Traveling alone with my son.. question about Castaway Cay

crashed

Earning My Ears
Hello! My son (7) and I are booked on our next Disney cruise for next April. Last time, we didn't stop in Castaway Cay, and we didn't visit any beaches - I'm not really a beach person. But I definitely want to get off and do some swimming and snorkeling in Castaway Cay.

I'm wondering how to handle the alone portion of this with regard to leaving my bag/cards/etc. on the beach while I'm in the water with my son. I will have to bring a bag off the boat with me to carry sunscreen, goggles, my KTTW card, and maybe my debit card/cash (or is everything paid for with the KTTW card?). Do I just leave my stuff on a beach chair and hope nobody takes it? Should I be concerned about anyone moving/touching my things?

Thanks!

We haven't had any trouble just leaving our stuff at our chair. I usually leave my towels on the chair and put my bag in between the two chairs. Everything on the Island is charged to your KTTW card so no need to take a cc card. The only thing that you would need cash for is if you want to mail something at the post office.

You might want to search threads for the KYSS bag. I bought one based on what people said here. Can't wait to use it this summer!

We've never had problems but I always worry about leaving my phone and/or camera. I bought a KYSS bag and feel safer using that. NO bag is truly theft proof, but it's a deterrent. I keep things locked inside it, then lock the bag onto my lounge chair on the beach.

Those KYSS bags look great! And they're not terribly hideous. ;) My camera is another reason I get worried about leaving stuff out. This is the perfect solution. Thanks!

We were in the same situation (I was traveling with my 7yo son with no other adults who can take turns watching over stuff). I decided that it's more important to keep an eye on my kid and have fun, rather than worrying about stuff - so most of our bulkier things (snorkel gear, beach toys, etc.) I left unattended at various times of the day in a zipped up colorful beach bag next to a chair on the family beach - everything was still there when we got back to the chair each time from our stingray excursion, snorkeling, and lunch. It would be a bummer but not disasterous if somebody decided to take our beach bag, but the print was pretty bold and unique (i.e. very recognizable even from a distance) so I thought that helped a bit as a deterrent.

I did bring a little cash (for postcard/stamp at the post office) along with our KTTW cards in a waterproof pouch on a lanyard around my neck - it wasn't a hassel for swimming/snorkeling as I could tuck it under the mandatory life vest. I left my "good" camera in the stateroom, but did bring a waterproof one with a floating wrist strap - that went with me EVERYWHERE as I didn't want to miss the many photo opportunities on CC. Got some cool underwater videos of the stingrays too:-)

Witz brand waterproof case from a lanyard (you can get them from amazon). KTTW and driver's license (yes you need photo ID for the adults even on Castaway). Waterproof camera.

Any bag just has sunscreen and a book or something (though if I'm the sole adult with a kid I'm not bringing a book) and I'm cool leaving it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter