Travel Warning

Here's how worried I am. I'm heading to Israel for a Holy Land trip in January.

My mother isn't happy, but the travel company that we're going with has ben doing year round trips to Israel for fifty years and never had an incident. I'll take that track record.
My niece got stuck in a bomb shelter overnight in Isreal summer before last trying to return from her summer archeology course - the military took over some of the runways when the bombing started but she made it home, late but safe.
My son got stuck in S. America when 911 happened and they stopped all flights for several days, but he made it back too.
I do plan to arrive @ SFO early when I fly to MCO in 2 weeks as I expect TSA will be on high alert and thus take longer than usual. I'm more concerned about delayed planes caused by winter weather, one year we arrived at WDW over 24 hr.s late due to weather.

:cool1:

(Really, really hoping none of us die in the next few days.)

Funny...I always give my family a stern warning about doing anything risky in the days leading up to a WDW trip..."No skateboarding, No gymnastics, Slow down on those stairs, chew your food well, etc...I can't have them mucking up my WDW plans :)

Last edited:
I'm here now and bag checks have been much more thorough than they have been in the past in my experience. I have also seen more security around and many with dogs. I think Disney is upping security measures and although I still remain alert, I feel very safe here.

I'm not going to let fear stop me from living my life, that's exactly what they want.

Funny...I always give me family a stern warning about doing anything risky in the days leading up to a WDW trip..."No skateboarding, No gymnastics, Slow down on those stairs, chew your food well, etc...I can't have them mucking up my WDW plans :)

I know, eh? Even my husband's like, "Oops, my blood pressure's a bit high. I think I'll eat porridge for breakfast, from now until we fly out." (We were waiting for our flu shots at the drug store and the only thing around to entertain us was the free blood pressure machine.) :laughing:

I think it's entirely possible - and responsible - to be aware and alert without being fearful. Not taking unnecessary risks (and I do not mean canceling vacations) does not mean one is "living in fear".

I'm just thinking what a PITA it's going to be going through security at the airport more than anything. We're leaving an extra hour earlier just because I think the TSA lines will be horrendous.

This! If you want to worry about something, worry about dealing with crowds, rude people, whether the person in front of you on the plane is going to recline the whole flight to Orlando, whether the flight attendant is going to spill a drink on you, that they run short of the little bags of stale pretzels, there will be a toddler in the seat next to you who will stand in their seat and blow on you, or that the airline might lose your luggage. Your concerns about these issues are certainly merited.;)

Like most people have said, I won't let fear rule me. I could die tomorrow in any number of ways, so I'm going to live my life as I see fit, including going to Disney. I'm more concerned about the horrendous amt of people there than I am about anything bad happening. Disney's got a pretty good handle on it I feel.

This sounds morbid, but I'm more worried about going to see Star Wars on opening night after the awful Dark Knight tragedy. I really didn't think too much about it at Disney last month. We saw lots of bomb sniffing dogs and they're pretty thorough with those bag checks.

I am always a little nervous when it comes to close quarters like movie theaters. The monorail and other transportation scares me a little, but the parks themselves really don't. We are leaving Saturday and aren't any more worried than we would've been prior to the alert. Disney is my happy place, and I refuse to let anyone take that from me! So excited!!:)

This.... I just posted about seeing Star Wars on opening night, and today I took my daughter to Chick Fil A and found myself thinking about how we'd get out if a lone wacko or group of wackos suddenly started shooting.

This sounds morbid, but I'm more worried about going to see Star Wars on opening night after the awful Dark Knight tragedy. I really didn't think too much about it at Disney last month. We saw lots of bomb sniffing dogs and they're pretty thorough with those bag checks.

Now I'm worried about Star Wars opening night too! Honestly though where I live I'm more worried about hitting a deer driving home from the theater.

DW and I traveled right after 9/11 , flew. We live by faith and the way I(we) look at it is if you stop living the terrorist win. And I for one will not stop living in fear !!!!! Yes, as always you need to be aware of your surroundings ,but don't stop living !!!!

I've had an uncomfortable feeling about Black Friday ever since the Paris attacks took place. It doesn't help that DH was in a mall just this month when shooting broke out and the gate of the store he was in was closed and he called me as he was heading out the back corridors of the mall and walking around the outside to return to his car. He has a 30-plus year old tradition of Black Friday shopping with a group of friends that he has no intention of skipping. I don't expect him to and I'm sure he'll be fine, but I'm uneasy all the same. I don't Black Friday shop, but I will be headed to the store with the largest craft beer selection in the metro area so that I can buy his gifts and unload them without his being home and aware of where they're hidden.

I've always considered a Disney attack about as high an anti American propaganda attack as possible. Hadn't given the movie premiere a thought, but given the extreme hype that's probably a ripe target as well at this point. I've got to move on to happier threads this afternoon in my mood.

I can't stop traveling now. I work in the travel industry. I can't life in fear.

We arrive at WDW this Friday & I'm concerned about the travel warning issued. Although it emphasizes travel abroad, it does mention crowded locations & events here in the US. Anyone else worried about upcoming travel?
Not at all. The only event I might think twice about would be the Superbowl. Lots of tv coverage and lots of people in one place. But after I thought about it twice, if I was lucky enough to score tickets, I would be there.

Glad and proud to see so many of you standing tall and strong in the wake of these new threats . And for those of you who are still having difficulty dealing with this I fully understand HOWEVER I ask that whenever you start to think about what could happen and you start to get afraid I want you to think about my 343 FDNY brothers who died at the World Trade Center on 9/11....men who went towards the danger to try and help others... or the 37 members of the PAPD....or the 23 NYPD Officers who did the same . Or maybe the brave men and women of our armed forces who have given their lives protecting and defending our freedom....DO NOT ALLOW TERRORISTS TO TERRORIZE YOU OR YOUR FAMILY... Honor the memories of all these men and women by staying strong and vigilant ...Thank you . GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Nope. Not worried.

I refuse to live my life in 'fear' of what ifs and maybes. That's no way to live. And, frankly, the odds of me dying in a traffic accident are much higher anyway....rationally, that's a fact. Yet, somehow we all learn to live with that risk of dying. I think we need to learn to live with this one and stop being so fearful.

I won't say I never feel nervous---but I stop and look at it logically when I do and do not let the fear overtake me or stop me from living my life and travelling to the many places we are always travelling.

Unfortunately I believe targeting a place like WDW would have a significant effect as far as spreading fear...kind of like targeting the Statue of Liberty or the Golden Gate Bridge....iconic places that people hold dear in their hearts. I don't really think about it while I'm there, but it does cross my mind every now then. I know they say it's not the security you do see but the security you don't see at WDW, but sometimes I wonder :worried:

These are my thoughts, too but I was too worried about typing them "out loud."

That said - driving to the grocery store is statistically more dangerous.

Good thing DH and i are such homebodies. DD and her DH are in Spain right now, returning Saturday night, and my DSis has tickets to watch the Rose Parade on New Years Day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter