Travel insurance - which to get and how much to pay

Has anyone used or heard of RoamRight? I used squaremouth.com and they came up with a very competitive quote. :cool1: But I can't find any reviews or outside information on them. They are rated A+ with A.M. Best which apparently is a legit rating company. :confused3 I know very little about travel insurance but their quote is tempting compared to more popular brands.

I also found http://www.squaremouth.com/. Similar to insuremytrip.com. They sell many of the same insurance products from the same companies, at the same prices. Only difference I can see is that their website seems a little friendlier and they seem to offer a few more options on their insurance products. I've used neither before, but think I'm going with squaremouth.com.

Has anyone used or heard of RoamRight? I used squaremouth.com and they came up with a very competitive quote. :cool1: But I can't find any reviews or outside information on them. They are rated A+ with A.M. Best which apparently is a legit rating company. :confused3 I know very little about travel insurance but their quote is tempting compared to more popular brands.
I have to admit, I've never heard of them. But then, I usually use www.insuremytrip.com or www.tripinsurancestore.com, and not www.squaremouth.com. I know a lot of people like squaremouth, so if they rate it highly, it's probably a good company. Just make sure it covers what you need it to.

Sayhello

ETA: I went and looked at squaremouth, and one thing to note about RoamRight's policies is that they have a $50 medical deductible *per occurrence*. So, if they're $30 cheaper than Travelex, the first time you use it, the $50 deductible negates that.

We booked our cruise and insurance with AAA. They offer a couple different insurances. We purchased Allianz for $229, that includes a special cancel due to work clause. This is for a 7 day cruise for 2 adults and 2 children. (I believe the kids were free on the insurance)

I went and looked at squaremouth, and one thing to note about RoamRight's policies is that they have a $50 medical deductible *per occurrence*. So, if they're $30 cheaper than Travelex, the first time you use it, the $50 deductible negates that.

Good point. There are a number of policies that are very close cost wise. Save a penny to spend a dime! Thanks for the thought!

I've heard travel insurance can be full of smoke and mirrors...you really have to look at the details. Its driiving me crazy. I'm almost to the point where I'll risk the loss of the trip costs just so I don't have to deal with insurance companies!! Not yet...but almost.

One thing I liked about the RoamRight was the pre existing conditions waver that was included. At the price I was looking, none of the others had it. I guess I have little reading to do tonight!

Its driiving me crazy. I'm almost to the point where I'll risk the loss of the trip costs just so I don't have to deal with insurance companies!! Not yet...but almost.

I know that feeling!!! I felt the same way before I landed with Squaremouth and a Travelex policy. Only time will tell if we made the right choice. Actually, I hope we never have to find out if we made the right choice.

To mammacaryn, for our last cruise we insured through Disney who use Allianz behind the scenes. When we had to cancel our trip due to hurricane Sandy, I found them very easy to work but they botched up the handling our claim, first sending it to the wrong area before finally having it routed to the Disney claims examiners. What should have taken 7 - 10 days took nearly 20, and then on top of that they denied our claim!! Fortunately we had the Disney Protection Plan which entitled us to a credit for a future cruise in the amount we would have lost, which would have been the full cost of our cruise since we canceled just 2 days before sailing. Any way, I hope you never have to use them, but if you do, I hope your experience is better than ours. Every situation is different so our situation could be the exception not the rule with them.

To brrabit, good luck with your decision. Let us know what you choose and what factors influenced your decision. Hopefully this can helps future cruisers facing the same decision.

We have used Travel Guard as well. While we never filed a claim, we did have to call on a few other issues and they were more than helpful! Also, if you happen to be a USAA member, they offer travel issurance too. The cost is compairable and you have up to 120 days to purchase the insurance after the initial deposit for pre-exisiting conditions (with the Gold plan).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!