Traveling for work

addicted_to_WDW

<font color="darkorchid">He's a teenaged skate rat
I work in law enforcement, and have just been told that I'll be traveling in July. I won't know the location or the dates until the last minute.

The very first thing I thought of was, "uh oh, this is going to make Atkins hard." Unfortunately, you eat when scheduled and for the most part everything is brought in. The days will be long and I won't have much of a chance to get out and get other things to eat. Bringing food (other than canned meats) will be very difficult. What do you do in cases like this?

You won't have a fridge available? I was going to suggest taking individually wrapped string cheese if you had a fridge available.

I weigh one ounce snack bags of pecans, smokehouse almonds and macadamia nuts and send them with my husband when he is in situations like this, he's not in law enforcement but he does travel a lot. That way he always has an Atkins friendly snack available. I do the same thing with sunflower seeds.

Do you like slim Jims? They are individually wrapped and perfect for travelling.

My husband has found that whatever he is served he can find something to eat that is on plan, even at a banquet. It may not be the menu he planned but he can work around it.

He has been known to remove the bread from tuna sandwiches, the buns from hamburgers and he has even scraped the breading off fried fish, shrimp and chicken.

If you like any of the low carb bars, take a few with you in case of emergency. If nothing else you can eat a low carb bar as a meal replacement.

I think with a plan you are going to do fine. We just need a plan. Be sure and take a few packets or a bottle or low carb salad dressing just in case you are lucky enough to have a salad while you are away :)

I'm sure our WISH Atkins pals have even more suggestions for you. I'll keep thinking and see if I can't come up with more :)

Katholyn

Katholyn, you are the most helpful person alive. Thank you. :)

I don't know if I'll have a fridge or not...don't know where I'm going or where I'm staying! I plan on taking a small cooler for the first day, but while I'm working it will be too impractical to carry.

I'll be like your husband and just make do when I have to.

I've been in similar situations and I've generally been able to work around them. I'm not on Atkins, but it's kind of similar in the sense that carbs are limited. I can eat lettuce, veggies, and fruit in limited quantities.

I take protein bars and beef jerky with me. They help to satisfy any sweet cravings I might have. If I go to a buffet, I just steer clear of rice, potatoes, and pasta. If a meal is served, generally there is a starch, which I just don't eat, and there'll be a salad, veggie, and protein, which I can eat. I've been lucky sometimes where we'll go to a restaurant and I have a little more flexibility in what to order. (I even inspired someone to order a salad!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter