Travel Insurance

...Everyone buys trip insurance for different reasons...

My basic point is that that you don't have to make sure that every single little thing is insured. To do so is a waste of your financial resources. You should purchase insurance to cover risks that you can't affort to take, and self-insure for risks you CAN affort to take.

Now obviously everyone's situation is different, and what is an affordable risk to take for one isn't an affordable risk to take for another.

For me personally, the typical expenses related to an average delayed/canceled flight (meals, a hotel stay) is something I can affort. So rather than spending additional money to make sure I have insurance to cover these expenses, I'm going to take the risk myself and pocket the insurance money.

By contrast, cross country plane tickets for a large family, the cost of a cruise, medical expenses incurred while out of the country, and evacuation costs in the event of an emergency are examples of costs that are very significant and therefore I'm going to pay someone else to take that risk for me.

I guess in the grander scheme of things, I'm saying... make sure your house has fire insurance, because can you really afford to replace your whole house if it burns to the ground? Of the flip side, you should turn down the offer to insure your $40 toaster oven for $5 they will likely ask you about when you buy it... after all if the toaster goes belly-up after a year, you can likely afford to replace the toaster at your own expense.

Of course this is ignoring part of what nails62040 is basically saying... that when it comes to travel insurance, it's not neccesarily "a-la-cart", and that you can possibly get travel insurance that will cover the big and little things for about the same money that you can get travel insurance to cover just the big things... you obviously have to comparison shop to get the most for your money.

We learned the lesson that "you get what you pay for". My husband got seriously injured half way through our 7-day cruise and spent the second half in bed hooked up to an I.V. and being watched very closely by the doctors who were trying to decide if he should be evacuated off ship, and I was caring for him, talking to the doctors....etc. Our trip was ruined. We had trip insurance and filed a claim when we got back. We were reimbursed for our medical expenses but were denied any compensation for "interrupted trip" because the travel insurance company would only pay out if he were evacuated off the ship, otherwise they said that he remained on board and thus our trip was not "interrupted". I was told that the Disney plan does compensate people who become ill and/or are limited/confined to their room for illness/injury. I really wish I had spent a few extra bucks and got the better plan.

Better plan is subjective to the person with the loss. As mentioned the DCL insurance didn't cover the loss in the OPs example, but would have done better for you. Disney is usually never a better plan, except in a limited situation such as your example. Other private plans would also cover your scenario had you been able to foresee that.

My basic point is that that you don't have to make sure that every single little thing is insured. To do so is a waste of your financial resources. You should purchase insurance to cover risks that you can't affort to take, and self-insure for risks you CAN affort to take.

Now obviously everyone's situation is different, and what is an affordable risk to take for one isn't an affordable risk to take for another.

For me personally, the typical expenses related to an average delayed/canceled flight (meals, a hotel stay) is something I can affort. So rather than spending additional money to make sure I have insurance to cover these expenses, I'm going to take the risk myself and pocket the insurance money.

By contrast, cross country plane tickets for a large family, the cost of a cruise, medical expenses incurred while out of the country, and evacuation costs in the event of an emergency are examples of costs that are very significant and therefore I'm going to pay someone else to take that risk for me.

I guess in the grander scheme of things, I'm saying... make sure your house has fire insurance, because can you really afford to replace your whole house if it burns to the ground? Of the flip side, you should turn down the offer to insure your $40 toaster oven for $5 they will likely ask you about when you buy it... after all if the toaster goes belly-up after a year, you can likely afford to replace the toaster at your own expense.

I don't know if this information would help anyone, but when we were pricing out insurance - I added up my incidentals should something go wrong i.e., hotel, airfare, ground transportation, etc. The insurance that we purchased was bracketed (i.e., up to $3000.00 was one price, the next bracket was like $6000.00 for about $20.00 more etc.) and the price didn't go up until we hit the next bracket level. So always price out what you think you will lose in an unforeseen event and discuss it with the representative. Chances are, those small incidentals will be covered and you can afford to include them in the total vacation costs.

But 2 points you made here don't apply to the OP. First off, the DCL coverage is WAY more expensive than insurance that you purchase from an outside vendor. It is actually more economical to cover the entire trip than to purchase DCL's coverage. For what she spent for that insurance, I'd expect more coverage, also. Secondly, you mention covering big things like cross-country airfare. The airfare was also not covered by the DCL insurance, as it wasn't purchased via DCL. DCL's insurance offers no coverage for your travel to and from the cruise unless you purchase those travel arrangements through DCL. The point is really that DCL's insurance ONLY covers what you purchase from DCL, and not your travel to and from the cruise. If something had happened, and the person the OP overheard had totally missed their flight, they would have been out all the money for that flight, or for the money it would have cost to re-book.

Sayhello

I know that travel insurance is based on the amount that you pay for your trip. When I compared Disney to the other insurance company, my husband and I saved about $80.00 and had almost twice the coverage.

When purchasing travel insurance privately, the cost is based on the age of the traveler, the location you are visiting, and where you live (since state laws impact insurance coverage) and the amount of coverage you purchase. When purchasing thru DCL, the price is determined by the length of the cruise only. While I have not viewed each category, I don't believe this impacts the cost of the insurance thru DCL (so it's not based on age of guest or on amount of coverage purchased).

In general, coverage thru DCL is more expensive than thru private companies. It does NOT cover any pre-existing conditions, and covers only what was booked thru DCL. Thus, if you buy DCL air, you will have the air covered. If you buy DCL insurance but do your air privately, the air will not be covered.

One instance where DCL insurance MAY be less expensive is when there is an elderly guest or guests in a more expensive cabin. However, the elderly guest may be the very one who NEEDS pre-existing conditions covered.

One cannot lump all private coverage together--each company and each policy is different. You just have to read the fine print and make sure you get the coverage that works best for you.

Yes, we each choose to purchase travel insurance for different reasons. The goal is to get the coverage that best provides for those reasons given your situation.

...First off, the DCL coverage is WAY more expensive than insurance that you purchase from an outside vendor....

That statement, in and of itself, should be self evident (well, I don't know about the WAY part). After all, DCL has a captive audience and makes it extreamly easy to purchase it's insurance. Those two forces combined would seem to scream "you will be paying more than you need to for this" (or at least that's what my cynic veiw of modern marketing tells me).

Now one thing that is great about the DCL sold insurance (at least the way is was handled the last time I had booked a trip)... if you cancel your trip outside the penalty window, you get your insurance money back. I don't think you can get a similar deal with an outside vendor can you? (or can you?).

Most private insurance vendors will allow you one change of dates. No, you can't cancel the policy if you cancel the trip.

The reason that DCL allows you to cancel and get the insurance money back up to the penalty date is that THEY don't purchase the insurance until the penalty date. That's at least part of why pre-existing conditions aren't covered by their policy--the policy may not be purchased till months after the trip is booked!

DCL is not the insurer--they are a broker. They purchase coverage for their guests thru Access America. However, you can purchase a policy privately thru Access America....at lower rates than DCL charges in most cases.

However, you can purchase a policy privately thru Access America....at lower rates than DCL charges in most cases.
and I would add ... more comprehensive/better coverage.

From what I understand, it can cost you plenty to be airlifted off the ship. .

If you are doing a Med cruise, or Trans-Atlantic, this could be an issue. HOWEVER, I have posed this question many times over the years here, and nobody has every confirmed they have EVER been charged for an air evacaution on any of the Disney routes on the Wonder or Magic out of Orlando. If you are a U.S. citizen, the U.S. Coast Guard will airlift you free of charge. A co-worker had his appendix erupt 2/3 of the way back from Hawaii enroute to San Diego on the Amsterdam. The U.S. Coast Guard sent 2 helicopters (they told him the second was a backup in case the first crashed!!!) and a refueling aircraft 800 miles out from San Diego, and then 1,000 miles back to Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto. No charge.

Thats pretty awesome that the coast guard would do that free of charge (although some would say that in the long run we pay for that privilege through our federal taxes). I've only heard stories of people having to pay anywhere from 8-10,000 to be airlifted off the ship. Which is another good reason to have the insurance.

Thats pretty awesome that the coast guard would do that free of charge (although some would say that in the long run we pay for that privilege through our federal taxes). I've only heard stories of people having to pay anywhere from 8-10,000 to be airlifted off the ship. Which is another good reason to have the insurance.

I have heard stories too, and I can see that happening say in Madrid, but if you are a U.S. citizen are in reach of a U.S. territory, the Coast Guard will airlift you.

....DCL is not the insurer--they are a broker. They purchase coverage for their guests thru Access America. However, you can purchase a policy privately thru Access America....at lower rates than DCL charges in most cases.

and I would add ... more comprehensive/better coverage.

Yep! We went with Access America thru insuremytrip.com and covered the 4 of us at $78 (TOTAL) compared to a lesser AA policy via DCL for $236!

We have always booked our insurance with Disney since we book everything else with them. What exactly are you all paying that makes disney so expensive? I have never looked at other prices myself, but never felt we were being ripped off either.

I can only assume you are paying for the convenience of Disney!! :confused3 I've always said, Disney's not cheap, but Disney does things right!! And there's a trust people have in Disney that they feel Disney is the safe way to go for insurance also!!

If I purchased insurance through DCL for the 4 of us it would cost me $436.00. I checked through Access America, online and by phone (just the random company I called) and it would cost $188.00. Personally, I like the $248.00 difference in my pocket, it's like a $248.00 onboard incentive credit for buying insurance elsewhere!! :rotfl2:

(The person I spoke to on the phone was very helpful and not at all pushy!! I'll be calling them back!! Sorry, I just had to add that!!)

this thread is a bit old...so just bumping to see if anyone has any recent thoughts or experiences w/buying trip insurance! Thanks!

We always purchase our travel insurance through www.tripinsurancestore.com

There is a 1-800 number you can call and talk to them - let them know what your travel plans include and they can help you decide on which insurance plan is the best. They have always been very helpful - they follow up with you and answer any questions you may have prior to leaving for your vacation. The rates are very reasonable.

When I'm spending money for a Disney vacation or a cruise, I almost always purchase insurance. I know alot of people think that it may be a waste of money - but for my peace of mind...it's worth it.

Karen

I agree that everyone has their own reasons for purchasing insurance. I chose to insure thru DCL [even tho it was not the cheapest] because even if you cancel last minute even for a reason that is not not covered by the plan, DCL WILL CREDIT 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future cruise. I honestly don't want my money back if we had to cancel, I really want my cruise back! And I know my DH would not re-book [spend the money again] if something went amiss the first time!!

I agree that everyone has their own reasons for purchasing insurance. I chose to insure thru DCL [even tho it was not the cheapest] because even if you cancel last minute even for a reason that is not not covered by the plan, DCL WILL CREDIT 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future cruise. I honestly don't want my money back if we had to cancel, I really want my cruise back! And I know my DH would not re-book [spend the money again] if something went amiss the first time!!
This is an excellent reason to buy through DCL if a credit for a future cruise is a reasonable reimbursement for you. The other thing to keep in mind though, is if you did not purchase your airfare through DCL, their insurance will not cover it. DCL insurance only covers what you purchase through DCL. If you did buy your airfare through DCL, or were planning to drive, then you're good to go.

Sayhello

Many people are confused about air being covered mainly because if you purchase insurance to cover your Disney World trip your air IS covered even if purchased by you not as part f your DW package. That's why I think many people think the air is covered on the insurance through DCL.

Many people are confused about air being covered mainly because if you purchase insurance to cover your Disney World trip your air IS covered even if purchased by you not as part f your DW package. That's why I think many people think the air is covered on the insurance through DCL.
Really? That's surprising. I did not know that. Disney sold insurance doesn't cover air for ABD or DCL (unless the airfare is purchased through them). I wonder why they cover it for WDW but not for the others?

Sayhello

On the other hand, the very valid point that was made was than when you book airfare seperate from your cruise, and then purchase the optional insurance offered by DCL, your air-fare isn't included. So if something goes terribly wrong and you are unable to complete your trip, you're at the mercy of the airline and what ever their policy is regarding non-refundable tickets.

This is the exact reason why we fly in the day before and get a room for the night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter