Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

natebenma

Beach Club Dee
8th Grade Class Trip/Disney Youth Education Series (Y.E.S.) Program
June 8-12, 2015, All Star Movies
112 teens, 43 adults

DSCF7502.JPG

:welcome: everybody to my second trip chaperoning teenagers from our middle school on their 8th grade class trip to Disney World.

My name is Dee, my son is Ben (age 14) but the rest of my traveling companions will remain nameless and faceless, to protect the innocent (and not so innocent) people I know. Our walking group was 12 boys and 5 chaperones.

DSCF7608.JPG

Throughout this report, I will sprinkle some flashbacks to the trip I chaperoned 3 years ago with my older son Nate. For those of you who followed that trip, you know there was quite a bit of drama involved.

145 Middle Schoolers :rolleyes2 Wicked Awesome or Epic Fail???

Background of trip:

For the past 13 years, since 2001, the 8th grade class has gone to Disney World to participate in the Y.E.S program as a class trip. Every year we hear from groups of parents who question the cost and educational value of the trip compared to a trip to say Washington DC or New York City.

This year’s trip was $875 for students, $925 for chaperones and included transportation to and from the airport, roundtrip nonstop airfare to Orlando, 4 nights at All Star Movies, 3 day Park Hopper passes to the theme parks, 2 special classes at the theme parks, 2 counter service meals per day for the 3 park days, grab and go Continental breakfast provided by the teachers and water for the parks. About the only extra expense necessary for students was food for the travel days, any extra snacks and souvenirs.

Every effort is made to ensure that any student who earns the right to go on this trip by demonstrating proper behavior and effort throughout the school year, regardless of ability to pay, is able to participate in this trip.

I doubt you can really plan a trip to Washington DC for much less, plus the idea of being on a bus for 10-12 hours, of moving 150 people around the city and trying to find affordable places to eat for a group of this size all scare me!

While no place is perfectly secure, a trip to the World offers convenient transportation, a wide variety of food options and unrivaled security that is very assuring to school staff, chaperones and parents sending their children on this trip.

We hire Disney security guards to patrol our hallways overnight and we bring 2 nurses on the trip.

There is no shortage of chaperones volunteering to come along.

How is this educational?

The first two mornings the students are in the park, they attend organized and unique classes through Disney’s Youth Education Series (Y.E.S ) program. There are a variety of offerings in all 4 theme parks. The classes we actually take are based on the availability of instructors for the size of our group on the days we will be there. Some examples are a physics class where the kids ride Space Mountain with the lights on and off and compare the experience and a class on Imagineering at Hollywood Studios.

This year was Energy and Waves at Magic Kingdom, featuring a backstage visit at Haunted Mansion and Careers in Marine Biology at EPCOT. I’ll describe these in depth in my report.

P1100630.JPG

Energy and Waves, 2012

WP_20150610_021.jpg

Opportunities abound within the parks for educational experiences:

Exposure to exotic animals and environmental lessons at Animal Kingdom

WP_20150611_026.jpg

Lessons about attention to period detail, entertainment history and exposure to important musical influences (Aerosmith) for a new generation at Hollywood Studios.

DSCF7650.JPG

Magic Kingdom has Carousel of Progress and Hall of Presidents. OK, nobody actually goes to these attractions. But we could!

EPCOT has acres of learning disguised as fun- cultural studies in the World Showcase, hands-on physics and engineering experience at Test Track and Sum of All Thrills, history of communication, cutting edge horticulture and immersive study of energy and conservation practices.

DSCF7186.JPG

DSCF7178.JPG

DSCF7124.JPG

DSCF7129.JPG

Not to mention the constant math that happened during the trip.

We have 17 people, 3 sitting out- how many in our ride party?

But the greatest lessons learned on this trip are the social ones. Travelling with a large group of peers and sharing experiences with both friends and with kids who do not normally interact. Compromise- making sure that the needs of everyone in the group are considered when deciding what to do, when to do it and where to eat. Appropriate public behavior. Money management.

When I first participated in the class trip 3 years ago, I was duly impressed by how well-organized this trip was. And kudos do not come easily from me.

:worship:

But these past few years the school has had a secret weapon, someone with a serious addiction to the Mouse and the Disney expertise to help navigate the World of Magic Bands, Fast Passes, Park Hours and Food Options.

In preparation for this trip, I managed (with assistance) the creation of 13 My Disney Experience accounts for our walking groups, linking of park tickets for everyone on the trip, booking 150 Fast Passes each for 3 days at the parks and preparation of concise informational resources for chaperones on the trip.

A volunteer by nature, I have been offering my assistance on past trips, but this year it was personal!

I devoted many waking hours to the success of this trip but who knew

“I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”

Next Up: Getting There is Half the Fun. Wait. No it isn't!

Last edited:
Saved for Chapter Links

Intro: Post 1

Monday June 8

Getting There is Half the Fun. Wait. No it isn't! Part 1
"I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!"

Tuesday June 9

All About All Star Movies (or Not!), Breakfast and Y.E.S Energy and Waves

Solo Morning at MK

Part 1- Arrival at MK

Part 2-Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Queue
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Ride
More Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

A New Way to Experience a Classic (Peter Pan Queue Line)
Peter Pan Queue Two
Peter Pan Queue Three
And Away We Goooooo!

A Chance Encounter at the Tangled Tinkle Spot
I Have Waited My Whole Life To Fly With Elephants
Dee Does Dumbo
Under The Sea (And Under The Bus)
The Ride, Part 1
The Ride, Part 2, Together Again- Columbia Harbor House

Together Again

Three Mountains! And More!
A Classic
Tom-Morrow and Buzz
People Mover Photos Through the Years

EPCOT

The Golf Balls Made it to Florida, but not California

Wednesday June 10

Epcot
Behind the Seas, Y.E.S. Class, Part 1
Behind the Seas, Y.E.S Class, Part 2
Electric Umbrella, Spaceship Earth and Test Track
Lost in Space, Back in Time and Sum of Thrills
A Visit from RCFD

Hollywood Studios
Hollywood Studios-Singing in the Rain!

Thursday June 11
"I paid for that meal, I'm gonna take a picture!"

Animal Kingdom
Yeti & Yak, Part 1
Yeti & Yak, Ride 2
Snakes in a Stall
Going Back in Time: Dinosaur and Class Trip Flashback

Hollywood Studios
Tower of Terror with Teens
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

Resort Break
All Teen, All Male, All Stars Synchronized Swim Team

Magic Kingdom
Will We Make it Until 1 am? Part 1
Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Friday June 12
Departing is Such Sweet Sorrow

Tips for a Group Trip- will be working on this post

Washington DC- BC Dee in DC Monday April 18- Thursday April 21, page 28

Intro
Monday April 18, 2016

Arrival
Smithsonian National Zoo, Part 1
Smithsonian National Zoo, Part 2
The Big Drool, Y'all!

Tuesday April 19
Monuments Men, Part 1
Monuments Men, Part 2
Smithsonian Castle
Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
White House
Washington Monument
Smithsonian Museum of American History, DISmeet with Missy & Franklin

Wednesday April 20
We The People
Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Annex, Part 1
Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Annex, Part 2
"Dude! They Got a Limo!" DC After Dark, Part 1
"Dude! They Got a Limo!" DC After Dark, Part 2

Thursday April 21
A Capitol Morning
Da Planes! Da Planes!
Roti & Fini!

Life Events

Nate's Graduation: June 3, 2016

Happy 30th Anniversary

Driver's License and UNH

Last edited:

popcorn:: Joining! I have never heard of the Y.E.S program. My high school graduation trip was to WDW. That was, however, only a day trip, decades ago and our bus trip was only 2.5 hours.

Last edited:
I am so excited that you've begun the report! I can't wait to see the pictures and read all about the trip!

Wow! You've got skills Dee! I'm intimidated just linking 2 MDE accounts let alone 13! Looking forward to seeing how this trip compares to 3 years ago.

This is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Thanks for the TR Dee!!!!!!!!!!!

Well haven't you just made my Monday which is very kind of you considering you made my Sunday too by posting the photo of the boys on Small World lol. Can't wait to hear all about the trip. Wish a trip to WDW was possible for our kids. I'd be leading the way!! Looking forward to the next installment :)

Class trips, the stuff of memories! Can't wait to read all about it, along with the flashbacks of the trip with Nate's class.

Following along! Sounds like an amazing (and stressful) trip. Can't wait to hear about it all. Eeek on the 150 FPP's. I can't even imagine doing something like that- congrats!!

:thumbsup2I'm in! Looking forward to reading all about the fun and your uber organizational skills. :thumbsup2

I'm joining along. This sounds like an incredible and slightly overwhelming trip. Can't wait to read all about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter