Travel agent or self??

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by disneyjex, Feb 23, 2013.

1. disneyjex

disneyjex Earning My Ears

Was wondering who books with travel agents and who does it themselves. Any suggestions on agents just in case??

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lobofan5

Lobofan5 Mouseketeer

I might get shot for referring another travel agent on the Dreams Unlimited forum, but I use Lori at Small World Vacations because they were referred by Mousesavers and I haven't been disappointed.

We re-book onboard and then have the reservations transferred to her and we get both the Disney shipboard credit as well as the Small World Vacations shipboard credit.

**nervously looks for the lightning strike**

4. gatorfreud

gatorfreud DIS Veteran

I use a TA. Although most other travel I book myself.

Kim

5. McDonald5

McDonald5 Mouseketeer

I'm way too neurotic to let someone else research and book my vacation for me. lol. I did contact a friend of a friend who is a TA but she came back with the same price that I was going to be paying anyway if I just booked it myself. So, IMO, what's the point? AFAIK she wasn't offering any onboard credit or anything and like I said, I have been researching it for almost a year, myself. But if you are the kind of person that doesn't enjoy that sort of thing (doing the resarch) I'd say just use a TA and have them do all the leg-work for you.

6. DLW8

DLW8 DIS Veteran

i love to plan and research ANY vacations ( but especially Disney) but for my DCL trips, I use Beth Czada at Dreams Unlimited. She has been quick to respond to any email I send (and there were times when I kept changing dates/rooms). I book onboard and name her as my TA, so I get the Disney OBC offer as well as the one from DU. I also like that they started to leave gift bags in the rooms this past year. Just another small perk.

Even though the reservation is through DU, I can still go online to make my payments (to DU) and go on Disney's site to do my PAT and any excursion/dining reservations.

7. MNKelly

MNKelly Mouseketeer

I used Triple A when I booked my last cruise. No onboard credit, but about $120 worth of free photos from Shutters. Definately look into what the TA's are giving as bonus for booking through them. You can still do the research and then tell them exactly what you want. Don't miss out on anything extra you can get, it's expensive enough as is!

8. stmize

stmize Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 1

I do too.

9. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

We book all our DCL cruises through Dreams Unlimited (the sponsor of this section of the DIS) and have been very happy. Our Dreams TA is great and we get an extra On Board Credit for booking through them.

10. Luv2Diz

Luv2Diz We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I do the research. Once we've decided what we want, I call Costco Travel and have them book it so that we get the nice Costco cash card.

11. kalc12345

kalc12345 DIS Veteran

I don't use a TA. I like to have control over my reservation. If I want to make a change I don't want to have to get in touch with a TA and then wait for them to do it.

12. FJS961

FJS961 DIS Veteran

I used to book it all myself until I met a great TA who gives me a generous OBC as a thank you. I still do all the research but give her the booking. If you have the right person who is responsive and on the ball, not losing anything, only gaining

13. JimGA

JimGA DIS Veteran

I used Dream Unlimited and have been happy, I did all the research myself and found the room type I liked. I contacted Dreams Unlimited,they responded back with an assigned room number with a 5 day hold ont he room. I looked at the deck plans and liked it and booked it through them

We got $150 of free money in the form of SBC, also we booked during a DCL promotion and got $25 from DCl. So, in May we have $175 of free money waiting on us to spend, if we would have booked ourselves we would have only gotten the $25 from DCL.

i controlled everything about my booking, the only thing they did for me was to locate and hold a room based on my requests and deck preference and I have made all my payemnts through their website. I also got confimation emails from DCL with my reservation number from DCl so I can log into the DCL websote and check on my reservation and add items of interest to my profile.

Pretty good deal.

14. jilljill

jilljill <font color=blue>Collects Disney men!<br><font col

www.smallworldvacations.com
    www.mousesavers.com

Checking the board filters

15. jilljill

jilljill <font color=blue>Collects Disney men!<br><font col

When mentioning a TA that has a website you MUST post the full url of the TA's website to make sure it passes thru the DISboard filters! If the website comes up as www.************.com then that website is not allowed to be linked on DIS. If your post includes a website that comes up this way OR you use words instead of symbols to post the TA (such as www dot dreamsunlimited dot com) then your post will be removed and an infraction will be given. Also, any know website that is not allowed to be posted on DIS and is named without a website link will have the same results.

Thank you for your cooperation.

16. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Same here. Not only is planning and calling to make the reservation part of the fun for me, but I also like being able to call anytime and make a change (if need be) without having to call/email a TA and then wait for a response, all while wondering whether or not they were able to do it.

17. bsamps

bsamps Earning My Ears

Years ago I used a TA exclusively for all my travel arrangements and vacations. Back then it was different, with a lot more personal service and attention. I've tried a popular TA, but didn't like waiting for emails. The folks at Disney have always been accommodating when I call, plus the fact that I can look at everything online is an advantage. The onboard credit is really not worth it to me if I can't get the personal service that I'm use to with Disney personnel.

18. Magic3forme

Magic3forme Grand Slam club members

we rebook onboard, then transfer the reservation over to Dreams.. we like the extra OBC.

I do all the research myself, we rarely do excursions or need the help from the TA, but when I have emailed her, she responds right away. ( Tammy C from Dreams. :)

19. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Save an extra step - just specify Dreams as your TA when you rebook on board.

20. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Neurotic is a good word for those who book their own cruises. :rotfl2:

I don't have the time to deal with all that. Aways a travel agent for a cruise. I get an expert, at no charge, spending hours on hold for me, with access with the best discounts, hotel rates and air fares.

21. my3lilonkeyz

my3lilonkeyz Earning My Ears

I was trying to use our reular AAA TA when I seen the kids sail free promo but she couldn't get any rooms for a family of 5 by that time :( soooooo after talking to Disney Agent and them explaining that people hold rooms and they are released 3 days after they hold them at midnight I waited up and got exactly what I wanted. I then turned around and transferred to my AAA TA so I could get the photo package bonus. I do plan trips for family and friends and their regular TA can't usually get as low a price as I do. I have even had my uncles TA call and ask how I got the deal that I did. I think I found my calling and when my youngest starts preschool in the fall :) I want to be a TA. It's something that makes me happy!