Transport from DL Resort to Universal Studios

Meemoo

DIS Veteran
Hey there,

We are coming to DL this October :cheer2: :cheer2: and would like to visit Universal Studios whilst we are there. What is the best travel option for a party of 4? Is the amount we would spend on a tour bus for example around the same as we would pay for a cab, are there any flat rate type transfers available? We may end up renting a car if DH is confident about left hand drive.

I have heard it is better to get to Universal early when it first opens rather than when all the tour buses arrive, is this true?

Most busses will cost in the neighborhood $30/$50 each way per person. A taxi
will run between $110/$130 each way depending on traffic. Yes, it's better to
get to Universal early when it first opens rather than when all the tour buses
arrive.

This is a pretty easy trip by public transit if you go on a weekday.

Take the Anaheim ART bus (or taxi) to the Anaheim ARTIC station and catch a northbound Metrolink train to Los Angeles Union Station. Then switch to the Red Line subway to N Hollywood and get off at Universal City. Walk across the street and catch the free shuttle to Universal Studios.

Metrolink Info
http://metrolinktrains.com/

Red Line subway info
http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/802.pdf

Weekday Metrolink fare is $17.50 round trip. Once you buy your Metrolink ticket it is good for the Red Line subway (both ways) and for the return trip on the ART bus.

If you go to Universal on a weekend the train schedules are more limited so you might want to consider a rental car.

Hey there,

We are coming to DL this October :cheer2: :cheer2: and would like to visit Universal Studios whilst we are there. What is the best travel option for a party of 4? Is the amount we would spend on a tour bus for example around the same as we would pay for a cab, are there any flat rate type transfers available? We may end up renting a car if DH is confident about left hand drive.

I have heard it is better to get to Universal early when it first opens rather than when all the tour buses arrive, is this true?

What day of the week are you going? Keep in mind to get to Universal from DLR, you will be driving through a lot of LA. I see you are from Australia, and you mentioned the LH driving. LA drivers are aggressive. I-5 also will have some construction work. If you do choose to drive, try to plan for a weekend to drive there. Traffic will be bad, but it won't be rush hour bad.

What day of the week are you going? Keep in mind to get to Universal from DLR, you will be driving through a lot of LA. I see you are from Australia, and you mentioned the LH driving. LA drivers are aggressive. I-5 also will have some construction work. If you do choose to drive, try to plan for a weekend to drive there. Traffic will be bad, but it won't be rush hour bad.

We were considering a weekend. maybe a Sunday if we hire a car. My husband is a confident driver and has driven LH before no trouble for him, I wouldn't dare :rotfl::rotfl:!! I mentioned the agressive drivers, and his responsive, 'I'm agressive too!' So maybe we'll fit right in :thumbsup2 I thought perhaps if we went with the hire car we might be able to stop by for some shopping as well on the way back to Anaheim!

We were considering a weekend. maybe a Sunday if we hire a car. My husband is a confident driver and has driven LH before no trouble for him, I wouldn't dare :rotfl::rotfl:!! I mentioned the agressive drivers, and his responsive, 'I'm agressive too!' So maybe we'll fit right in :thumbsup2 I thought perhaps if we went with the hire car we might be able to stop by for some shopping as well on the way back to Anaheim!

Ok sounds good, yeah Sunday and having your own car would be the better and easiest choice, plus you make your own time. On the way to Universal, you'll be passing by the Disney Concert Hall, free parking around there on Sunday and tours too. You'll also be passing by Hollywood Blvd. It's not all what you see on TV, but it's worth a drive by during the day if you haven't seen it. Don't go at night, that'll ruin all the glitz and glamour people expect of Hollywood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter