TR June 2016 Uluru, A Spur of the Moment - Homeward Bound and end of TR on Day 8; 02/25

The track between Alice Springs and Uluru is completely sealed.

OK, you said something similar to this earlier on this report and I was like... :scratchin I picture a tent or otherwise over the road sealing it, and I'm sure that isn't right.

But I’m sure going to need a 4-wheel drive for that Mereenie Loop stretch.

And I don't get this on either....

Six glorious minutes of rockglow and then it was all over.

All of your pictures of the Rock are gorgeous. I need to get myself an ND filter. It's amazing how quickly that span of gorgeous light comes and goes.

Your dinner looked good, but small. Hopefully your waist is showing the difference with all the hiking and such!

Those sunset pics of the rock with the clouds and the glowing rock are jaw-dropping stunning. I ADORE your photos and the only question is which one of your so many will you sell to me so I can frame it and put it up on my wall?? You were so lucky to get that last ray of sunlight. The photography Gods were very kind to you this spur of the moment trip in addition to the skill of the photographer of course. Having seen it for myself though, I know its hard if you haven't to appreciate that that is what it looks like - no fancy photo editing required - it really glows that red and then purple.

Thanks, Wendy.

Anyone you like! No charge. :blush:

Yes, indeed. I just found out that all the south Pacific islands we are visiting next year have sea snakes. I am not sure what to make of this. If it creeps and crawls, it is not for me.

I'm sure you'll be doing a TR. I'll be following along to find out how you got on with the sea snakes.

I love those photos.

Thank you!

I am glad that all the stars alined for you. This is just stunning.

Corinna

I sure got lucky!

OK, you said something similar to this earlier on this report and I was like... :scratchin I picture a tent or otherwise over the road sealing it, and I'm sure that isn't right.

Ooh! Did we just find another one of those 'lost in translation' things? Hmmm....

Okay. Sealed roads in Oz probably is what you would called paved. That road between Uluru and Alice is completely paved and a standard car will be able to drive between the two areas.

And I don't get this on either....

If you take a look at the map, there's a part of the road on the map called "Mereenie Loop". On the map, this road is marked as a dotted red line, indicating it's an unsealed or unpaved road. A standard car will not be able to drive this part of the road and you'll need a 4-wheel drive (or a Jeep) to travel that road.

All of your pictures of the Rock are gorgeous. I need to get myself an ND filter. It's amazing how quickly that span of gorgeous light comes and goes.

Thank you.

Your dinner looked good, but small. Hopefully your waist is showing the difference with all the hiking and such!

Sadly, no. :(

Lurker on your reports but I just love those sunset photos. I remember being there in 1991 but I don't didn't get any photos as good as yours. Judy

I am really behind on your latest update from your trip. The sunset photos of Uluru are so amazing and with the long exposure makes it even better.

Lurker on your reports but I just love those sunset photos. I remember being there in 1991 but I don't didn't get any photos as good as yours. Judy

Thanks for un-lurking!

1991? Might be time for a re-do.

I am really behind on your latest update from your trip. The sunset photos of Uluru are so amazing and with the long exposure makes it even better.

Thanks, Bret. You're not behind anymore. ;)

Day 4 - First Full Day at Uluru National Park

A Tale of Two Rooms – Part 1

It was the worst of rooms. It was the best of rooms.

Our first room. Bathroom facilities were clean and decent.

The room size was generous enough.

Pardon the unmade beds. Have you spotted the issue with the room?

When we opened the door to the room, none of us were happy with the room configuration. We had ended up with a King Bed and an extremely saggy and uncomfortable cot bed.

I KNOW it was uncomfortable. I ended up not-sleeping in it.

DS was not happy with the cot bed. He didn’t even try to sleep in it. He hopped in the King Bed and that was that.

DH was not happy with the cot bed; nor was he happy about the fact that DS had gotten into the main bed.

Me? After listening to the moaning for 30 minutes from both the boys, I decided it was probably simplest if I hopped in the cot bed.

To be honest, I wasn’t thrilled by the sleeping arrangements. But I didn’t like the room either. We were supposed to have gotten a view of the rock. This was the view we got. Blocked by trees!

Even sitting out on the balcony….

The trees bugged me even more than the cot bed.

The room just felt wrong.

(Continued in Next Post)

The Third Sunrise (Wish #1 Still Holds True)

I hadn’t slept much at all on the cot bed. So, rather than toss and turn in a very uncomfortable bed, I decided to get up and head out to catch sunrise. Both boys were sleeping very comfortably and soundly in that king bed!
I was feeling rather grumpy about the whole situation when I left. But I just figured it was better to feel grumpy out of the room than stay there watching the boys sleep soundly.

I have to admit that I had misgivings about heading this morning when I checked the skies. It was practically wall to wall cover.

In moments like this…it’s the word ‘practically’ that holds an entire world of difference just by using it as an adverb.

‘Practically’ wall to wall cloud cover….except for right on the horizon.

Yes, I did wish for clouds, didn’t I?

This is the sunrise I got this morning.

For me, the clouds just set things off wonderfully!

It was enough to chase the bad night’s sleep away!

If I could beg your indulgence for two more pictures and in some photobabble.

Those of you that know me will know that I tend to prefer to keep my pictures as natural as possible, without too much photoshopping or touch-up in lightroom.
However, occasionally….I do dabble. For this morning’s sunrise, here’s what is possible using some of the lightroom presets.

For the record….I still prefer to keep the touch-ups to a minimum. The first set of pictures are more true to what I saw on that morning. The colour in the second set are just too saturated for me.

(Continued in next post)

White Gums Breakfast Buffet

Sunrise had made me hungry. DH texted me just as I was ready to leave....the boys were hungry too.

Our rate at Desert Gardens Hotel included complimentary buffet breakfast at their White Gums restaurant. I met the boys there and after a short wait, we were seated at a table. I would describe White Gums décor as minimalistic modest.

The buffet area was fairly standard.

As was the food. This was my plate of food.

There was also fresh fruit.

And for my Asian taste, there was congee.

For me, the breakfast buffet options at King’s Canyon was maginally better simply because they offered cook-to-order omelettes. The selection at Desert Garden was adequate. Without a doubt, there were more people at Desert Garden and at times, the buffet area was an absolute zoo. The congee was the saving grace factor for me at Desert Garden.

princess::upsidedow

So for more photobabble, did you use a fliter for this and what kind was it? An ND filter? I need to get one of those for fireworks but just wondering if that one is also applicable for sunsets and sunrises.

Beautiful pictures! That sucks about the bed situation, I hope getting a new room isn't much difficulty.

I think it was hearing so many complaints about the accom at Uluru (for the cost) that made us end up doing the camping tour - mind you, you got what you paid for - nights were hard, cold and uncomfortable - I wold have grabbed your cot bed if offered - lol! but at least it was reflected in the price. That was around 15 years ago. Doesn't sound like much has changed. What a difference compared to our experiences at the View Hotel in Monument Valley hey? I would be muscling my way into the King Bed between the boys! Very, very beautiful sunrise pics - clouds and all and yes, as you know, I agree about the saturation in the Light room pics though they are a very pretty example of what you can do if that's your thing.

What a shame that the first room was not a success between the sleeping arrangements and the lack of a view. I love the sunrise photos. I am normally not keen on processed photos either, but the first one of the two that you posted is stunning. It is so atmospheric.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!