Traveling without a carseat?

tnshsms

DIS Veteran
We are taking a DCL cruise in May. We will stay at the airport hotel, take the DCL transfer to and from port and stay one night on the end of our trip at WDW. I would prefer to not bring my almost 3yo's car seat on this trip. I will use CARES(www.kidsflysafe.com if you don't know what I'm talking about) for the plane but I wasn't sure if going without a carseat was crazy or not. Thoughts?

Good to hear! So did you take your his carseat too and check it or did you go without a car seat?

I think you are overcomplicating things.

You don't need a car seat on the DCL transport. It isn't required on buses.

We also used the CARES for our just turned 3 year old - it works well - but really found it wasn't that necessary for the plane and on the way back just had her in the seatbelt - but it all depends on your level of comfort with it on the plane. We had a driver service to/from airport and had them bring a carseat - so we never needed one. If you are using DCL transport - I'm sure you will be fine without one.

I think you are overcomplicating things.

You don't need a car seat on the DCL transport. It isn't required on buses.

i agree! I tend to be a bit anal as far as our 18 month olds safety is concerned. the disney cruise line bus transfer didnt allow our daughter to have her own seat so we carried her in our laps to the port from the airport. in the Bahamas it wasnt necessary either.

Good to hear! So did you take your his carseat too and check it or did you go without a car seat?

We left the carseat in the car at our home airport. We used the Cares only. We had quite a few parents ask us about the Cares as they were lugging their carseat down the aisle.

There are no seatbelts on the DCL or ME buses. So you wouldn't be able to use the carseat or the Cares on them.

Ditto - we always do what you're doing and do not bring a carseat. Love the CARES - and partially because it makes my 3 year old believe he cannot get up. ;)

To the OP... DME and DCL buses do not have seat belts so you are unable to secure a car seat in either. Since you don't forsee using a smaller vehicle w/ seat belts, using the CARES harness on the plane and skipping the car seat is probably your best bet.

About the CARES harness...
It is a great option if you will be flying often enough to use it. It is pricey ($65.95 on Amazon) so if you will only be flying once or twice while your child is between 22 and 44lbs (and 40" tall), it may not be the most affordable option for you.

For us, ds only flew at 2yo (31lbs) and 4.5yo (46 lbs) so it really didn't make financial sense to purchase for just one trip. Just as easy to take his car seat w/ us to use on the plane and then put it under the DME bus and in the corner or our resort room during our trip.

If you travel often and don't need to use a car seat at your destination...the CARES harnesse is a great alternative to bringing a car seat!:thumbsup2

To the OP... DME and DCL buses do not have seat belts so you are unable to secure a car seat in either. Since you don't forsee using a smaller vehicle w/ seat belts, using the CARES harness on the plane and skipping the car seat is probably your best bet.

It is a great option if you will be flying often enough to use it. It is pricey ($65.95 on Amazon) so if you will only be flying once or twice while your child is between 22 and 44lbs (and 40" tall), it may not be the most affordable option for you.

For us, ds only flew at 2yo (31lbs) and 4.5yo (46 lbs) so it really didn't make financial sense to purchase for just one trip. Just as easy to take his car seat w/ us to use on the plane and then put it under the DME bus and in the corner or our resort room during our trip.

If you travel often and don't need to use a car seat at your destination...the CARES harnesse is a great alternative to bringing a car seat!:thumbsup2

Excellent point but we are fortunate enough to have friends who are splitting it with us since they are flying to WDW a few months before our cruise. So the $35 cost was very worth it!

Excellent point but we are fortunate enough to have friends who are splitting it with us since they are flying to WDW a few months before our cruise. So the $35 cost was very worth it!

I had read that you already had the harness...just wanted to share all the considerations for those that weren't familiar w/ the harness.

As a car seat tech I think the CARES harness is really great alternative for parents, I just wish it was a more affordable alternative! :cool:

We are using the DCL transportation as well. You can not use a carseat on these buses, so it makes no sense to bring one. :)

I wish that CARES were more affordable, I would love to have one for our flight, but the cost is just outrageous. Too bad the airlines wouldn't have them for parents to rent even.

We found ours, brand new, on EBAY for $30. There were also quite a few rental options on ebay, for alot less.

We love CARES too! I bought it when my 1st was a toddler & he used it on a few vacations. Now my 2nd is using it, I feel the $65 is so worth it.
You don't need a car seat w/DCL transfers. We won't bring ours. We also don't plan on renting cars or taking taxis either.

A rental option would be a great idea. Too bad the airlines haven't thought of that yet....

We didn't bring carseats for our kids when we did the eastern carribbean cruise. We stayed at the airport hotel, used DCL transport and walked (didn't use transportation) at each port. So we never needed one.

A rental option would be a great idea. Too bad the airlines haven't thought of that yet....

I've heard a few interviews w/ the grandmother that invented it and her intention was to sell it directly to the airlines.

Apparently they were all gung ho for it (and it looked like they would be the primary purchaser) and then they all backed away from it.

At that point she took it straight to parents.

I agree, it would be nice if they had them available for any child under 44lbs on every flight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter