Transportion from the Port to the airport

Bluestars

Smile and let the world wonder
We are cruising out of Port Canaveral on the Fantasy at the end of May. We are arriving the night before the cruise and booked private transportation to our hotel near the port.

Has anyone ever booked private transportation from the port to the airport? If so, what time do you schedule it? I have no idea how long it takes to get off of the ship. The only reason I am considering this is to arrive at the airport earlier than Disney's transportation.

Thanks.

We booked private transportation through All Seas Travel. The 10 passenger van was there waiting when we exited the cruise terminal, and took us right to the airport. It was about $150. Yes, it was less expensive to do a rental car, but we had an earlier flight, and this was totally hassle free. The year previous, we had to wait at the rental place for a van. Highly recommend private van if you have an earlier flight!

We booked private transportation through All Seas Travel. The 10 passenger van was there waiting when we exited the cruise terminal, and took us right to the airport. It was about $150. Yes, it was less expensive to do a rental car, but we had an earlier flight, and this was totally hassle free. The year previous, we had to wait at the rental place for a van. Highly recommend private van if you have an earlier flight!
Private transportation is a good option.

One time I rented a car, and it took awhile to board the rental car shuttle, then stand in line at the rental agency (along with other customers from the Disney ship and other cruise ships in port).

Woody

We are doing DCL transportation this time, but last time we rented a car with Hertz. Hertz is one of the most pricey of the car rental companies but you will find at both the airport and the port, there is no waiting for the shuttle. The cheaper car companies always have a long line and exasperated customers. It is a very easy drive back to the airport, although the Hertz location is offsite of the airport (just around the corner), they will drive you to the airport as well from the car drop off location. The only reason we aren't doing a rental car this time is 'cause we want to avoid worrying about the baby/carseat situation.

Thank you everyone for your responses. It looks like renting a car or private transportation will get us there a lot faster than using Disney's shuttle. If we book private transportation, what time should we tell them to pick us up? How quickly can we be off of the ship?

For car rental, how did you get to the car rental place from the port?

Thanks!

. . . The only reason I am considering this is to arrive at the airport earlier than Disney's transportation.

. . . It looks like renting a car or private transportation will get us there a lot faster than using Disney's shuttle.
Private transportation will get you to MCO faster than DCL transfers. But renting a car will take longer.

Woody

It depends if you have early or late dining. We had early dining, so we were picked up at at 8:15 am. Security was very busy, so I was glad we got to the airport early. Late dining will mean a later pick up. For our family of 5, private transportation was easier for an early (1:00 pm) flight. Last year, we did rent a car and hit the outlet mall when we had a 5 pm flight.

Your dining schedule will determine your assigned breakfast time on the last morning, but you don't have to eat at the assigned time. If you have late dinner (thus late breakfast), your options are to eat at the pool deck buffet OR to talk to your head server and see if he can handle you at the earlier time.

What you don't want to do is to just show up unannounced at the "wrong" time. While they will try to seat you, this makes a mess for everyone involved.

SO, if you want to be off early, eat early and get off as soon as the big doors open. Assuming normal Customs clearance of the ship, you can be off the ship by 7:30 (even earlier if you handle your own luggage) and in your limo/towncar 15 minutes later. It is about a 45 minute ride to the airport.

How much slower is the DCL bus then private transportation? I can see one time saver with DCL is not having to track down your luggage at the port since they'll check it into the airline. The couple times we've used it I don't think we've waited more then 10 minutes for the bus to leave.

We can eat at the pool deck buffet or doing something quick. That's a good idea. I am more concerned with getting to the airport than having breakfast. Our flight leaves at noon, which should give us plenty of time but I prefer to get to the airport early than to stress if things take longer than I thought they would. It's also possible that my son may have to take an 11:15 flight due to a summer program that might begin that day if he makes it into the first summer session.

We plan on handling our own luggage. I don't want to tell the transportation company a time that is too early and have them wait, but we have no problem getting off the ship as soon as they will let us off.

We booked an execucar with supershuttle for our transportation from the airport to our hotel. I think I will use them for the transportation back to the airport too.

Is 8:30 a reasonable time to give the shuttle company to meet us at the port? Does anyone think we can't get off of the ship by 8:30?

Thank you everyone for your advice.

How much slower is the DCL bus then private transportation? I can see one time saver with DCL is not having to track down your luggage at the port since they'll check it into the airline. The couple times we've used it I don't think we've waited more then 10 minutes for the bus to leave.

The luggage part is only true if you are on a participating airline that departs within the required time limits. If you are not on a participating airline, you'll deal with your luggage.

I've waited 5 minutes for a bus to leave, but I've also waited 45 minutes. Fortunately, we weren't in a time crunch on that one.

OP, 8:30 is totally reasonable. You could do 8:00 if you needed to!

The luggage part is only true if you are on a participating airline that departs within the required time limits. If you are not on a participating airline, you'll deal with your luggage. . .
Plus, even if DCL handles your luggage, when you arrive at MCO all passengers have to wait on the bus until the driver off loads everyone else's luggage.

Woody

Plus, even if DCL handles your luggage, when you arrive at MCO all passengers have to wait on the bus until the driver off loads everyone else's luggage.

Woody

The two times we used everyone could get off the bus as soon as it stopped. If you gave a bag to the drive to put on the bus then yes you had to wait for them to get it out for you along with everyone else, for us that's been only a couple of minutes.

Thanks again. I will make the reservation at 8:30 with private transportation and we will handle our own luggage. Then I won't have to stress about anything taking too long.

The two times we used everyone could get off the bus as soon as it stopped. . .
Interesting. Was that at MCO?

Every time we used DCL transfers from the port to MCO, the driver asked everyone to remain seated until all luggage was offloaded. This was as recent as last month.

As they say, YMMV.

Woody

This sounds like a great idea - I assume the van was big enough for all the luggage :)

Will give this some thought - we are 19 people - not sure who is flying, driving, renting a car, or using DLC transportation. Not all coming at the same time.

When did you use them and I could not find them when I googled them. Thank you.

Interesting. Was that at MCO?

Every time we used DCL transfers from the port to MCO, the driver asked everyone to remain seated until all luggage was offloaded. This was as recent as last month.

As they say, YMMV.

Woody

Yes, that was at MCO, last two times was 5/2011 and 6/2012. Everyone was allowed off the bus and the folks that needed luggage from under the bus just stood outside as he unloaded and grabbed theirs as it was brought out.

We are flying into Orlando the night before the cruise. We want to get a private company to pick us up at the hotel so we don't have to schlepp back to the airport. Does anyone have any companies that they reccomend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter