Toy Story Mania

battymum

DIS Veteran
I have heard nothing but hysteria about this ride - so of course we will be there at rope drop to head for it - what is the general plan - do people head straight to the ride or for fastpasses -

Will it be ok for one adult to head for fastpass (probably me) and the rest to standby - and can I join them in the line (I am willing to sit it out, if it will offend others and use the fastpass later, but hey if thats what everyone else does........)

As a family of five I believe one of us would have to ride alone which would not be as much fun anyway.

Thier was no fast pass for this ride when i was there in november,But if you head straight there on rope drop you will be fine, they dont let you run at all but a fast walk will see you on this ride fairly quickly, They do let 3 people sit together but i think it only has 2 guns.

Thier was no fast pass for this ride when i was there in november,But if you head straight there on rope drop you will be fine, they dont let you run at all but a fast walk will see you on this ride fairly quickly, They do let 3 people sit together but i think it only has 2 guns.

sorry i was refering to DisneyLand only

Well when we went that is generally what people did, but we didn't have anybody push past us in line to get to their family. But when the ride first opens you are pretty much walking walking walking deep into the line (if you are there at rope drop).

We actually went on (didn't get fastpasses) and because its a very very long line inside the building, we walked at a slow steady pace until we were almost on the ride. We then got off and went straight and got more fastpasses and they were for very late afternoon.

I would say that if you went to the fastpass queue (which was almost as long as the ride line :rotfl2: ), unless you were at the front of the fastpass queue, Then it would be very hard to push past so many people and actually find your family, but they could go and you sit it out and you all go later again with the FP's. But you could give it a go. Being 5 of you, I would just race like rabbits to the line and u get the fastpasses and see how you go or get the fastpasses after (and no later as they do run out quite early, but you should have time to ride the ride) or get fastpasses and ride it later (or then join the standby queue)

When you get in to DHS, stick to the left side of Hollywood Boulevard. When the rope drops, you walk...walk...walk, no running, and follow the cast member to Pixar Place.

I was there with Firefly...she gave me her pass. I went to get fastpasses and she got in line. Took me 3 minutes to get fastpasses with a return time after 10.10 am; and Firefly got in the stand-by line halfway to the Muppets fountain (she was a little slower than me). I figure we were about mid-field by the time she got in line. I managed to find her easy enough and no one around us made a fuss about me joining her as we were still outside the building. It took us 25 minutes to go through as stand-by and I thought it was worth the time. The theming of the stand-by area is pretty interesting and there are photos in my Oct TR, if you're interested.

We then came back a bit later in the day fastpass....still took us 10-15 mins to get on the ride. In the fastpass queue, you join the stand-by queue either at the bottom or the top of the stairs. Then you have to snake down again.

We were there at rope drop, DD12 had out tickets ready to get fastpasses, we walked 'briskly' behind her, just as she reached the line an older lady pulled her arm so she was pulled out of the way. The queue for fastpasses was short, so as soon as she got them we all jumped in line to ride, which had not yet reached the outside of entrance. We rode it once, used our fastpassses after 10am and picked up another fastpass for later in the day. We enjoyed this ride.

Interestingly the night we were at Magic Kingdom it was pouring rain, we walked onto Buzz Light Year about three times in a row with no wait at all. We had so much fun that night. The two girls did not even have to disembark the teacups as there was no one there waiting.

I can't wait for this ride, 1. because I love Toy Story and 2. because it will promote healthy competition between me and DBF :rotfl: I can't wait to kick his behind... hopefully :rotfl2:

Anybody got any tips for high scores. Really want to beat him :)

As you can see I play fair.

We were there at rope drop, DD12 had out tickets ready to get fastpasses, we walked 'briskly' behind her, just as she reached the line an older lady pulled her arm so she was pulled out of the way. The queue for fastpasses was short, so as soon as she got them we all jumped in line to ride, which had not yet reached the outside of entrance. We rode it once, used our fastpassses after 10am and picked up another fastpass for later in the day. We enjoyed this ride.

We did the same. DH went ahead and the rest of us walked. We had 4 kids to shepherd and then 2 strollers to park. When we joined the standby line, it was outside the entrance but because the lines hadn't filled inside yet so to speak, we continued to walk until nearly the end where there was a very short wait to hop into the actual cars.

DH found us and joined in easily enough He was way up in front and was one of the firsts to get the fastpasses. Stay right for fastpasses and left for the standby line.

yep - like the others we did the rope drop thing, got the fast passes then rode standby which wasn't a very long wait. But in all the times I've done this ride the CMs at the standby door have not let a person enter the inside queue until all members of the party are together. They seem to actively stop letting people catch up wth the rest of their party inside the building. I've seen them make people stop at the door and wait to one side until their missing person turns up. People jump into the queue all the time in the outside queue.
Disneyland doesn't have fast pass for this ride

I went in December and didnt do a fastpass but waited until the end of the night and got in line at about 7.45pm (park was closing at 8pm), while most people were looking at the lights show, and there was a large line but it seemed to move fairly quickly. I was told if you are in line for something when the park closes hey have to let those in line go through. I was traveling solo that day and just wanted to see what it was about so worked out perfectly. I had walked past several times during the day and the line was outside and not moving most of the time. I thought it was a lot of fun :)

We were there on Dec 10 and 11. We went on the ride on the 10th but only because we had a single use open fast pass due to a resort screw up. Both days fast passes were gone for the whole day by around 10am. Ride was a lot of fun but I wouldn't have waited in the standby line, as every time we went by the wait was at least 70 mins and at times 180 mins.

My family's favourite ride out of both parks! We were at DLR for three days, one day at each park and then the last split across both. We went between the 17-21st January and as we approached this ride around midday my stomach instantly dropped. "Oh this was the ride that everyone mentioned on DIS boards that had hour long lines!" Well, what would you know, it said there was a 20 minute line, so I convinced my family that this was amazing considering what I'd heard so we lined up. 10 minutes later and we were wearing our funky yellow glasses, shooting around the ride. We got off and it had a 30 minute line up. Went on it again later that day and it was only 20 minutes. When we returned to DCA for our 'half day' the line was long, 35 minutes, but it took around 25-30 minutes to get on. After dinner we decided to have one last ride before we said goodbye to DLR, so we decided TSMM was it. Well we experienced the longest line up for the entire trip (across both parks) but it was well worth it. 45 minutes later, we had all beaten our personal best scores and waved good bye to Mr. Potato Head.

I can see why this ride is so popular! It's just fun! They're so tricky in moving the line around, the first two times we rode we never went through that room on the far right end, instead going straight to the glasses area, but the other times we did, although the last night we were "lucky" enough to go through all "sides" of the line if that makes sense (as in, the whole maze). I don't get why it isn't a Fast Pass ride, but it loads pretty quickly once you get to the back of Mr. Potato Head.

We went on this it DL in July and it was a blast we would go on it at about 10:30 pm you basically walked straight on the longest we waited was 10 mins some nights they let us stay on and go around again.
On one night the kids just kept getting of and going back around and managed 8 times in one night. This was our most ridden ride of our 6 days. We all loved it.
We never lined up during the day at all as we discovered the no line our first night there. We rode lots of rides between 10pm and midnight every night and left the park most nights about 1am.
We were also told by a CM that as long as you were in line for a ride before closing you would get on as long as there was no breakdown.
Sorry rambling about DL

So my kids have corrected me all the above is correct but i was talking about the buzz lightyear spaceranger spin sorry. We didn't get near toy story mainia that part closed early for World of colour and the lines were hours long my youngest is still upset by that so my older boys are already planning on how to get the pastpasses for everyone!

That's the exact same strategy we used. I think it's reffered to the infamous "Toy Story Mania Dash" here on the boards. My kids still talk about the day we did it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter