Transportation Options from Disney to Universal/IOA

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by Cdn Friends of Pooh, Jun 24, 2010.

1. dvc4life

dvc4life Disney is my Happy Place

Been reading through the thread and thought I would ask for some advice. We will be going to Florida May 24th to stay one night at the Hard Rock Hotel and then doing Universal and IOA the next day. We will be heading to OKW on the 25th during the late afternoon. There will be five of us with luggage and 2 owners lockers. I know, lots of stuff, what would be our best option to get from HRH to OKW? We were thinking Taxi.

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations you may have.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. damo

damo Proud Redhead

I would recommend a taxi van. You may have to have the hotel arrange for one for you since it seems that they just have town cars and big Escalades there now that are more expensive than just a regular taxi van.

4. dvc4life

dvc4life Disney is my Happy Place

Thanks. That is what we were thinking too!

5. MuchLovedMama

MuchLovedMama Mouseketeer

So a Taxi Van is the same price as a normal Taxi? We are a party of 12 going in September and are planning on taking a day to go to IOA. Don't really want to deal with renting a car or having to schedule a shuttle so we were thinking we'd have to go in 3 taxis but after reading about the vans I'm thinking that'll be our best option. Just wasn't sure it it cost more than a normal taxi?

The estimate from AoA to US shows $33 per way. Hope that's pretty close and then we can just divide it out between our 3 families. Thanks!

6. damo

damo Proud Redhead

Yes, a taxi van and a normal van are the same price. That price should be pretty close. I don't think you can fit 12 people in a taxi van though. They are just the size of a van, not a shuttle.

7. MuchLovedMama

MuchLovedMama Mouseketeer

Thanks! Yeah 2 vans vs 3 normal taxis is what I meant. I read that they are 7 passenger vans.

8. Amy340

Amy340 Earning My Ears

We (2 of us) did the Dreams Unlimited 2 park 1 day with round trip transfer option to Universal on May 1st. The confirmation and everything arrived by e-mail shortly after booking. I booked for pickup 1 day in advance, they were there right exactly at the scheduled time, so I was so far well satisfied. The return trip was a whole other story. There was at least 30+ people all waiting for the same return trip pickup time. Two shuttles arrived, one was going to two off site hotels, the other just Pop Century, they arrived 15 mins early, so everyone thought OK, we'll wait it out. Soon, another shuttle arrives, again, just Pop Century. That one was on time. 20 minutes after the scheduled pickup time, no more shuttles arrive, and there is still at least 15 or more people waiting, we were going to OKW, others waiting were going to at least 3 other different Disney hotels. 6 people waiting booked the package through AAA, got fed up, and decided to split a van taxi. We called Mears and got the run around from the dispatcher, she finally said she would have a regular taxi take us back and to give him the return voucher, and all would be covered, no extra cost. We did that, and the driver was very nice and friendly, and even dropped us right at our building at OKW. I looked up online afterwards reviews on Mears, and most that were bad complained about either the transportation being late or not showing up at all. I hope the rest of the people waiting with us got back to their hotels soon after we left. Oh, also while we were still waiting, the Mears pickup for 1 hour later came way early and took only 2 passengers to the AKL, he wouldn't take anyone else even though he had room in the shuttle. I was satisfied with everything with the Dreams Unlimited package except for the return trip, clearly Mears was overbooked or something. The dispatcher gave no reason or excuse. If I go to Universal from Disney again, I think I will look into other transportation. Our return trip was booked over 2 hrs in advance also, like they asked us to on the return voucher he gave us when we were dropped off.

9. marshallandcartersmo

marshallandcartersmo DIS Veteran

We'll have a rental car for our trip. How long is the drive from POR to Universal/IOA??

thanks

10. Metro West

Metro West <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue> Moderator

You should allow at least 45 minutes to make the trip. Some people on the boards claim as little as 20 minutes but I can tell you that's not possible unless the roads are empty and even then it's highly unlikely. Heck...it's taken me more than 20 minutes just to drive from Epcot to DTD.

11. marshallandcartersmo

marshallandcartersmo DIS Veteran

Thank you :)

12. Jendantx

Jendantx Earning My Ears

Do the Taxis charge by the person? Or is it just by the mile? Or is it by time? Or is it a combination of these?

13. Julie711

Julie711 DIS Veteran

Family and I are going to Disney Nov 25- Dec 1st and planning a day to Universal and wondering about transportation. We went last year and used Mears, however I believe there is cheaper transportation out there. Mears was $18 per person for round trip. Also we will have our DS which will be 12 months, will he need a car seat, our DD was 3 yrs old last trip and didnt need one, but not sure with his age?

Thanks

14. damo

damo Proud Redhead

A cab is about $35 each way.

15. momtotwins

momtotwins Mouseketeer

I dont know about the shuttle for car seats but you would definatly have to have one for a cab

16. Metro West

Metro West <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue> Moderator

Since we already have a sticky on this subject, I'm going to combine the two.

17. nicholasas

nicholasas Earning My Ears

I should go on a disney cruise that wouldn't be a bad idea... But if i go with out my son would that make me look like a big kid? Lol

18. Carriehalty78

Carriehalty78 Mouseketeer

Im confused, I was just looking at the Dreams Unlimited tickets with transfer and it didnt mention getting in early. So if I purchase just my tickets thru them with transfer will we get early entry into the parks?

Sorry my quote didnt work...I was replying to sb a few pages back that mentioned they would get early entry into the park when getting tickets from dreams unlimited...maybe I read it wrong?

Nevermind...figured it out, clearly Im a newbie lol.

19. damo

damo Proud Redhead

Universal says you should not be able to get into the parks early with the Dreams Unlimited ticket with transfer. They say that those tickets that are being issued are meant for those who have bought a package and are staying offsite and they are not sure how or why they are being issued with the Dreams ticket with transfer. I'm not sure when the last people reported getting early admission with these tickets.

20. RMAMom

RMAMom DIS Veteran

I just wanted to pop in with an update on the Mears shuttle. My 3 kids are in Disney right now celebrating my youngest DD's 19th birthday. On Thursday, May 17th, they took the shuttle from Pop to IOA to spend the day. I called on May 14th around 5:00PM and reserved it. I was told the shuttle pick up time at Pop started at 6:25 and ran every hour from there. I had the feeling that this varied from resort to resort. Anyway, I chose the 7:25 time and was told it was $19.00 per person. (Note: the first page of this thread says $18.00) When we were ready to go we were to call 2 hours prior to pick up time.
    On the 17th the shuttle arrived, the girls paid him and off they went. Around lunchtime they figured out they would need a little longer so enjoyed the park for a little longer and at 3:00PM they called and set a 5:15 pick up time. They were picked up and dropped safely at Pop. We will definitely use the shuttle again, it was easy and fairly priced! A huge thank you to this thread, we would never have know about the shuttle if we didn't read about it here!

21. jeankeri

jeankeri <font color=darkorchid>I threw cartons of milk at

Debating getting the DU tickets with shuttle, or buying tickets and RT shuttle tickets separate, or possibly using a taxi. We are a party of 4 going for 1 day, only wanting to do IOA.
    ?? from reading this thread- The DU ticket package says the shuttle is available 24 hrs/day except 10-3, but someone posted the earliest they could reserve the shuttle was 8:30a. Anyone know which is correct?
    Second ?- if our group wants to split up and have some return early, can you go back on 2 different shuttles?
    Curious...