Travel Insurance?

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by epicureangirl, Jan 31, 2003.

1. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Mouseketeer

Has anyone out there found any terrific deals on travel insurance (medical coverage)? So far it seems like the CAA rates are the best -- has anyone done better?

Thanks (in advance) for any tips!

Cheers.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sammi

sammi <font color=purple>I'm a born traveller!<br><font

I just called our credit union yesterday and they gave me a rate of $1.80 each per day (which turned out for our 24 day stay in March) saving us about $24.00 versus CAA's rates.:) :bounce: :Pinkbounc

4. NancyK

NancyK DIS Veteran

I've found in the past that getting CAA insurance for a year isn't much more money than buying from another company for two weeks. Last year, we got insurance for the four of us for a total of approximately $130 for the entire year. It's a great deal if you're going to the States more than once in the year.

5. bunnyfoo

bunnyfoo <font color=red>It's Monday and my mind was somewh

Sometimes travel insurance is included if you have health insurance ... I think it's included on the plan that I have at work. I'm still planning on purchasing travel/medical insurance because we might be switching plans...

6. epicureangirl

epicureangirl Mouseketeer

Thanks, for the info so far.

I tried a few places and CAA did seem like a good deal. I actually get 500K coverage through my company health-plan, but the insurance rep said they always recommend at least a million when going to the US (especially with the exchange rate I guess!).

Do you think that's going overboard, or is 500k enough?

7. lilsonicfan

lilsonicfan <font color=teal>The TF knows Canada VERY well!!<b

I tend to think that where your health or the health of your family is in question - the extra money spent on insurance is totally worth it. Healthcare in the states is as we all know ridiculously expensive - it would be horrible to have anything happen and have to worry about not being covered. As always, just an opinion :)

8. mom_rules

mom_rules <font color=FF66FF>LOVES the Yachtsmen!<br><font c

Also try your homeowner's policy-I had a rider added to mine
    good for one full year all members of my family-covers health,
    accident, life and baggage and limited trip cancellation- for
    $54 for the year, unlimited trips out of province - up to 30
    days each trip.