Tracey Arm - Port or Starboard

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by barbja99, Mar 11, 2013.

1. barbja99

barbja99 Mouseketeer

Which side of the ship is the first to sail by the glacier at Tracey Arm? Port or Starboard?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rob S.

Rob S. DIS Veteran

Starboard. Port side will have the better view on the return.

4. CruisinNick

CruisinNick dcl addict.

5. steves100

steves100 Mouseketeer

At least on our cruise last year it was a major differnece.

In font of the glacier itself the port side was in front of the glacier for atleast 1/2 and hour. (dont recall the time probably closer to 1 hour).

When the ship turned the starboard side was only about 15 minutes and then just to back out and leave.

THERE WAS A HUGE DIFFERNCE IN TIME!!!!!

But,

It really doesnt matter because everyone gets a better view from on deck.

6. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

If you don't go to Tracy Arm, you will probably go to Dawes Glacier. This was at the end of Endicot Arm so the glacier itself was forward. The captain rotated the ship a few times pretty consistently without stopping so both sides got equal viewing of the glacier, and the best view was from deck 10.

7. Keurigirl

Keurigirl let's all sing like the birdies sing

Your best view will be from up on deck, where you can get a full 180 degree view of what's all around you :)

8. lady9

lady9 DIS Veteran

Either side will be fine going up whatever Arm the ship goes, we did Tracy Arm. The naturalist will point out things of interest on both sides of the ship. We we on port side as we past a bald eagle's nest with an eaglet in it. Take binoculars, we couldn't have seen it without them. We went to Palo that night, I can't remember the time, but we did see Sawyer Glacier and have plenty of time to get ready for dinner. The view from Palo leaving Tracy Arm was so beautiful. I highly recommend Palo on the Tracy Arm day. A great way to end an amazing day.

9. twopeasonepod

twopeasonepod DIS Veteran

Hmmm, I have to agree with steves100 on the time thing. We were on port last July and had much more time viewing the glacier (from our verandah) as we approached. IMO it is WAY more convenient to view that way than to fight for space on Deck 10 or 9 or 4 or whatever it is. We could duck back inside when cold, and to have the ability to go in and out was very, very convenient.

This is what we saw:
    http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2957185&highlight=sawyer+glacier+calving

10. jrabbit

jrabbit DIS Veteran

I was up on Deck 10 most of the time - so it didn't really matter which side of the ship my room was on. I don't think (scratch that - I KNOW) that I would NOT want to be limited to what I could see from my verandah. Same goes with the Panama Canal Cruise.