• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Ok I'm getting my guesses in early before I forget lol
I'm guessing you saw 1,2,&6 I have to go and find out what chain restaurants you have as I'm guessing you didn't eat at McDonalds lol and I think you didn't eat or drink anything at the lounge because you couldn't find anyone to take your order.

Great updates by the way. Reading on my phone so can't wait to see all your photos on a laptop when I get the chance :)

Thanks!

Got your answers! Don't forget to guess a restaurant before I update next.

:goodvibes

My guesses are
Berlin Wall, Archies Chair and Julia's Kitchen

Casual Eatery: Cheesecake Factory

No food at the lounge because it was overcrowded with Conventionares.

Got 'em!

:thumbsup2

I love all of the pictures from the Washington Monument - the view from up there really is amazing! I was sad that it closed a few years back after the earthquake, but I'm glad it reopened!

Piece of the Berlin Wall (because those things are everywhere)
Original Kermit the Frog Puppet
Julia Child’s Kitchen

Hmm ... I don't really know restaurants at all, even the big ones, so I'm gonna go with ... Olive Garden.

It closed early for a private event.

Thanks! It was a beautiful day and we could see the sights really well. It wasn't really all that crowded/people weren't annoying staying at the windows forever, which was nice but unexpected!

It is a shame that the WM was closed so long after the earthquake. We waited until it reopened to plan another trip.

Answers noted!

::yes::

The Washington monument looks awesome! Glad you were able to get those tickets in advance.

The view from the top just look incredible and you can see everything.

My answers
2. General George Washington's Uniform
3. Original Kermit
5. Archie Bunker's Chair

Side note: I am a Happy Days fan. The show was based in Milwaukee which is where I am from. Downtown we have a the "Bronze Fonz" statue.

chain restaurant... I am going Cheesecake Factory

The lounge was closed...

I can't believe I am in the lead!

We were so relieved our rep could arrange to reserve tickets for us. Not sure how often it is done, because when we went to pick them up at the Visitor's Center, they were confused.

That is cool that you are familiar with Happy Days due to the local connection. Here in Boston we have "Cheers" I have never been there, but you can visit the bar that appears in the opening shot. I guess the inside looks NOTHING like the show set.

:eek:

Got your answers! Congrats on the lone spot in the lead.

:cool2:

Was that your first trip to DC or a return visit? What were the highlights of your trip?

First trip for the kids (12, almost 15). I've been there a few times, but the last time was over 20 years ago, and dh was there once when he was 5. So, I was the "expert" - but so much had changed since I was there last!

Dh ended up going to a trade show, so the rest of us tagged along, and added a couple extra days so dh could do some sightseeing, too. So, Monday, the kids and I walked to the White House, the Washington Monument - and then they were done walking around outside. And it wasn't even really hot yet. So, we went to the Natural History Museum, which was excellent, and spent 2-3 hours there. Then, we explored the Sculpture Garden next door, esp since it was on the way to the Circulator bus stop. We took the Circulator to the Lincoln Memorial. Note that it is good for transportation, but not really for seeing everything along the way. Then, we walked back to the hotel, since we planned to do more monuments with dh later.

Tuesday, the kids and I went to the Zoo. I got smart that time and took a cab, which left us at the entrance at the *top* of the hill. The pandas were definitely a highlight! We also really enjoyed the "Washed Ashore" art display of sculptures created from garbage washed ashore. Then, we picked up dh after his conference, and switched hotels to one in McLean. (Everything was full due to a bunch of conferences in town.) Before we left town, we went to Arlington Cemetery and watched the Changing of the Guard - in the pouring rain.

At our new hotel, we got a nice surprise that dinner was included! Staybridge Suites has complimentary happy hour and dinner on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday! I was able to meet up with a couple friends from my favorite parenting forum, so that was pretty cool - I've known them both for several years.

Wednesday, we went back downtown and did all the monuments. FDR was pretty impressive - I think that was my favorite. We also did Air & Space, which I had remembered as being more impressive, sadly. But, it was still cool - especially the second floor views. Then, we visited the Native American museum, which was super cool - especially from an architectural point of view.

Those are some incredible views from the top of the Washington Monument! You were lucky to have such a clear day and get good pictures.

I'll guess you saw George Washington's uniform, Original Kermit the Frog, and Archie Bunker's Chair at the museum. That's great that you were able to meet with Missy and Franklin. Franklin has some of the best Disney photos I've ever seen here. I'll try Chili's for the chain restaurant and the reason you couldn't get anything at the lounge is because it was too crowded.

First trip for the kids (12, almost 15). I've been there a few times, but the last time was over 20 years ago, and dh was there once when he was 5. So, I was the "expert" - but so much had changed since I was there last!

Dh ended up going to a trade show, so the rest of us tagged along, and added a couple extra days so dh could do some sightseeing, too. So, Monday, the kids and I walked to the White House, the Washington Monument - and then they were done walking around outside. And it wasn't even really hot yet. So, we went to the Natural History Museum, which was excellent, and spent 2-3 hours there. Then, we explored the Sculpture Garden next door, esp since it was on the way to the Circulator bus stop. We took the Circulator to the Lincoln Memorial. Note that it is good for transportation, but not really for seeing everything along the way. Then, we walked back to the hotel, since we planned to do more monuments with dh later.

Tuesday, the kids and I went to the Zoo. I got smart that time and took a cab, which left us at the entrance at the *top* of the hill. The pandas were definitely a highlight! We also really enjoyed the "Washed Ashore" art display of sculptures created from garbage washed ashore. Then, we picked up dh after his conference, and switched hotels to one in McLean. (Everything was full due to a bunch of conferences in town.) Before we left town, we went to Arlington Cemetery and watched the Changing of the Guard - in the pouring rain.

At our new hotel, we got a nice surprise that dinner was included! Staybridge Suites has complimentary happy hour and dinner on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday! I was able to meet up with a couple friends from my favorite parenting forum, so that was pretty cool - I've known them both for several years.

Wednesday, we went back downtown and did all the monuments. FDR was pretty impressive - I think that was my favorite. We also did Air & Space, which I had remembered as being more impressive, sadly. But, it was still cool - especially the second floor views. Then, we visited the Native American museum, which was super cool - especially from an architectural point of view.

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Thanks for the summary. Great ages for the kids to be there.

That was VERY smart about a cab to the zoo. So.very.hot!

Dinner included is awesome!

Yes, FDR memorial is really beautiful and huge. We visited the Native American museum to eat on our 2010 trip. I hoped to make it back on this trip but we didn't have time.

:goodvibes

Those are some incredible views from the top of the Washington Monument! You were lucky to have such a clear day and get good pictures.

I'll guess you saw George Washington's uniform, Original Kermit the Frog, and Archie Bunker's Chair at the museum. That's great that you were able to meet with Missy and Franklin. Franklin has some of the best Disney photos I've ever seen here. I'll try Chili's for the chain restaurant and the reason you couldn't get anything at the lounge is because it was too crowded.

It was a great day! Really clear views.

Got your answers.

Franklin's photos are INCREDIBLE!!!

:worship:

Ok I googled NY seafood chain restaurants and it came up with The Lobster Place. So I'm guessing you all ate there even though I've never heard of this chain lol:confused3 Thanks for the reminder to guess :thumbsup2

Ok I googled NY seafood chain restaurants and it came up with The Lobster Place. So I'm guessing you all ate there even though I've never heard of this chain lol:confused3 Thanks for the reminder to guess :thumbsup2

I have never heard of The Lobster Place either. So I will change your answer to Red Lobster. Which is not right either.

:laughing:

But you did pretty darn well on the other guesses...

::yes::

American History Museum, DISmeet

After we came down from the Washington Monument, we had time for one museum before meeting up with friends for dinner.

Off to the Museum of American History we went.

The line to get in was pretty long, but we noticed that the bagless line was not. We were travelling light because we had been at the White House earlier, so we waltzed right in!

DSCF0473%20-%20Copy.jpg

DSCF0474%20-%20Copy.jpg

The first thing we did, because it is right there in the lobby, was visit the exhibit that holds the flag that inspired “The National Anthem”

DSCF0475%20-%20Copy.jpg

No pictures allowed here in order to preserve the flag.

DSCF0476%20-%20Copy.jpg

Next, we were off to the “America at War” Floor. My boys are really into history, especially military history, so they could probably spend all day here. Fortunately, we only had about an hour!

:rotfl2:

Some of the things we saw:

General George Washington’s uniform and epaulets

DSCF0478%20-%20Copy.jpg

DSCF0480%20-%20Copy.jpg

Sword from the British Surrender at Yorktown

DSCF0486%20-%20Copy.jpg

This model of a privateer ship. There was no formal US Navy during the Revolutionary War. Privateers are like pirates, but legal since they were supported by the government.

DSCF0483%20-%20Copy.jpg

WP_20160419_155.jpg

The reason that this is meaningful to me is that two of the owners of the museum house and farm where I work were privateers. The first, Nathaniel Tracy, was one of the wealthiest men in our area. During the Revolutionary War, he lost many ships and also loaned a great deal of money to finance the Revolutionary War, which was never repaid. Ben portrayed him during his 3rd grade wax museum at school. Bankrupted, Tracy sold the house/farm to Offin Boardman, who was a captain on one of his ships and also a war hero. The extensive and interesting diary he kept is the basis of one of our programs, a historical fiction class called In Search of a Story. We take students through different areas of the farm, discuss Boardman’s connection to them, introduce some period language and then the kids write their own stories.

More war exhibits:

DSCF0492%20-%20Copy.jpg

History and pieces of the Berlin Wall

DSCF0499%20-%20Copy.jpg

DSCF0500%20-%20Copy.jpg

DSCF0495%20-%20Copy.jpg

DSCF0497%20-%20Copy.jpg

DSCF0498%20-%20Copy.jpg

Another nearby exhibit was the full-sized gunboat Philadelphia. You could walk all around this and it was pretty cool to study.

DSCF0503.jpg

DSCF0502.jpg

But I was getting a bit overwhelmed (bored) with all the war stuff. I wanted some pop culture!

DSCF0506.jpg

Some of my favorite artifacts from previous visits to this museum were Archie Bunker’s chair, Fonzie’s jacket, Kermit the Frog, Dorothy’s ruby slippers, memorabilia from the Lion King play.

I looked at the museum directory and could not figure out where these things were displayed. We checked all the floors and nada!

Turns out, these items were not on here, they are on traveling exhibit to other museums.

:headache:

We did make our way down to the bottom floor and spent a little time looking at Julia Child’s kitchen. As someone who loves to cook and a fan of tv cooking shows, it was appropriate to pay tribute to the one who started it all.

DSCF0507.jpg

“Save the liver!” (10 bonus points to the first one who explains this reference)

But by this time, we needed to leave to get to our dinner meeting. We had plans to meet friends at 5:30 at a chain restaurant I had never been to before. I told Mark and the boys that they could join me if they wanted to, but they didn’t have to. They decided to come along.

Missy @Missyrose was one of the first trip report writers I followed. She is a writer by trade and has the best descriptions of her trip and a true love for all things Disney. Her husband Franklin takes incredible, just incredible photos, but don’t take my word for it. Check out her reports or her Facebook page. We have become good friends through the DIS, Facebook and email.

We walked the few blocks to Shake Shack. Nobody guessed this!

Shortly after we walked in we spotted each other and exchanged hugs. Missy, Franklin and I went up to order while Mark, Nate and Ben waited to find a table where we could all sit together.

I ordered the ShackBurger and a Strawberry Lemonade. Shakes are a bit rich for me and I preferred something refreshing. The boys ordered a cheeseburger, two Chicken Shacks, fries and 3 shakes. Wow, I am just looking at the receipt and the shakes are the same price as the burgers! Then after the meal, we ordered some donut/ice cream thing they are famous for.

This is the only picture I took of our meal.

WP_20160419_157.jpg

None of the food really blew me away, but it wasn’t about the food.

We had an incredibly fun visit with Missy and Franklin. We talked Disney, we talked Star Wars, we talked football. We had just “made” our dining reservations that morning for our October trip. Well, IPO made ours because we were away. They will be at Disney at the same time we are so we discussed where we would be eating.

We all know that if there are not pictures, the meet didn’t happen. We had the best photographer in Washington DC at our table, so what did I do? I handed my phone to Nate to snap a picture of Missy and me.

Nate was across the table from us and I didn’t want to bother Franklin.

But what we got was good enough for Facebook…

WP_20160419_158.jpg

And believe it or not (I don’t), that was the last photo I have from that night!

I want to say it was around 7 when we parted and walked back to our hotel.

We chilled out in the room for a bit, watched some tv.

Our dinner was not huge, so around 8:30 or 9 we all decided to go to the lounge at the hotel for drinks and an appetizer or two. We had done that a couple of times on our previous trip 5 years ago at a table outside the bar. We have some nice memories of the food and conversation the 4 of us shared.

We sat down and waited for someone to come by. And waited. And waited. After about 10 minutes, a waiter finally came over with menus and said he would come back for our order. He lied. We waited around another 15 minutes or so before we bailed and just returned to our room.

End of Day 2.

Summary of our day- we started with breakfast in the hotel food court. Toured the monuments on the mall from 8 am to 9:30. Visited the Smithsonian Castle and Museum of Natural History. Lunch back at the food court. Walked to White House for tour. Washington Monument tour. Museum of American History. Dinner at Shake Shack then back to the hotel.

Contest Questions:

Step Count for Day 2, Tuesday (see above)

The next day, Wednesday, we have a docent-guided tour of the National Archives at 9:30 am. After lunch, we will go to the Stephen Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum, which is near Dulles Airport. This will take up most of our afternoon. Then we will tour the monuments at night.

We have breakfast at the hotel dining room. Our breakfast check (including tax, not including gratuity) was less than the bill we had from our fabulous dinner on our arrival night. How much less? $5-$10 less, $10-$15 less, $15-$20 less? (5 points)

Which of the 3 Charters of Freedom does our guide almost forget to show us? Declaration of Independence, US Constitution or Bill of Rights? (5 points)

What site do we visit after the Archives and before lunch? (10 points)

And don't forget to "Save the Liver!"

Next Up: We the People

Last edited:
Contest Update

In the next update, we go to the American History Museum for a couple of hours. We saw 3 of the following 6 things. Which 3? 10 points for each correct guess

1. Piece of the Berlin Wall
  2. General George Washington’s Uniform
  3. Original Kermit the Frog Puppet
  4. Fonzie’s Leather Jacket (Happy Days)
  5. Archie Bunker’s Chair (All in the Family)
  6. Julia Child’s Kitchen
Correct Answers: 1- Berlin Wall, 2- Washington's Uniform, 6- Julia's Kitchen

Dinner was with longtime friends I know from the DIS who live in the DC area, but had never met in person. You don’t get to guess who because I posted on Facebook after meeting up with Missy (missyrose) and Franklin (pixeldust). But you do get to guess where. 20 points
Hint: Casual Chain Restaurant for example, Five Guys
That is NOT the answer- the boys had lunch there that day.

Shake Shack- NO POINTS!

To end the night, the 4 of us went to the lounge at our hotel for a late night snack and drinks. Why did we leave without getting anything? 20 points

Nobody took our order.

luvpoohandcompany pretty much nailed it!
"I think you didn't eat or drink anything at the lounge because you couldn't find anyone to take your order. "

Updated Leader Board, July 27

luvpoohandcompany: 145
rteetz: 125
SarahDisney: 105
Wood Nymph: 80
annie170: 55
afwdwfan: 50
bookgirl: 50
pas130: 20

Last edited:
Woohoo back in the Number 1 spot!! :thumbsup2

Have never heard of shake shack by the way but hey no one else guessed it either so I'm probably not alone in that one lol

Great that you got to meet Missy and Franklin and yeah wow on Franklin's photos:worship:
Great update. I'm cooking dinner so will be back later with guesses but just wanted to say "save the liver" might be from Thanksgiving dinner cookery show with Julia and she wanted to make gravy with the giblets?? No idea really but worth a shot cos I might be a wee teeny tiny bit competitive:rolleyes1sometimes:rolleyes1ever so slightly :rotfl2:

Looks like a fun time at the history museum. I think that would really be a cool place to go and see all of the artifacts.

I have heard of shakeshack but we don't have any in wisconsin so that place didn't come to mind.

Oh no I lost my first place spot! lookalike i better have a good round to regain my lead.

The next day, Wednesday, we have a docent-guided tour of the National Archives at 9:30 am. After lunch, we will go to the Stephen Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum, which is near Dulles Airport. This will take up most of our afternoon. Then we will tour the monuments at night.

We have breakfast at the hotel dining room. Our breakfast check (including tax, not including gratuity) was less than the bill we had from our fabulous dinner on our arrival night. How much less? $5-$10 less, $10-$15 less, $15-$20 less? (5 points)

Which of the 3 Charters of Freedom does our guide almost forget to show us? Declaration of Independence, US Constitution or Bill of Rights? (5 points)

Step count: I am going to say 24,500

$10-15 less

Declaration of Independence

Robert Kennedy memorial?

Okie doke back and ready to place my bets ( hmm I mean guesses) :)
1) 22374 steps
2) $5-$10 less for breakfast
3) Bill of Rights
4) Martin Luther King Memorial
Crossing all fingers and toes that I'm even remotely close (for the next 10 seconds at any rate):thumbsup2

Lol. That's where the kids and I had dinner one night on our recent trip!

DSCF0507.jpg

“Save the liver!” (10 bonus points to the first one who explains this reference)

And, I have that color KitchenAid mixer! But not the same model - ours doesn't have the wings at the base, I don't think. (I'm guessing the screws for the bowl are for the exhibit, because otherwise how would you wash in it normal use???)

Save the liver sounds like something Julia Child would say - because you would save it for making something else. (Foie gras, maybe?) Somehow, I doubt she meant to *not* drink the wine, and thereby save your own liver!

I forgot to answer the last round of questions. :( Oh well, I never would have guessed Shake Shack. I would have picked something that served appetizers. :)

1. step count 18.453
2. I hope breakfast was $15 to $20 less, since you had a pretty nice dinner that night. :)
3. Bill of Rights
4. International Spy Museum
5. when cooking a whole chicken, save the liver and gizzards for use in stews and sauces

My guess list:

$15-$20 Less

Bill of Rights

US Navy Memorial

Dan Aykroyd SNL Sketch where he played Julia Child. He goes on and on about saving the liver.

Or you can save the liver and fry it up with some onions for a little snack; or if you have a number of livers, you can make a lovely liver pate, or a delicious liverwurst which you can spread on a cracker - a Ritz cracker, a Saltine.. or rye bread, or pumpernickel bread.. or if you're celebrating the Jewish holidays, you can make a chopped liver and shape it into the bust of a friend.. if someone's getting married or bar-mitzvahed. Or, if you have a little cat or a dog, they love liver. Save the liver! Don't throw it away! I hope I've made my point. Don't throw the liver away.

Sounds like a good time at the Museum of American History!

Also, I don't know how I didn't guess Shake Shack. They just opened a Shake Shack at my mall (okay, it was like 3 months ago), so it's always on my mind. That was a major fail on my part.

$15-$20 less

US Constitution

Hmm ... looking at a map, it looks like Newseum is near there, so I'll go with that.

I feel like this is before my time.

Sounds like a good day! I am almost afraid to visit D.C. with Alex, because he, like your boys, would spend the entire time in the military history portion of the museum. Boys...

How great that you got to eat dinner with Missy and Franklin! It's always fun to have a DISmeet while at Disney, but I think it's even cooler when you get the opportunity outside of Orlando. Just goes to show the boards create genuine friendships.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter