Travellers cheques

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by eeyoreangel1, Oct 17, 2009.

1. eeyoreangel1

eeyoreangel1 Mouseketeer

Have been watching the dollar rate recently and have decided to go ahead and get some of our travellers cheques, so to anyone who has recently been out to orlando and used them are they still widely accepted in shops, restaurants etc?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Dimplenose

Dimplenose <font color=red>Stranger from the outside<br><font

We used them like cash in August. I was asked for my ID more often than on previous trips.

4. wayneg

wayneg Moderator Moderator

Only 2 places I know of where you could have a problem. Golden Corrall they stopped accepting them last year not sure if they do now. Other is Walmart, some have posted issues there but others say no problem:confused3
    As far as I know everywhere else accepts as cash but ID is sometimes needed.

5. DISWolves

DISWolves Dreams really can come true !!!!

I have used TC's at Walmart on Turkey Lake and US192 with no problems.

It maybe the that the check-out assistant is not having a 'nice day'! :lmao:

6. wayneg

I believe its one on 192 West somewhere not a general Walmart policy. Not seen anything posted for a while so maybe they accapt them again now.

7. eeyoreangel1

eeyoreangel1 Mouseketeer

Thanks very much for all your replies
    We have been and got our T/Cs today from Thomas cook and for those who may be interested if you go to their website you can print out a voucher which enables you to go into any high street branch and get the internet rate which was about 6 cents more that the shop rate,every little helps:rotfl:.
    This offer is for a min spend of £500 and finishes nov 30th.

8. garethanders

garethanders Earning My Ears

What ID is accepted if needed, does it have to be passports or can we use drivers licence?

9. wayneg

I always use driving licence for ID in US, some use passport.

10. richard_andmel

richard_andmel DIS Veteran

Orlando is the only place I would use these. We were in the Seattle area for a couple of weeks and were surprised how many people wouldn't take them, or had never even seen them. Orlando being such a tourist spot is a bit safer. We are going to stick to our debit card and cash from now on.