Transatlantic Cruising Sure Has Changed!

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by inkkognito, Sep 1, 2007.

1. inkkognito

inkkognito <font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon

Out of curiosity, I looked up my relatives who came to the U.S. via Ellis Island. The only one I could find was my maternal grandma, who traveled from Austria via France to the U.S.A. Here is the ship she came on:

http://www.greatoceanliners.net/latouraine.html

A far cry from the Magic, especially since I'm guessing she wasn't in first class!

I highly recommend combing through the Ellis Island records, as they list the ship and port of origin and also have the manifests. Quite an eye opener on how ships have changed in the span between being mainly transportation and the switch-over to pleasure cruising. I wonder what my grandma would think if she could see the way I crossed the Atlantic!

2. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

Hi Barb,

I also crossed the atlantic many, many years ago - 1970. We came to NYC but did not come through Ellis Island obviously. We were on the Christopher Columbus ship. From I remember it was more like the Magic but a lot smaller. I would love to see a picture of that ship today. I wonder how/where I could start to do some research on it. I also wonder if my aunt or any other family member came through Ellis Island.

3. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Welcome home Barb!

Are we going to be treated with a trip report anytme soon?

4. yndygo

yndygo Knee Deep in Pixie Dust

oh heck, cruise ships in general have changed in just the last 20 years!!

I remember the pre-stabilizer ships - and the elevators that would sway and bonk into the sides of the shaft on the way up and down!!

No grandiose theaters then, nor two-story rooms with the exception of the occasional 'grand lobby' - and if there was a pool it was a scary thing with only salt-water in it and waves from the ship motion! lol...

The ships of today are marvels by comparison!!

We always tend to think of ships from 'back then' as being like the Titanic (a la the movie!) But when "cruising" first got popular outside of transatlantic voyages - most of the early cruise ships were converted vessels!
    :)

I remember the first time I was on a cruise ship wondering where the "Love Boat style" rooms were - you know the ones with the huge beds and enough room for 20 people? lol...

5. inkkognito

inkkognito <font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon

It's up to 40 pages, starting from the ride to the airport and ending as we pulled away from the pier. I hope to get it edited and posted by Mon.

For anyone interested in researching their ancestors, here is the Ellis Island link:

http://www.ellisisland.org/

I remember watching the Love Boat...at the time, I had no clue that cruising would become my future obsession. It's funny...I've always been the only one in my family that loves horses, and eventually I found out that my great-grandpa had been in the Polish cavalry. I always wondered if I somehow inherited the love from him, and I wonder if I have a nautical person somewhere in my family tree.