in California. I personally don't care for crawfish, but I love it with shrimp and clams!

1. Step Count for arrival day (see above for a summary of the day)- 15 points

2. First place we visit after breakfast (food court) is the WWII Memorial. What time do we arrive?- 15 points

3. Which Memorial/Monument around the Mall has the worst-smelling bathroom?- 10 points

4. Part of the Korean War Veteran’s Memorial has markers for 22 countries who were members of the United Nations and were our allies during the Korean War. Which country did Ben want us to take a picture of?- 20 points
1. 25,646 steps
2. 9:15am
3. Lincoln Memorial
4. Korea

These are total guesses. I couldn't find any good pictures of the Korean War Memorial except for all those matching soldier statues, which looked really very eerie.

HotNJuicyCrawfish Restaurant

It is a Cajun-themed restaurant with a lot of down-and-dirty, peel and eat options.
Because why wouldn't there be a Cajun themed crawfish place in Washington DC????

Holy Guacamole, this stuff was SPICY!!! Actually, we could have used some guacamole. We are not food wimps, but the heat was slightly uncomfortable. We were able to eat most of it, but it got harder and harder with every bite. There was a multi-generational family eating near us (a couple of young kids, parents, and grandparents) and they had also ordered the mild spice. They complained about the heat level. They were told they could get an order of Hawaiian sweet bread to help counter the heat.
Wow... tells you a lot if you ordered "mild" and it gets that kind of reaction. Certainly not for the faint of heart!

By the way- we only saw male waiters, no women/girls in skimpy tank tops.
Well that's disappointing.

Nate got the Tenderloin Steak ($38) with Lobster Mac & Cheese side ($7). No points offered here since steak is a slam-dunk order for Nate. Please note- he is NOT a cheap date!
:rotfl2: He has good taste though!

6 am flight from Boston to DC. Checkin at JW Marriott. Walk to Bureau of Printing & Engraving. Walk back to JW Marriott. Walk to Metro Station, walk from Metro station to Zoo. 2-3 hours at the Zoo. Walk to Lunch at HotNJuicy/Metro Stop. Walk from Metro Stop to Ford’s Theatre. Walk from Ford’s Theatre to JW Marriott. Dinner
Pretty full day!

Step Count for arrival day (see above for a summary of the day)- 15 points

First place we visit after breakfast (food court) is the WWII Memorial. What time do we arrive?- 15 points
8:45

Which Memorial/Monument around the Mall has the worst-smelling bathroom?- 10 points
Lincoln

Part of the Korean War Veteran’s Memorial has markers for 22 countries who were members of the United Nations and were our allies during the Korean War. Which country did Ben want us to take a picture of?- 20 points
Australia

DEE - this is great! Thanks so much for letting me know about your trip report. I know you are an uber planner so this is already helping me plan my trip to DC. I wish I could stay right in town but my reward night has to be in a level 5 or less Marriott. So I will be staying in Arlington near the cemetery. It really looks like your trip was off to an amazing start. I SHALL return!

So this happened...

WP_20160603_001.jpg

77b33eb7-995d-4dbf-8910-64043d27cd53.jpg

Nate graduated from high school Friday night.

It was a beautiful night- a little hot when we were sitting in the stands waiting for the ceremony to start, but then it cooled off beautifully as the sun set.

I had a view of Nate, but Mark and Ben's views were blocked by a speaker. There were also a couple of obnoxious spectators who did not listen to the requests not to stand at the railing.

We were thrilled when Nate was awarded a small scholarship. The students have an opportunity to apply for around 80 scholarships, but Nate was only eligible for a handful based on the requirements- some were grade based, or income based or related to the field of study or clubs/sports the students participated in. Nate was not involved in many groups during school. He had decent but not stellar grades and his only activity was 3 years of winter and spring track, so we really weren't expecting to hear his name called. We were so happy for him!

Here are a few pictures from a proud mama.

WP_20160603_002.jpg

WP_20160603_003.jpg

WP_20160603_018.jpg

Grad1.jpg

Grad2.jpg

WP_20160603_028.jpg

:dogdance:

Last edited:
Once again, apologies for being so far behind! It seems like I have not had much free time this spring. It is our busy time at the farm as schools are trying to schedule field trips before the end of the year. When I am not working, I have either been visiting with my dad or my inlaws or I have been working on getting the pool ready for the season. It finally looks good, now we just need some warm weather.

I got caught up after being a week behind on the Beach Club thread, now I need to check out everyone's trip reports and update my own.

Thanks for sticking with me!!!

:fish:

Crawfish with a side of sexual innuendo ... that's definitely a must-do. Maybe not with young kids, but with older kids (or on an adults-only trip) ... that could be interesting. Although it's weird that you only saw male waiters ... that article makes it sound like male waiters are a minority there.

Even without the Ford's Theater tour, it still sounds like a nice day. You got to see some nice stuff, even if you didn't get to do everything you wanted. One of the great things about a place like DC is that you can have a good time without doing much - just walk around and there's always something historical to see.

Dinner sounds like it was great!

1. 18,476
2. 9:15 AM
3. Jefferson
4. France

I liked Hot N Juicy, but the funny thing is Nate The Fussy liked it most of all.

I know, it was surprising to see male waiters. I thought I was going to have to have a talk with my boys about not objectifying women in skimpy uniforms, but I dodged that bullet!

It was a nice start. I wish we had a little more energy to do something at evening, but the early wake up and active day did us in.

Dinner was spectacular!

Got your answers!

:goodvibes

HotNJuicy looks good but I'm not much for seafood so. 1331 grille looks much better though. Overall the day sounds great despite not doing everything you wanted.

1. Steps for the day I'm going to say 23,000.

2. 9:30 AM

3. Lincoln

4. Ethiopia

We love seafood- New England and all that. But we had never tried crawfish before. They were good, but we would have liked it better if it hadn't been so spicy. Grill 1331 was definitely the better meal, the favorite of our trip, at least in terms of food.

It was a good day!

Got your answers!

:thumbsup2

Dee we had a wonderful trip. We are definite wimps with all the motion rides at US but it was great to experience them. The heat and being exhausted probably didn't help either. Our spring weather (cool and rainy) definitely did not prepare us for 90 with 90% humidity. Plus we were up at 2:45 AM, 6 AM flight, landed 25 minutes early did put us at HR at 9:30 am. I will send you pics of the shortcut change.

Lots of extreme rain when we were there but we did meet our cruising friends at Hurricane Hannahs and enjoyed two Pina Coolavas before the rain chased us under cover at YC. We did discover that night that the YC does sell some nice umbrellas and that the cabs will drop you right by your room and not the main building. Can't wait till September for our BC Anniversary trip.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. It really is a bit much with the simulators at Universal. We found that our first day on our first trip. We did like 4 simulator rides that afternoon. Too much!

Thanks for the shortcut pictures! Got them.

I haven't had a Pina Coolava, but they sound yummy.

:cool1:

My husband would love that crawfish place. If the mild was that spicy, can you imagine the medium and higher?

Your dinner looked good, too. Donuts and coffee ice cream for dessert? Yes, please!!!

I guess I forgot to post my guesses on the last post. I'm doing pretty poorly guessing, but I'm not a quitter. I'll say you walked 20,782 steps, arrived at the WWII Memorial at 8:45, the Lincoln Memorial to have stinky bathrooms, and I have no idea what country Ben wanted a photo. I'll go with Canada as they're our neighbors to the north.

Believe me, I was thankful we didn't try to be a little more daring! Maybe if we had some beer that would have cooled it down, but we really don't drink much.

Dinner was really a gem. When we saw coffee ice cream and donuts we knew we would be getting that!

::yes::

Wow you guys did so much already and we're only at the end of day 1 :worship:
Day 2 sounds like it's going to be great :thumbsup2
I'm going to guess-
1) 22,274 steps
2)8.40am
3) FDR monument
4) Australia
Oh and :banana::banana:for being in the lead:rotfl2:

That's our style! Go-Go-Go!

Yes, Day 2 has a lot on tap. I was really looking forward to several things we had planned.

Got your guesses. Congrats on your lead. Enjoy it while you can! :lmao:

Your trip to DC looks mighty tasty! And the museums/memorials look great too :)
I have been to the Vegas outpost of hot n juicy! I remember really liking it, but yes it was spicy! It think the sauce we got was the H and J Special which I think is a combination of all sauces. I do like spicy but not when it interferes with the taste of the food. I've been to a few other places that are similar. If you're in NYC, try The Boil or in California try The Boiling Crab. Hawaii (Oahu mainly) has similar restaurants too. I found the best to be The Boiling Crab in California. I personally don't care for crawfish, but I love it with shrimp and clams!

Food was not really the focus of our trip. I did a little research, but Hot N Juicy was the only place we "planned". Thanks for the recommendations on similar places.

1. 25,646 steps
2. 9:15am
3. Lincoln Memorial
4. Korea

These are total guesses. I couldn't find any good pictures of the Korean War Memorial except for all those matching soldier statues, which looked really very eerie.

I think I was trying to find some info on the Korean Memorial online and it wasn't easy. My dad would say that is because it is the forgotten war.

Got your answers!

Why are teenage boys never "cheap dates"? Because we teach them to enjoy good food ;) YUM on the steak Nate!

If it's not $40 entrees, it's $100 sneakers or $40 hats.

:sad2:

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. It really is a bit much with the simulators at Universal. We found that our first day on our first trip. We did like 4 simulator rides that afternoon. Too much!

Thanks for the shortcut pictures! Got them.

I haven't had a Pina Coolava, but they sound yummy.

:cool1:

Love Pina Coolavas. Pina Colada made with Raspberry rum and raspberry puree.

The motion is not good when you get the cold sweats on the ride from it. I had my eyes shut quite a bit. The Harry Potter stuff is neat but I think a youtube video will be my way to see it going forward.

I did find out how they do the Hogworth Express. Mike and I were discussing it. I pretty much had it right.

Because why wouldn't there be a Cajun themed crawfish place in Washington DC????

:confused3

Wow... tells you a lot if you ordered "mild" and it gets that kind of reaction. Certainly not for the faint of heart!

It was right at the top of our tolerance level.

Well that's disappointing.

No. Not really. But our waiter's pants could have been a little tighter.

:lmao:

:rotfl2: He has good taste though!

Yeah, but a boy's annual food budget should not rival his college tuition.

20,001, 8:45, Lincon, Australia

Got 'em.

DEE - this is great! Thanks so much for letting me know about your trip report. I know you are an uber planner so this is already helping me plan my trip to DC. I wish I could stay right in town but my reward night has to be in a level 5 or less Marriott. So I will be staying in Arlington near the cemetery. It really looks like your trip was off to an amazing start. I SHALL return!

I'm so excited for your upcoming trip and glad you are following along. I will try to go as quickly as I can but I have been really struggling to keep up! I should have an update tomorrow though. Almost finished.

I know I've said it already but congratulations again to Nate in his graduation :) I wish we did something like that here when kids leave school but we don't do graduation until you get your university degree. We do have a leavers night but it's not the same as the students getting a personal well done! Nate looks so grown up in his gown and you and mark look very proud indeed as does Ben. Brilliant to get a scholarship too :).

Your comment about Nates food bill made me laugh out loud. My son of the same age has the most expensive taste in food of all of us even though he is the plainest eater! Why have frying steak when there's fillets to be had:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter