Trading Into Timeshare - Please Help Me Choose Where

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by PPFQP, Jun 7, 2006.

1. PPFQP

PPFQP DIS Veteran

We are considering trading a timeshare week to stay in the Orlando area in October. I have a choice of several properties and wondered if anyone could help me choose the best option. My husband will be at a conference at the Grand Floridian (yes, we could stay there, but our timeshare week will expire next year and we'd rather use it than lose it, plus we're saving up for another Western cruise next spring.) We will have a rental car, if that helps make the decision.

Choices:
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    Orlando International Resort Club
    Orange Lake Country Club
    Cypress Pointe Resort (or Cypress Pointe Grand Villas - what's the difference?)
    Grand Beach Vacation Resort
    Hilton Grand Vacations on International Drive

Any ideas on what are the best options for:
    - amenities at the resort (we have two tween girls who love to swim.)
    - nice accomodations
    - convenience to WDW

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Amirah95

Amirah95 I'm ALLLLLLMOST there!

You can't go wrong with Vistana and I've heard good things about Orange Lake...I have no idea what the others are.

If you can exchange into one of the Marriots then you won't go wrong. I am itching to try Calypso Cay...

4. gjw007

gjw007 DVC, Diamond Resorts, Wyndham Resorts

You should get a few interesting responses. I own at Orange Lake (OLCC), so I'm somewhat biased as I like the resort and would recommend it. OLCC and Sheraton Vistana are large resorts with lots of amenities. You can check out the resorts on their homepage. Both resorts have older sections that some people don't like. I haven't stayed in the older sections at Vistana but I have at OLCC and I like them in some ways better than the newer units.

Hilton's Grand Vacation Club (HGVC) on I-drive is also a nice resort. Smaller than OLCC or Vistana but the pool is right in front of the units. At OLCC you may have to walk, drive, or take the shuttle to get to the pools. The pools at Vistana are closer to the units than OLCC's. I don't believe that HGVC has as many amenitities as OLCC and Vistana but it is also right next to a shopping center and it is a nice resort.

Both HGVC and Vistana are closer to downtown Disney and OLCC is closer to the Animal Kingdom. You will find people arguing about so-and-so resort being too far but in reality, all these resorts are all very close to Disney.

5. PPFQP

PPFQP DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your insight. Sounds like I can't go wrong with Vistana, Orange Lake or Hilton.

6. Princess89

Princess89 <font color=darkorchid>Ignores her DH to give all

Ok, here goes another biased opinion lol. I own HGVC, and the one on I-drive is gorgeous. It is pretty new so its not as big as Vistana or some others. They are still in the process of finishing the resort while its open. There is another HGVC, up the road next to Sea World, but not as close as the I-drive one to WDW. HGVC on I drive has a Tuscan theme, which is really nice. The rooms, in my opinion are like many of your other timeshare units ie kitchen bathroom, jaquzzi (sp?) tub etc. Of course they have a movie theater type area, owners lounge you get the picture. The pictures you see in the book, don't do it much justice. However, I checked out tripadvisor.com and looked through personal pictures people have posted and they are gorgeous. I would look on there to check out all the reviews of each timeshare you are interested in. Have fun, enjoy!

7. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

OL is further away than Sheraton Vistana.

with both you are taking a chance on getting an older unit.

but I really think Sheraton Vistana is trying to update everything.

with OL there are not enough pools..... believe me if you kids like to swim don't go to this one...

Sheraton Vistana has 7 pools. It also has activities for teens.

the HGVC is a lovely resort - but I am not sure on the activities for teens...
    I know it has stuff for little kids - but just not sure about teens.

It also have lovely pools.

Cypress Pointe (both sections) are the closest to WDW on your list. They also get the best reviews on your list. Not only here but on tug too.... but again activities for teens is limited. Sorry HGVC on ID got a better review on tug.

if you own a timeshare go join
    www.tug2.net

8. Princess89

Princess89 <font color=darkorchid>Ignores her DH to give all

9. DianeV

DianeV DIS Veteran

I would love the chance to stay at the new Hilton on I-Drive..looks gorgeous and great location right near the outlets, grocery store, McDs - alot right there

10. ralphd

ralphd DIS Veteran

Orange Lake is very spread out. Need a car to get to the pools and food courts.

11. mjh8955

mjh8955 DIS Veteran

I can't speak for any of the others but stayed at HGVC on International Drive this past November - it's beautiful and convenient. Our kids loved it (ages 11 and 15). The pool is huge and I understand a second pool opened in April. My sister-in-law had a poolside massage. The kids did the build your own sundae thing one afternoon and also enjoyed some poolside movies and a karoke contest. The deli makes GREAT sandwiches, there is a pool-side bar, quiet room, activity room with pool tables, etc. The only complaint I could possibly have is that there is really only seating for 5 or so in the living room unless you bring in dining chairs. There were 4 adults and 3 kids in our group and it really wasn't a problem - our kids were usually watching t.v. in their room or in the video arcade. There is additional seating on the screened in porches. It's a beautiful resort. Hop the fence and you are at an upscale fashion mall. Grocery store and anything else you might want is right across the street. Downtown Disney was just a few minutes away.

12. pcgmom

pcgmom Mouseketeer

I have never been to Orange Lake either, but we are planning to go next winter. I do know that their new River Island water complex is now open. That adds more pools and a lazy river. Good luck.

13. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

I have also heard the OL is charging for the new pool.....

I think I would go to a real water park first.

14. pcgmom

pcgmom Mouseketeer

I have watched a very detailed discussion regarding the fees for the new River Island on www.tugbbs.com/forums. There is no charge for using the water park, but there is a rental fee to use the clear inner tubes for the lazy river and to get a cabana for the day.

15. Lisa P.

Lisa P. DIS Veteran

Sheraton Vistana Resort - 5-10 min. to GF, inconsistently nice rooms, large resort w/extensive family-friendly amenities & activities, many pools.

Orlando International Resort Club - 20 min. to GF, run by Fairfield (which we own & like) but a small apartment-style complex near Universal with only a basic pool & tennis, so not a top choice for you.

Orange Lake Country Club - 20 min. to GF, inconsistenly nice rooms, sprawling resort w/golf, lake & extensive family-friendly amenities & activities, many pools.

Cypress Pointe Resort or Cypress Pointe Grand Villas (two sections of same resort) - 5-10 min. to GF, guests may walk to use amenities at both sides, lovely rooms, mid-sized resort with nice, family-friendly amenities & activities, 3 pools.

Grand Beach Vacation Resort - 10 min. to GF, lovely rooms, lakeside property with a pool, few activities.

Hilton Grand Vacations on International Drive - 10 min. to GF, very new w/lovely rooms, nice pool(s?) & some amenities/activities.

For your situation (kids' ages & DH's commute to GF), if you planned to spend most of your time at the WDW parks or pool-swimming, then I would choose either HGVC-ID or CPR/CPGV for their nice rooms/pools and close proximity.

OTOH, if you plan to spend most of your time enjoying the resort w/DH commuting daily to the conference, then I'd choose SVR or OLCC, for their extensive activities and many pools to try (OLCC's are more diverse/newer but SVR's are walkable).

None of your options above are actually poor choices, so don't stress over the selection. Have a great trip!!! :)

16. KelnRon

KelnRon Mouseketeer

We are owners at Orange Lake and stay in the newer sections. Beautiful, clean, wonderful pools and now the new water park!

Last month we had to change our week and OLCC was not available and the only available resort was Vistana! Vistana did not in any way compare to OLCC!!!!! We were in the Lakes sections, which is newer than many but still the rooms were still outdated. Appliances dirty, wallpaper peeling, shower curtain rod in master bedroom was rusted. Most people on this board really like Vistana, I would rate it a "C" ~ nice pools and amenities. Defianately will not return.

17. PPFQP

PPFQP DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the input -- it is really helpful in making the decision. I think we will try for the Hilton or Cypress Point. Hopefully I'll be able to report on our decision soon!