Traveling with Camera Question

magicLAL12

Mouseketeer
I just recently received a Nikon d5100 as a gift and am planning to bring it with me for my upcoming trip to Disney....

Please, please forgive me if this sounds really stupid, but I was wondering if there are any precautions I need to take while traveling with such a camera on me?

I have already purchased a sturdy/padded camera bag- so scratches/bumps aren't so much my concern. I am mainly wondering whether I will need to take the camera out for security? Should I leave the battery and/or memory card out of the camera (like is there the potential for damage from the x-rays?)

Thanks so much! :thumbsup2

I routinely put my camera bag through the x-ray with no problem... memory cards, batteries, etc, all go right through.

We have two camera bags packed with gear with tripods attached to the sides. TSA has never questioned or opened either bag.

Like other have said, I wouldn't worry about the X-ray machine.

The only other thing I would do is make sure that you have your camera on you at all times. In my case my personal bag was used for my DSLR (in smaller camera bag), p&s camera, GoPro, netbook, ipad, and all my cables, batteries, cards. Etc. I had ip under my plane seat so I knew it was always safe.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

Like other have said, I wouldn't worry about the X-ray machine.

The only other thing I would do is make sure that you have your camera on you at all times. In my case my personal bag was used for my DSLR (in smaller camera bag), p&s camera, GoPro, netbook, ipad, and all my cables, batteries, cards. Etc. I had ip under my plane seat so I knew it was always safe.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

Thanks for the tip! I was planning on using my personal bag for my camera and similar accessories. Thanks :)

Congrats on your new camera.

Do yourself a favor...go buy a comfortable neck strap. IMHO the one that comes with the camera is average at best. You want to maximize your comfort when walking around all day with your new toy.

Also don't forget extra memory cards and batteries. You would hate to miss the shot of a lifetime because your camera was out of juice or your memory card ran out of space.

Have fun!! :thumbsup2

Congrats on your new camera.

Do yourself a favor...go buy a comfortable neck strap. IMHO the one that comes with the camera is average at best. You want to maximize your comfort when walking around all day with your new toy.

Also don't forget extra memory cards and batteries. You would hate to miss the shot of a lifetime because your camera was out of juice or your memory card ran out of space.

Have fun!! :thumbsup2

Good advice- thank you! I already bought myself a more comfortable strap, thanks! :)

You may want to call your insurance agent and get a rider to cover photo gear. For things like theft your homeowners policy may cover it but a rider covers a lot more for not a lot more $$$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter