TR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family did DLR *(new - 4/15: HK Disneyland)*

Chapter 21 - Disneyland - Part 2
October 15th
Free Churros are the Best Churros!

First, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and want to wish you all the best for a magical 2016!

Second, I did find a picture of the kids with Minnie from the breakfast - apparently I took it with my phone instead of the camera for some reason. Anyway, please find it below for your enjoyment:
00_Girls%20with%20Minnie%20Mouse.jpg

Third, apologies for lack of update here - just been busy with the holiday (we traveled to Judi's family, met up with 5 siblings and their families, etc. - just not a lot of downtime) ... but I have enough pictures prepped for at least a few updates so hope to get a number done in short order!

on to the trip report .....

We left off having met Halloween Goofy in Town Square after Judi had procured Fast Passes for both Radiator Springs Racers and the Anna & Elsa meet for later in the day over at California Adventure - so now it was time to actually get to an attraction at Disneyland ....

... well, not quite yet. There were a few places that I knew I wanted to get photos of the family at, and we came across one that had a relatively short line for the photopass photographer - so we only got as far as the Partner's Statue. The photographer did a good job getting a number of poses:
17_Partners%20Photopass%20family%201.jpg

18_Partners%20Photopass%20family%202.jpg

19_Partners%20Photopass%20family%203.jpg

And some neat Magic Shots:
20_kids%20with%20tinkerbell%20magic%20shot.jpg
21_Phil%20and%20Emma%20magic%20shot.jpg

After that slight detour, we were finally going to head towards attractions. We decided to focus on Tomorrowland for this morning figuring we could get through what we wanted to there in the time we had left in the morning. First up was to obtain fastpasses for Space Mountain. Then we agreed to take turns riding Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. Maybe not the typical "first ride at Disneyland" - but it was one we wanted to do to compare to the WDW version. So, first I went with Olivia and Peter and got a rider swap for Judi to ride after.

23_Buzz%202.jpg

22_Buzz.jpg

We all rode in one car, meaning Peter controlled the spinning level - which negatively impacted my score of course (along with my lack of skill, but still ....)
24_Score%20on%20Buzz.jpg

Then Judi rode and Olivia went with her again - though I have no photographic evidence to prove this.

Overall, while still not a perfect attraction we did enjoy this version better than the one at WDW. The ability to lift the guns helps and it just seemed to work better and was better maintained (something that would become a bit of a theme)

Afterward we stopped by a stand to get a bottle of cold water as it was already starting to get pretty hot. And the CM working the stand mentioned that he is allowed to share some pixie dust a few times a day and pixedusted us a free Churro! Now, I enjoy a normal Churro, but a free Churro? That tasted that much sweeter!

25_Free%20churros.jpg
(it was one Churro he broke in pieces)

Coming up next, we ride multiple vehicles and then move parks!

Chapter 22 - Disneyland - Part 3
October 15th
Olivia makes the right call

After the free Churro we still had a bit of time to wait until our Space Mountain FP window so we decided to head to another attraction that I was looking forward to comparing to the WDW version (though in the end, there wasn't much comparison). So with that, we were off to Autopia!

As Emma was too small we did rider swap again, this time first Judi rode while Olivia drove (scary thought)
27_Oliviand%20Judi%20on%20Autopia.jpg

(you can see the excitement and utter joy on Judi's face ;) )

The rest of us waited by the exit as we were instructed to take the rider swap car through the exit to the CM on the platform. There is a pretty neat view there where you can see the entrance to the Submarine ride, the Monorail Track and Matterhorn behind:
28_View%20from%20exit%20of%20Autopia.jpg

Then I took a spin with Peter - while he could have driven he indicated he wanted to ride ... which made it hard for me to take pictures, with this being the only two that came out:
26_Phil%20and%20Pete%20on%20Autopia.jpg
29_sign%20while%20driving%20on%20Autopia.jpg

I have to say that I really like the Autopia ride here - much more than the Speedway at WDW. The layout of the track is more interesting and there are a lot more details, just as fun signs (like the one shown above) - including one for "mouse crossing" with little mouse holes on either side of the track. It is also cool as you wind around under the monorail track (and can see some monorails go by) and also other tracks that are no longer in use - for the now closed People Mover and Rocket Rods (you can see some of the tracks in the above photo as well). Just a much more fun ride!

Finally it was time to ride Space Mountain. I was excited to experience the ride in Disneyland - just as the ride vehicles are different (2 people side by side vs the single toboggan style at WDW) but also because this time of year had the Ghost Galaxy Overlay! Again we were doing rider swap with Olivia going to ride with me first and then Judi would go. First, Olivia posed by the Ghost Galaxy sign:
30_Olivia%20by%20Ghost%20Galaxy%20Sign.jpg

Excitement definitely builds as you wind your way through the structure and watch people shot off into space:
31_Line%20inside%20Space%20Mountain.jpg

In fact, excitement built too much that Olivia decided she didn't want to ride. She had ridden Space Mountain at WDW so I thought she'd be fine and tried to encourage her but the thought of the ghosts and images from the signs were just too much for her .... we we went out a chicken exit and found Judi and the other kids. Then I went back in to ride (and got a rider swap for Judi as wasn't sure we would both fit within the FP window) and eventually got on the ride.

And I have to say that Olivia was 100% right in not riding. I loved it but it was pretty darn scary. This wasn't fun ghosts like in the Haunted Mansion or anything, these were giant flame demons that took swipes at you combined with pretty intense music. She really would have been scared.

Judi then took her turn and fully agreed that Olivia made the ride call - and we definitely let her know that so she didn't feel bad about "chickening Out".

Included with our PP was the ride photos - which have this neat boarder to them, but as both Judi and I wound up in the last row of our respective cars, you can't see us very well (that woman in the front of Judi's car seems a bit scared)
32_Phil%20PP%20SM.jpg
33_Judi%20PP%20SM.jpg

While we were taking turns riding, Peter had fallen asleep in the stroller, and Olivia and Emma were playing with the giant stone ball that floats/spins on water they have in Tomorrowland:
33_Olivia%20and%20Emma%20at%20water%20ball.jpg

At this point we needed to head to California Adventure for our first FastPass over there

TTFN

Great family picture in front of the partners statue!

Is there a height requirement for Buzz at DL? I have zero skills in any kind of shooting game so your score impresses me!

It sounds like Olivia made the right choice in skipping out on Space - not very "not so scary" it seems!

I love the scared woman in front of Judi's SM rocket- hil-arious.

Good call on taking the time to wait for some Disneyland PP pictures. It's so easy to get caught up in the race of the crowds and attractions and the "I'm not waiting in line for a picture"- something I wish we had done more of with all the awesome photo ops at WDW during the Christmas visit.

Hello! I've been binge reading . Loving your report, your family is beautiful! DLR was our first Disney home, so we've been there more than WDW. I love the original charm. Looking forward to more as I dream about our Christmas trip there this year.

Looks like you had a great time in San Diego! California beaches are the best.
Trader Sam's looks fun! I'm not sure what you meant by effects. Do they set off something when you order?

Love the family pictures by the statue with the Castle in the background. Since you now have been to both Parks which Castle do you like best? Mk at Disneyworld or the Castle at Disneyland?
So cool about Space mountain!!! Wish they would have done that at MK in DisneyWorld!!!

I was wondering about the overlays at Space Mountain. It sounds really cool! But also sounds like it was definitely a good idea for Olivia to skip it. On its own, it's more intense than Space in WDW already, but combined with scary ghost images, she might have been scarred for life!!

Cute photopass pics. :)

That's an awesome family pic with the partners statue. I love the girls' matching dresses. I used to do that with my girls when they were young.

Free churros! Score!

I'm curious why they don't do the overlays with Space Mountain in WDW. Is Halloween the only time of year they do the overlays?

Happy New Year!

I'm glad you found a picture with Minnie..so cute!

Love all the PP pictures, they came out great!

So nice that the CM offered you a free churro, can't turn that down ;)

I definitely think Olivia made a good choice in chickening out as well. It's such a cool ride but I'm sure she would have been scared.

Great family picture in front of the partners statue!

Is there a height requirement for Buzz at DL? I have zero skills in any kind of shooting game so your score impresses me!

It sounds like Olivia made the right choice in skipping out on Space - not very "not so scary" it seems!

Thank you! That was definitely one spot I wanted some pictures and I think they come out pretty well! Overall we were pretty happy with the PP photographers we had at DLR - at least the ones on the street (hit or miss at the character meets, etc.)

No, there is not a height requirement for Buzz at DL (though we didn't bring Emma on it as I don't think you can have someone on a lap, but not 100% positive

To be fair, they never indicated it wasn't scary ... just usually things are a little toned down at Disney, but this definitely wasn't. And I know she liked regular Space Mountain at WDW, so didn't want her to miss out - but she definitely made the right call!

I love the scared woman in front of Judi's SM rocket- hil-arious.

Good call on taking the time to wait for some Disneyland PP pictures. It's so easy to get caught up in the race of the crowds and attractions and the "I'm not waiting in line for a picture"- something I wish we had done more of with all the awesome photo ops at WDW during the Christmas visit.

yeah - she definitely shows the fright on her face. I was surprised how intense the projections and music and evertthing was ... seemed like something more for Universal Horror Nights, not something at Disney!

There were a few places I know I wanted to get pictures and I think we did a good job - missed a few, but got a lot of the main ones. I think because I am usually the one behind the camera I push for more photopass pictures so that I am at least in a couple of pictures :rotfl2:

Hello! I've been binge reading . Loving your report, your family is beautiful! DLR was our first Disney home, so we've been there more than WDW. I love the original charm. Looking forward to more as I dream about our Christmas trip there this year.

Looks like you had a great time in San Diego! California beaches are the best.
Trader Sam's looks fun! I'm not sure what you meant by effects. Do they set off something when you order?

:welcome: Thanks so much for joining in - and thank you for the complement!

Despite how similar the main parks are there definitely is a different feel between WDW and DLR. I am a tourist to both places and I am sure the difference is even bigger to people that had DLR as just their local/home park to then get to the massiveness that is WDW!

This was our first time to California at all and the kids first time to/in the Pacific Ocean (Judi and I had gone to Neuva Vaerta once before to the beaches, and once to Seattle, though didn't go in the water there) - the beaches where really nice, at least the ones we went to. I think some Florida beaches give it a run for it's money - but they are definitely more hit-or-miss

So there are certain drinks that if you order them "effects" go off in the bar. So in the animated gif the volcano erupting in the picture happens because someone ordered the Krakatoa Punch

Per wikipedia, the drinks and corresponding effects are:
  • Shipwreck on the Rocks → The ship in a bottle above the bar encounters stormy seas and begins to sink.
  • Krakatoa Punch → The serene Polynesian scene outside the faux window shows a storm gathering as the volcano begins to erupt.
  • Shrunken Zombie Head → Certain barstools will begin lowering toward the floor. (Bartenders can also just mess with customers by doing this independently of drink orders.)
  • Uh Oa! → The bartender rings a bell and people begin chanting "Uh OA! Uh OA! Uh OA OA OA!" and employees spray water into the air so it feels like it's beginning to rain.
  • Draft Beer → Beer draft handles are carved tiki heads with lighted eyes. When a bartender pulls a draft, tiki drums and chants begin to play. The more drafts that are pulled in succession, the faster the drums and chanting.

There are different effects at the new Trader Sam's at the Polynesian in WDW

Love the family pictures by the statue with the Castle in the background. Since you now have been to both Parks which Castle do you like best? Mk at Disneyworld or the Castle at Disneyland?
So cool about Space mountain!!! Wish they would have done that at MK in DisneyWorld!!!

Thank you! As for the two Castles, I probably have a bit of a politically correct view in that I like them both but view them differently.

Sleeping Beauty Castle/Disneyland: To me this is more the entrance to Fantasyland rather than the center of the park. As you walk down Main St. you can see it in the distance, but it doesn't seem like a destination or "weenie" (The term Walk used)

Cinderella Castle: This is, to me, the center/focal point of all of Walt Disney World. You can see it from outside the park and seems like more of a destination in it's own right.

If I had to pick one it would be Cinderella Castle as it is more impressive and makes for tons of great angles for photos, etc. - plus you can eat in it! Though, might be because it was my first Disney castle, and you never forget your first ;)

I was wondering about the overlays at Space Mountain. It sounds really cool! But also sounds like it was definitely a good idea for Olivia to skip it. On its own, it's more intense than Space in WDW already, but combined with scary ghost images, she might have been scarred for life!!

Cute photopass pics. :)

I was very excited to experience the overlay and it did not disappoint - if anything more immersive/impressive than I was expecting. But also more intense than I was expecting. This was not fun/scary - this was scary-scary ... in some ways, fairly un-Disney like. Olivia definitely made the right call!

Thanks!

That's an awesome family pic with the partners statue. I love the girls' matching dresses. I used to do that with my girls when they were young.

Free churros! Score!

I'm curious why they don't do the overlays with Space Mountain in WDW. Is Halloween the only time of year they do the overlays?

Thank you! This was the first trip we really did the matching dresses but it was fun. Not sure for how long we can/will do it, but the girls seem into it so we are going to ride it as long as we can!

Free always tastes better!

As for the overlay, they also have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay to the Haunted Mansion that is home for Halloween and Christmas time. And they just started having a Hyperspace Mountain overlay for Space Mountain that is part of the Season of the Force (Star Wars) event - and I hear/read it is even better than the Ghost Galaxy one (and is making me wish we got to experience that).

My understanding of why they do the overlays at DLR by not WDW is that DLR is more of a locals park so a) people have already experienced the "regular" version and ii) this is something new to keep them coming back - whereas WDW is a "once in a lifetime trip" for a lot of people (much more than DLR) so they don't want people to miss out on the "regular" version if this is their only trip

I know they started to do the Jingle Cruise overlay for the Jungle Cruise at WDW, but that doesn't fundamentally change the experience like either of the overlays at DLR

Happy New Year!

I'm glad you found a picture with Minnie..so cute!

Love all the PP pictures, they came out great!

So nice that the CM offered you a free churro, can't turn that down ;)

I definitely think Olivia made a good choice in chickening out as well. It's such a cool ride but I'm sure she would have been scared.

Happy New Year to you Alexis!

I am glad I found that picture too - not sure how I missed it the first time, but oh well!

Thanks! Overall I was pretty happy with the PP photographers at DLR - at least the ones on the street seemed to make sure you got a lot of photos in different poses, etc. - better odds to get a least a couple of good ones :thumbsup2

Definitely nice. Seemed a little odd how he pointed out that he is allowed/required to give out a few a day or something ... but hey, I am not complaining!

She really would have been scared - that type of thing bothers her a lot more than thrill rides. Over the holidays we were at a local mall and inside they had a 5 story ropes course that she did with Judi, and no problem with that ... but ghosts and stuff like that bother her. That is why she hasn't done Tower of Terror yet - the drop part she would be fine with but not the ghosts or even just the scene setting in the boiler room, etc.

Chapter 23 - Disneyland - Part 4
October 16th
Um, I think someone is missing

We did get through most of our "must dos" for Tomorrowland and it was now time to head over to Disney California Adventure as we had the first of our FP coming ready. Apparently we were in a bit of a rush as I don't have much documentation before reaching our first destination. Plus we needed to make a costume change for the girls ;)

We were headed to meet with their favorite sisters who were featured in a little known movie called Frozen (you probably haven't heard of it). Anyway, at Disneyland they meet inside the Disney Animation building and it is referred to as Anna & Elsa’s Royal Welcome. It's an interesting set up as there are a number of attractions inside the building and the line for meeting the sisters is basically right in the middle of it. It is also interesting in that it is a FP only attraction - but they don't have signs or anything right at the line so you'd have tons of people come up and try to get in line only to be told they need a FP and then they get confused and all sorts of fun stuff.

Anyway, the room is pretty neat as it is full of projection screens that feature elements from different Disney animated movies and they all interact/related to each other. Also some go from sketches to full drawings, etc. I haven't been on a Disney Cruise but it feels to me similar to effects they have in Animator's Palate. I took quite a bit of video of it, and this gif has a sample of the effects:
35_Annimation%20Academy.gif

Even with the FP we had to wait over 30 mins which was kind of annoying but is what it is. While the main line is in the middle of the room, when you are close to the front the call you forward to wait in a short line before entering the room. While on this short line was one of the highlights of the trip for me as the CM working that line was wonderful! I wish I had gotten a clearer picture of him (that included his name tag as the memory is getting fuzzy):
36_Klaus%20at%20AampE%20meet.jpg

He was just so into his role and entertained the kids - he and Olivia had a lot of playful back-and-forths. I do remember he was from Switzerland and I think his accent fit into the line to meet Scandinavian royalty (I know Switzerland isn't Scandinavian, but just that type of accent seemed to fit). He was the bearer of some bad news in that apparently Anna had to help Kristoff with something so we would only be meeting Elsa

giphy.gif

We were informed that she would be back later if we wanted to come back again later .... though, the challenge with that is this is a FP only attraction so you can't really just come back later. I was rather afraid Peter would get pretty upset as he is truly an Anna kinda guy - but I think we downplayed it and just build up other things and stuff to minimize the impact and he did ok.

Fortunately who we met was probably the best friend of Elsa I've ever seen - or at least the most interactive - so that took the sting out of things.

First Peter and Olivia went up and then Judi walked Emma up. It was pretty funny as she just held Elsa's hands but was really distracted by myself and the PhotoPass Photopgrapher taking pictures so she isn't looking at Elsa for much of the conversation. It did lead to some cute and funny pictures - first a gif I got:
39_Kids%20with%20Elsa.gif

The a picture I got of the PP photographer taking her picture and then the shots the PP got:
37_Emma%20looking%20at%20PP%20photographer%20at%20Elsa%20meet.jpg

38_Emma%20looking%20at%20me%20during%20Elsa%20Meet.jpg
40_Emma%20PP%20close%20up.jpg

Then some group PP shots:
41_PP%20picture%20of%20kids%20with%20Elsa.jpg
42_PP%20picture%20of%20family%20with%20Elsa.jpg

and one last hug from Olivia:
43_PP%20picture%20of%20Olivia%20hugging%20Elsa.jpg

It was definitely disappointing to to meet the girls together as we are yet to do this (they had already separate them at WDW before we met them ... hopefully they have them together at the new M&G at EPCOT. But it was still a good meet and glad we did it!

After this we were getting a bit hungry so we started heading to the Cove Bar as there was one thing Judi and I really wanted to try. On the way we did see a bit of entertainment:
44_Mickey%20on%20Trolley.gif

While the streetmosphere is definitely different here than at MGM in WDW, I definitely still enjoyed that type of thing!

The other thing that happened on the way is that Peter and Emma fell asleep:
44_Peter%20and%20Emma%20asleep%20in%20stroller.jpg

Which worked out ok as they were getting hot and tired - and then we had a bit of a wait at the Cove Bar. They are doing some renovations there which maybe impacted seating - but seems like they just always have a bit of a line. While we waited Judi and Olivia went to get ice cream ... you know, just to set the stage in our stomachs a bit. Overall we had to wait close to 40 mins - but I think it was worth it. I think it took a little extra while as we needed a table we could fit the open stroller at/near with the younger two still asleep.

Finally we were led to a table with a pretty nice view of the pier ... and I tried to get artistic with a photo angle:
45_Artistic%20mickey%20chair%20at%20Cove%20Bar.jpg

I ordered a beer - which was an Oktoberfest from a local brewery, Karl Strauss - solid, if unspectatular:
46_Beer%201%20Octoberfest.jpg

Judi ordered the Pimms Punch, which should have been right up her alley but that she really didn't like:
47_Pimms%20Punch.jpg

(also, points to the guy in the back wearing the crown. Side story - the bathrooms for the Cove Bar are shared with Ariel's Grotto so you go down the stairs to the grotto to get to them, so there were a stack of those crowns out that everyone basically grabbed from on the way back from the bathroom. ... the more you know)

Olivia ordered the Fresh Lemonade with Wildberry Foam, which was actually really good!
48_Lemonade%20with%20Wildberry%20Foam.jpg

And now the real reason we came to the Cove Bar - the Lobster Nachos:
49_Lobster%20Nachos.jpg

This was basically our reaction:
tumblr_lrcrz2sG5i1qf0ev7o3_400.gif

yeah, these were awesome! Definitely worth the wait!!! Lots of lobster on it too!

I then ordered another beer, which was the IPA also from Karl Strauss and I liked it better:
51_Beer%202%20IPA.jpg

Judi couldn't finish her other drink and had them swap it out for the Raspberry Ginger Mohito. She liked this better but it still wasn't great. I have to say that I was looking up online to make sure what we ordered and her drinks definitely look a bit different in other pictures - so I am wondering if it was more the bartender that was the issue)
50_Raspberry-Ginger%20Mojito.jpg

Peter and Emma slept through the whole thing.

Coming up - we take advantage of them sleeping and have Olivia go on some rides!

TTFN

That really is a bummer that you didn't get to meet Anna. I don't get why they think it's cool to do that, especially when it's advertised as being both of them. But the pics with Elsa came out great and I'm glad the interaction made up for the lack of Anna.

I agree, the streetmosphere at CA is really fun!

Ah I wish we were able to get to Cove Bar on our trip, but it was always crowded. I think the renovation has opened up more space. I'm glad you waited and enjoyed it! The nachos look incredible!

When we went to Disneyland in 2014, Anna and Elsa were still meeting in Fantasyland. The wait was about 3 hours. We knew we were going to see them in WDW, so most of us didn't want to meet them, except my 18 year old son. When the rest of us went back to the hotel, he decided to wait in the 120 minute line. We thought he was crazy, but he wanted a picture with both of them. People kept asking if he was holding a space for his family, and he would tell them that they were back at the hotel. The wait ended up only being an hour and he loved that meet and greet so much.

I am sorry your kids didn't get to meet them both together.

I have never been able to convince the kids to stop for the lobster nachos. Might have to try to talk them into it. None of them are real nacho eaters.

Loving the trip report.

Third, apologies for lack of update here - just been busy with the holiday
Don't apologize. I appreciate you not leaving me too far behind.

well, not quite yet. There were a few places that I knew I wanted to get photos of the family at, and we came across one that had a relatively short line for the photopass photographer - so we only got as far as the Partner's Statue. The photographer did a good job getting a number of poses:
Come on, Dad! Enough pictures, let's go ride something!!!!

Afterward we stopped by a stand to get a bottle of cold water as it was already starting to get pretty hot. And the CM working the stand mentioned that he is allowed to share some pixie dust a few times a day and pixedusted us a free Churro! Now, I enjoy a normal Churro, but a free Churro? That tasted that much sweeter!
Free churro??? Heck yeah!!!!

After the free Churro we still had a bit of time to wait until our Space Mountain FP window so we decided to head to another attraction that I was looking forward to comparing to the WDW version (though in the end, there wasn't much comparison). So with that, we were off to Autopia!
Definitely no comparison to the WDW version. After experiencing it DL, I'm even more in favor of bulldozing it at WDW and putting something better there.

Then I took a spin with Peter - while he could have driven he indicated he wanted to ride ... which made it hard for me to take pictures, with this being the only two that came out:
You're on a rail... just let go of the wheel and take all the pictures you want!

In fact, excitement built too much that Olivia decided she didn't want to ride. She had ridden Space Mountain at WDW so I thought she'd be fine and tried to encourage her but the thought of the ghosts and images from the signs were just too much for her .... we we went out a chicken exit and found Judi and the other kids. Then I went back in to ride (and got a rider swap for Judi as wasn't sure we would both fit within the FP window) and eventually got on the ride.

And I have to say that Olivia was 100% right in not riding. I loved it but it was pretty darn scary. This wasn't fun ghosts like in the Haunted Mansion or anything, these were giant flame demons that took swipes at you combined with pretty intense music. She really would have been scared.
I'm glad that it apparently worked out for the best that she didn't ride. I'd like to see the overlay on it, but I had no idea it was that elaborate! I figured it was just some sound effects and maybe a little bit of lighting.

Even with the FP we had to wait over 30 mins which was kind of annoying but is what it is
Well, with no standby line, you're basically being given an FP for the standby line.

He was the bearer of some bad news in that apparently Anna had to help Kristoff with something so we would only be meeting Elsa
Oh no... this really stinks.

Fortunately who we met was probably the best friend of Elsa I've ever seen - or at least the most interactive - so that took the sting out of things.
I think she had to be more interactive. She didn't have Anna there to pick up the slack.

Judi couldn't finish her other drink and had them swap it out for the Raspberry Ginger Mohito. She liked this better but it still wasn't great. I have to say that I was looking up online to make sure what we ordered and her drinks definitely look a bit different in other pictures - so I am wondering if it was more the bartender that was the issue)
Sorry the drinks weren't up to par. I'd say it seems like a likely possibility that the bartender was definitely to blame. At least the nachos made it worthwhile.

The lobster nachos were the one thing I super regret not getting at DCA! I had it on my list of have-to-try things, but after our lunch at Carthay Circle, I was just too stuffed for the rest of the day. I also never got to try a Disneyland corn dog, churro, or Tigger tail because I ate at too many table service restaurants and was full all the time. Oh well, at least I have stuff on my list to try for next time!

Kind of a little late to the game, but we had the same issues with character interactions. While I found that there were so much more than at WDW, it was so chaotic and we had so much misinformation from cast members as to where they would be and when they would be coming back, that we missed out on lots of opportunities. Skeleton Goofy was one that we wanted SO bad, but every time we saw him, his line was cut off, and when asked when he would return, it seems we always got the wrong information.

Still had an amazing time though and absolutely loved Disneyland. Your trip looks like its going great so far! Can't wait to read the rest.

Thank you! That was definitely one spot I wanted some pictures and I think they come out pretty well! Overall we were pretty happy with the PP photographers we had at DLR - at least the ones on the street (hit or miss at the character meets, etc.)

No, there is not a height requirement for Buzz at DL (though we didn't bring Emma on it as I don't think you can have someone on a lap, but not 100% positive

To be fair, they never indicated it wasn't scary ... just usually things are a little toned down at Disney, but this definitely wasn't. And I know she liked regular Space Mountain at WDW, so didn't want her to miss out - but she definitely made the right call!

yeah - she definitely shows the fright on her face. I was surprised how intense the projections and music and evertthing was ... seemed like something more for Universal Horror Nights, not something at Disney!

There were a few places I know I wanted to get pictures and I think we did a good job - missed a few, but got a lot of the main ones. I think because I am usually the one behind the camera I push for more photopass pictures so that I am at least in a couple of pictures :rotfl2:

Despite how similar the main parks are there definitely is a different feel between WDW and DLR. I am a tourist to both places and I am sure the difference is even bigger to people that had DLR as just their local/home park to then get to the massiveness that is WDW!

This was our first time to California at all and the kids first time to/in the Pacific Ocean (Judi and I had gone to Neuva Vaerta once before to the beaches, and once to Seattle, though didn't go in the water there) - the beaches where really nice, at least the ones we went to. I think some Florida beaches give it a run for it's money - but they are definitely more hit-or-miss

So there are certain drinks that if you order them "effects" go off in the bar. So in the animated gif the volcano erupting in the picture happens because someone ordered the Krakatoa Punch

• Shipwreck on the Rocks → The ship in a bottle above the bar encounters stormy seas and begins to sink.
  • Krakatoa Punch → The serene Polynesian scene outside the faux window shows a storm gathering as the volcano begins to erupt.
  • Shrunken Zombie Head → Certain barstools will begin lowering toward the floor. (Bartenders can also just mess with customers by doing this independently of drink orders.)
  • Uh Oa! → The bartender rings a bell and people begin chanting "Uh OA! Uh OA! Uh OA OA OA!" and employees spray water into the air so it feels like it's beginning to rain.
  • Draft Beer → Beer draft handles are carved tiki heads with lighted eyes. When a bartender pulls a draft, tiki drums and chants begin to play. The more drafts that are pulled in succession, the faster the drums and chanting.

Wow! I had no idea it could be that fun! Thanks for the info. I would agree about FL, i'm sure. I have only been to Cocoa Beach for a quick peek. One thing about San Diego is that it gets cold in May and June at the beach. I'm pretty sure not in FL.

Following... Your kids are adorable! Love the tie dyed matching shirts... and your wife's 'new' short hair cut is super cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter