• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Update Traveling to the WORLD Thanksging. Would my fun loving dvcers do this?

yeahdisney

DIS Veteran
Flights were $49 one way, DH said let's go. So a trip was born DVC is/was booked up. So we wound up with:
Caribbean beach two nights no dvc open for thanksgiving nite $596 total.
AKL kidani two night studio savanna view, wait listed the first prior two nights
AKL kidani three nights one bedroom standard ( wait listed the studio for 1 bedroom)

We have traveled this time in the past wait listed and nothing became available. Kids are teenagers, we will travel each with one roll on. We will make no dining ressies. I prefer not to move but it gonna have to happen. If dvc becauses available we will stay with dvc the whole trip BUT if not would you trade for the following.

One night royal pacific $314. Thanksgiving at Universal/adventure island with express pass.
One night AKL standard view studio cash $345. Savanna view gone baby gone.
Two nights AKL studio savanna view
Three nights AKL one bedroom. We would keep the wait list in place.

Four moves. We would leave everything in the roll ons.

I had a trip with 3 different 2 day segments and decided never again. You are getting "settled in" before the 1st night, and packing back up before the 2nd night.

Some can handle it just fine, but it's tough if you prefer more in-room relaxation time.

Yikes, not my idea of a good time, I'd sooner stay home than do that. But I'm not a split-stay sorta guy at all. I wouldn't move for anything less than 4 or 5 days.
I hope your waitlist comes through though, it's a nice time to visit WDW. :earsboy:

We just pieced a trip together with five nights at five different resorts. While I wouldn't want to do that every trip, we actually had a really good time. The key to make it easier for us was bringing down an extra duffel bag that we threw dirty laundry in. We also kept a separate backpack prepared with swim suits because our room wasn't always available in the morning. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your plans, but if you haven't been to universal before I would wait to do that during a less busy time of year.

Any day at a DVC is a blessing. You just have to be willing to accept the fact that you are booking on short (DVC short) notice, over a holiday time frame, and during the busiest DVC time of the year at this point. Any trip that you can piece together that fulfills your requirement is good, maybe not the best that you would choose but it can be enjoyable. You and your family will need to have a more go with the flow type trip and those can be some of the most spontaneous. Have fun and enjoy the trip.

I like your spirit of adventure! At least the majority of your changes are at the same resort allowing you to leave your bags with bell services. Have a great trip we go every year for Thanksgiving week - giving Poly a try this year.

Its like touring Europe, you live out of your luggage and sleep in a different bed every night or every few nights. It isn't a big deal.

Have your kids done Universal before? My kids think its a way better park for teens and with Thanksgiving crowds, I'd do two nights - even with Express Passes - they don't work for the Harry Potter stuff and you'll spend half a day standing in line for that easy.

We have done universal before. We can get thru both parks in one day.
We like typhoon lagoon, we are going to check the weather and go there the best weather day. We are going to go to MVMCP, that day we normally sleep in, swim and arrive for 4pm. My supper will be a stuffed cream cheese pretzel and a dole whip.
If we get all DVC we will not go to Universal, we will not go there that week without express pass. I would even pretty happily take one night universal, 3 nights same studio, 3 nights one bedroom.
Luckily DH is the only one who would like a turkey meal Thanksging, but if we are at universal we will not get that meal. We will have thanksgiving at our house before we leave.

Update. Last night I was able to get first night AKL jambo studio savannah view from the website. Today I added jambo value room that is what was available for cash. Two days ago sat became available one bedroom so we now have four nights kidani.
Today I ordered MVMCP tickets with rewards points.
Hoping wait list comes thru for Friday night one bedroom, that would give us 5 nights kidani. And hoping wait list comes thru for second night studio or cash that would give two nights jambo, only one move.
And we made 11am breakfast ressie for boma for thanksgiving, they serve ham DH will be happy and I will count it as lunch and the thanksgiving meal.
We will most likely not go to universal.

Sounds like a great trip! We do split stays all the time, don't find them much of a hassle at all. I'd be all over those bargain flights! Enjoy!

Woo who another update. This am I saw a night open. Called to she if I could get cash savanna view yet. She said ur wait list came thru for it! Thanksgiving nite! And I was able to switch savanna view for the last night from kidani to jambo. We now have 3 nights jambo studio savanna. 4 nights kidani one bedroom only one move and I got to use my points. The original was almost $700 for Caribbean beach for two nights. Our move day is our down day, swimming if we can.

Congrats - sounds like everything worked out for the best. We have never done split stays, we have always gone during "off" peak times. Yes, we have pulled our DD out of school to do this.

We just got back from a week at BWV. Our DD is starting middle school this year, and I was no longer comfortable pulling her out of school. It was not the time of year I wanted to go, as I love summer here in upstate NY. I prefer to go in late October, we have Food and Wine festival, and it gives us a feel of an extended summer, as the weather begins to get colder in late October. But, we went with it, and I had a blast, and looking back, we are very happy we got to go, we were thinking we might not do WDW this year.

We are going to have to start thinking differently. I always swore I would not go during school vacations, so I guess we will have to figure something else out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter