Transporting Crutches on Airline

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
Okay, I have terrible Plantar Fasciitis in both feet. I will be getting a Cortisone shot a few days before I leave but am worried that if all the walking really aggravates my feet I might need my crutches for help. So, I really don't need to carry them with me ON the plane, but am worried that there is no good way to check them without the possibility of damage.

I am afraid the security people and such are really going to be suspicious if I am traveling with crutches that I am obviously not using? :confused3 I know that I will look really silly! Plus it will be a pain to carry them and my carry ons and keep up with my 2 girls (by myself). I anticipate that I will have no problems walking on the way TO MCO, except if they make me remove my shoes and orthotics to go through security (I CAN NOT walk barefoot at all)

Should I carry them or check them? And if I check them, how do I keep them safe?

Just carry them. Send them thru the xray machine. That should satisfy the security folks.

To be honest, they probably won't even notice that you don't really need them. Plus it is NOT thier job to determine medical nessecity.

I flew after a car accident resulted in a sprained ankle a few years back (maybe pre 9/11). They had a wheelchair / stroller line for security that they had me use.

We just flew with crutches for my DD. She did need them at the time and they were no problem getting through security with. We did have a problem getting her shoe off with severe pain, so they were nice enough to let her keep her one shoe on, and just used a special wand and swab.
We pre-boarded and put her crutches in the overhead bin. The attendants were nice enough not to let anyone cram their carry-ons on top of them.
I would not recommend checking them, even if it is something extra to have to carry. I would say most airlines would be very accomodating to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter